Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-05-2007, 09:41 PM   #1
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ford Falcon XY GTHO question

I posted this in the pub section as it's a general question.

My question is, the GTHO, what extra did it have that the normal GT had, I know that the HO is for Handling Option (originally it was going to be High Output), so the GTHO has the rear spoiler I notice, what else did it also have? Im not a newbie on cars, I just don't know much about this particular model. I want to do a ground up build up of a XY GTHO replica and would like to build it to original specs.

Any help would be great!

ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2007, 10:59 PM   #2
1970galaxie
Fat 460

There's no way you will be able to build it to original specs.
I doubt you'll find it easy with the rev limiter. Then there will be getting hold of the original Holley. Then there's the vacuum tank, top ball joints, rear sway bar.........
2003 BA XR8 Ute. Blood Orange. 5.4/5 speed.
2006 Territory Turbo. Silhouette. 4.0/6 speed auto.
1970galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2007, 11:02 PM   #3
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So you can't build one to original specs,unless you somehow get custom parts made, which would be very expensive.

So what options you could get on the GTHO, I think power-steering was not available, nor ws air con, sapped the engine of power? It had a long range fuel tank, or all GT's had this?
Old 11-05-2007, 11:03 PM   #4
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive listed some of the main differences elsewhere.. there are a considerable number of differences and hard to get/fabricate parts...
Id say it would cost well over 60K to build a GOOD and accurate replica of a HO.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:09 PM   #5
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Ive listed some of the main differences elsewhere.. there are a considerable number of differences and hard to get/fabricate parts...
Id say it would cost well over 60K to build a GOOD and accurate replica of a HO.
So it is possible, but with a lot of expense.

Things such as brakes and that are easy to do, you can get very good brake kits from Hoppers Stoppers, they may not be original GTHO brakes, but with something like that you have no choice.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:15 PM   #6
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford man xf
So it is possible, but with a lot of expense.

Things such as brakes and that are easy to do, you can get very good brake kits from Hoppers Stoppers, they may not be original GTHO brakes, but with something like that you have no choice.
Its possible to build an identical replica... but it sounds like it wont matter how accurate it will be if you're prepared to compromise on the brakes, they're the least of your worries in terms or rarity or hard to get parts...

Old 11-05-2007, 11:17 PM   #7
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Its possible to build an identical replica... but it sounds like it wont matter how accurate it will be if you're prepared to compromise on the brakes, they're the least of your worries in terms or rarity or hard to get parts...
Yes I know, it will be a big challenge. What is the best XY model to get, a stocky 6 cylinder, a fairmont, if I was to competely strip the car, then just a standard 6 cylinder, or a V8 model to make it easy to register as a V8?
Old 11-05-2007, 11:30 PM   #8
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes I know, it will be a big challenge. What is the best XY model to get, a stocky 6 cylinder, a fairmont, if I was to competely strip the car, then just a standard 6 cylinder, or a V8 model to make it easy to register as a V8?
Best advice? buy a DAMN good replica for 40-50K and add the HO bits to it...
There's been a few good XYGT replicas sold recently for 40-45K..
e.g: http://www.australianmusclecarsales....cle_view/94548
this car needs about 5-10K in mods to be 100% accurate.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:14 AM   #9
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2007, 01:21 AM   #10
1970galaxie
Fat 460

If it was me, I wouldn't bother building up a replica. They have been done to death.
At car shows, you can see people mumbling under their breath, talking about "that Faker".
I'd find a good body to start with, save the huge money you would spend on GTing it, and do a real nice custom job. Something individual. Something that would let people know that it was done by you.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:26 AM   #11
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

Well, if ya want to build a an XY GT HO replica, you can , if you spend the time and $$$$$$ to do it ! My mate built one over the last 10 years adn he sold it nearly 2 years ago now , for $29000 . Today he would have got closer to $50000 easy. While it was not a down to the nitty gritty replica, it was very damn good! Didnt have the GT spec engine bay or the correct mats in the boot or even GT wheels! It was Yellow Glow in color ,aluminium shaker ,mirrors,and boot spoiler and had a brand new close to GT interior , and from the out side it looked every bit a HO with tinted windows and 16" billet mags! It was a car he had yearned for ever since he was a boy and couldnt afford one! So when he could afford one , he still couldnt buy a genuine at the right price, so He built one himself! He is kicking himself for selling but family and business come first !

