Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-04-2007, 08:08 PM   #1
Pazza
Above the Law

Default XR8 (220) V Fairmont 8

Hi Guys,

Whats the difference in feel between the Fairmont 4.9ltr and the 220 kw xr8. Does the xr* pull a lot harder?

Pazza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 08:11 PM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazza
Hi Guys,

Whats the difference in feel between the Fairmont 4.9ltr and the 220 kw xr8. Does the xr* pull a lot harder?
XR8 220 is 220 kw and the mont is 175kw from memory.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 08:30 PM   #3
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I have never been in a 220kw but I would say it would pull a lot harder and faster than a stock 'mont.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 08:43 PM   #4
Pazza
Above the Law

Also with small mods, would the 220 kw engine get better response / outcome or would the 175kw fairmont engine? where all fairmont ghia's 175kw with the 8?
Old 23-04-2007, 08:54 PM   #5
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

If you are thinking off modding, then you will get a better motor allready with the 220, to start with, are you trying to chosse between a 'mont and a XR???.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 08:54 PM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

Yep all V8 Fairmonts had the 175kw V8, main differences between it and the one used in the XR8's was the tuning and the exhaust system, otherwise it's the same heads, intake etc. 220's got a bit of massaging in those areas courtesy of YT but it's much of a muchness when you're talking about overall performance.

Fairmonts only got the 3.23 ratio diff whereas XR's got 3.45, think you'll find the Fairmont speed limited to 180 too, the 6 definitely is but Im unsure of the 8.

Comparing a stock V8 Fairmont to a stock XR8, the XR8 will eat you (as you would expect), if you want to get the Fairmont going a bit, a good exhaust and tune would be a good starting point.

If you're tossing up which car to get, I'd go the XR and bling up the interior, or find one with leather optioned already. The only thing you'd be missing out on is the dash and the climate control, and you're a mile ahead in terms of performance.
Old 23-04-2007, 09:04 PM   #7
Pazza
Above the Law

yes i am tossing up between the xr8 (if i go this way i will hold out until i find the xr8 series 3) with leather. i like the classy look and feel of the fairmont ghia interior. so thats why my decission is so hard.
Old 23-04-2007, 09:13 PM   #8
swanee
spoolin!

Buy a T-series and have the best of both worlds.

Previous Rides - 2014 Black Mica PX XLT Ranger Dual Cab 3.2 Diesel

2011 FPV GS 315 Sedan. Sunburst, manual, fully optioned. Build #165.

My 1955 Ford Thunderbird Project (A tribute to my late mother) - 1955 Thunderbird Build Thread
swanee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 09:18 PM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
yes i am tossing up between the xr8 (if i go this way i will hold out until i find the xr8 series 3) with leather. i like the classy look and feel of the fairmont ghia interior. so thats why my decission is so hard.
If youre holding out for a Series III cos of the 220, some of the AU2's got that as well. For any prospective car you find and you like, just check the build date, that'll tell you if it has a 220 in it or not. I *think* they started using them after April 2001 - double check that though.

The dash IMHO is not enough to decide which car to buy, I have an XR8 which has the standard dash layout and it's fine. If it bugs you that much, do a dash swap (lot of work though!).

Trust me, once you drive an XR8, your decision will be made. :hihi:
Old 23-04-2007, 09:25 PM   #10
Pazza
Above the Law

yea i am yet to drive one. It is still on my to do list, i am unsure as to whether or not you actually get your monies worth for the xr8.. apart from the engine its pretty crappy lol imo...
Old 23-04-2007, 09:25 PM   #11
The Mighty Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanee
Buy a T-series and have the best of both worlds.

Good Call......
Old 23-04-2007, 09:31 PM   #12
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
yea i am yet to drive one. It is still on my to do list, i am unsure as to whether or not you actually get your monies worth for the xr8.. apart from the engine its pretty crappy lol imo...
Riiiiiiiight, so name me a car other than an XR8 that you get a V8, bodykit, leather, MOMO gear (if optioned), airbags, CD player and all the other usual mod cons in for the same price as what you pay for an XR8 now.

I think you'll find it difficult.
Old 23-04-2007, 09:32 PM   #13
Pazza
Above the Law

looked at a t series. Cant get insurance, i'm only 21. well i can.. but i may as well buy a ferrari for the price they wanna slug me with. also parts are expensive i hear, as you cant get much these days as tickford have gone bust, and those who do sell parts can charge what they wish as it is a rare part you will be needing.
Old 23-04-2007, 09:34 PM   #14
Pazza
Above the Law

yes b2tf you have me there. I think i am being picky, my brother owns a BA GT and my old man drives an BA XR6... im talking in terms of finished product. looks, style wise...
Old 23-04-2007, 09:48 PM   #15
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

For a start, Stock auto 175kw V8s do about 125 rwkw. Stock auto 220kw XR8s do about 150rwkw (though I have seen one pull 160). It doesn't take rocket science to pick up the missing 30 odd rwkw, and you can do it reasonably cheaply.

If I were to look for a V8 again, I would go the Fairmont (series 2 or 3), then get Pacemaker or Hurricane headers (Tri-Ys), plus twin 2.5" system, and a flash tune, and it would be up around the 150/160 rwkw mark which is what a stock auto/manual 220 puts out too. If you get a set of 1.72 roller rockers, you'll pick up another 5 or so rwkw, and then the engine internals are just about the same as the 220 - the only difference will be the TB, but the 65mm does a good job anyway; the 70mm one is just overkill, IMO.

As a real world example, I got to around 150 (147, IIRC) with my AU2 Forte V8 with just exhaust.

The edit/flash tune will allow you to tune it for PULP, which the 220s have to run anyway, and should net you around 10rwkw on it's own. The Fairmonts will be low to mid teens, whereas the XR8 will be mid to high teens/low 20s, so the money you save on purchase price (say around $4k) will easily pay for the exhaust and flash tune.

Plus, with the Fairmont, you can then get a T series kit (around $3k painted and fitted), and no-one will know the difference, apart from the genuine Ford enthusiast.

Here you go, a few examples at dealers - private sale prices should be lower again.
Dealer Fairmont V8s on Carsales

Private Sale V8 Fairmonts on Carsales
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT

Last edited by JC; 23-04-2007 at 09:54 PM.
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 09:59 PM   #16
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
For a start, Stock auto 175kw V8s do about 125 rwkw. Stock auto 220kw XR8s do about 150rwkw (though I have seen one pull 160). It doesn't take rocket science to pick up the missing 30 odd rwkw, and you can do it reasonably cheaply