As to all the people out there that treat you like youve done something wrong if you want a replica GT , they obviously dont have the passion or the understanding of what these cars meant to people. Yet they would probly be the first to see a replica AC Cobra and go "WOW, Look at the Cobra !" The number of people out there these days that want anXY GT or even a HO would be at least 5 to 10 times more than the total number ever built by the Factory! I know one day in the future I will have my own homage to the greatest production car ever built in Australia sitting in my garage, I already have the space marked out for it and the XY Fairmont in storage! Now all I need is the time and money to complete one of my dreams ! Mine will look every bit the XY GT HO from the outside , but will outperform one where it counts , on the racetrack !

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Blue Oval Mopar Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2007, 10:05 AM   #12
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A couple of points, unless its near on identical to the original thing i don't know how people call them "replicas" anyway.. because they're not a true "replica" of the original thing.. and secondly, i also believe the money would be better spent on restoring a fairmont or GS or just buying a cheaper model genuine GT or maybe a Fairmont GT...

Old 12-05-2007, 06:58 PM   #13
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Aparently the South African export GT's are the way to go, can someone tell me if they are the same specs as the Australian version? I see people importing them a fair bit, and at a cheap price.

What options would I put in a GT replica, power steering, air con, would sap a bit of power, but have the luxuries of a Fairmont.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:27 PM   #14
Ridin-High

People calling them fakers are just haters, the only people that can call them fakers is people who own a original

Ps. Yes i have used the search button mum....
Ridin-High is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2007, 10:51 PM   #15
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Build it to look like one, but improve the mechanicals to suit.
Disc brake rear end, electronic ignition, even efi if you want.
Old 13-05-2007, 10:49 PM   #16
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You think maybe put an injected 5 litre or 5.4 litre boss in it? Do they fit ok?
Old 13-05-2007, 10:57 PM   #17
nb_351
building the xe...

youd be better off investing in the clevo for reliability and power... too much headaches for 302, not sure about boss, someone may be able to shed some light...
read the latest street machine, theres an article on building a costeffective 500 hpp clevo... in that purple xa coupe... i think its street machine, one of the ones i have at home anyway...
a well sorted xw/xy with 500hp will be more fun to drive than ho, but there jts wont be that extra sense if it was a ho...
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2007, 11:02 PM   #18
1970galaxie
Fat 460

Look, you need to decide on what you wanna do.
First you say you wanna build a HO replica right down to the finest details, then you ask about putting a Boss 5.4 in it.
Old 13-05-2007, 11:18 PM   #19
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you're going to deviate even slightly from the original spec for christs sake dont put GT badges or stripes on it PLEASE!!!

Old 14-05-2007, 02:56 PM   #20
fordfuntastic
Banned

At the end of the day it will always be a REPLICA and non original. Thats OK if you can settle for this and relive the past (a bygone era) and take it to the open highway -------but to try and sell it and fool someone to make easy cash is plain and simple fraud !Enjoy what once was and move ahead unless you want an investment car of $750000 sitting around doing nothing in a high security shed outside Guantanomo bay!
fordfuntastic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2007, 09:06 PM   #21
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970galaxie
Look, you need to decide on what you wanna do.
First you say you wanna build a HO replica right down to the finest details, then you ask about putting a Boss 5.4 in it.
That was the whole point of this thread, to work out what is possible and what is not, if I CAN make a HO replica, then it will be exactly how they came out of the factory, but if you can't do it, then there are other options, personally I want to make it to exact standards as a HO, if that cn't be done, then exact GT standards, inlcuding engine, none of this Gen 3 **** like some utter clown did with a GT replica.
Old 14-05-2007, 09:30 PM   #22
BJ
Banned

[QUOTE=1970galaxie]There's no way you will be able to build it to original specs.
Quote:
I doubt you'll find it easy with the rev limiter.
Still available through www.autokrafters.com

Quote:
Then there will be getting hold of the original Holley
Again available through www.autokrafters.com

Quote:
Then there's the vacuum tank
Once again available through the above company.

Quote:
top ball joints, rear sway bar.........
And most of this you can get through either Ford Performance in Niddrie or Grand Tourer in Campbellfield.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2007, 10:03 PM   #23
1970galaxie
Fat 460

I said, "I doubt you'll find it easy.....".
I didn't say they can't be found.
I'm having trouble finding the damn stuff on the Auto Krafters website as it is!
Help us out and give the link to the items.
Old 15-05-2007, 04:02 PM   #24
67RCE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin-High
People calling them fakers are just haters, the only people that can call them fakers is people who own a original
Mate, a faker is something imitating some thing that it isnt, IE XY 500 being done up as a GT Replica, its a Faker
67RCE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2007, 08:35 PM   #25
Falchoon

Quote:
You think maybe put an injected 5 litre or 5.4 litre boss in it? Do they fit ok?
There was a workshop that put a Boss 260 in an XY ute, there was a thread about it with pics. It wasn't a bolt in fit, shock towers had to be modified among other things. Not worth it IMO. Cheaper and easier to build and fit a 260kw (~350hp) 351 Clevo.

As for the Faker comments, not everyone has a spare couple of hundred thousand dollars or so to spend on a real GT. Not a lot of people have a spare $40K either to buy a Faker. :
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2007, 09:03 PM   #26
shedguy
Its dirty 'cos I drive it

Quote:
I posted this in the pub section as it's a general question.

My question is, the GTHO, what extra did it have that the normal GT had, I know that the HO is for Handling Option (originally it was going to be High Output), so the GTHO has the rear spoiler I notice, what else did it also have? Im not a newbie on cars, I just don't know much about this particular model. I want to do a ground up build up of a XY GTHO replica and would like to build it to original specs.

Any help would be great!

ORIGIONAL SPECS!! Good luck with that ... not because you can't get the parts anymore (most thing are there for the right $ka-ching$ ) but WHO'S origional specs are you going to use? I owned a GT "lookalike" a few years ago that passed most tests but there was ALWAYS something - sway bar diam. , spot welds on firewalls, WRONG COLOURED WIRING!! LOL ...
I never claimed the car was a GT - but it was just amazing to sit back and watch people walk around it and pick...pick...pick .... !!
Do yourself a favour - Build what YOU want .... and let them pick!
Old 15-05-2007, 09:21 PM   #27
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Imagine a BF GT under a XW (or xy) GT skin...
DOHC, IRS, Big disc brakes all round 6 speed ...
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2007, 10:28 PM   #28
v8falconsrule
Blue ~oval~ Blooded!!!

it always ammusses me when these threads pop up- just how many people will bash any sort of new or fresh ideas. :
the simple answer is this- if YOU want to spend YOUR money building up a gt replica to as near perfect as you can get it- then do it!..... however if YOU would rather go the full new car in old classic body- then you should definently do that!

At the end of the day it is YOUR car, YOUR cash, and YOUR time- so do what YOU want!... it works for me :

50th Anniv G6E Turbo in Sensation
Cobalt blue 94 ED XR8 Sprint- resto/ project
v8falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2007, 12:08 AM   #29
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8falconsrule
it always ammusses me when these threads pop up- just how many people will bash any sort of new or fresh ideas. :
the simple answer is this- if YOU want to spend YOUR money building up a gt replica to as near perfect as you can get it- then do it!..... however if YOU would rather go the full new car in old classic body- then you should definently do that!

At the end of the day it is YOUR car, YOUR cash, and YOUR time- so do what YOU want!... it works for me :
READ THE FIRST POST before typing irrelevant ramblings...

Old 16-05-2007, 12:40 AM   #30
dannorris
Starter Motor

Default xy knockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67RCE
Mate, a faker is something imitating some thing that it isnt, IE XY 500 being done up as a GT Replica, its a Faker
I had to have a say !!!!
well then there are a lot of fakers around that absolutley up stage the originals isnt there ?and by the way ,me, I just enjoy admirring the work done !a person who brands craftmanship as a faker are just to darn lazy to put it on the line and do it them selves they just buy it off the shelf then brag !!! on how much they paid ?and how fast it goes ! wha wha wha
to all the faker builders keep up the great work good on ya .keep it alive
let the knockers stand in the gutter and take the pics.
(oh : by the way I own a ba xr8,au,el and a xw converted to a xy shaker faker)
and loving it !!!!!!!regards dan
dannorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post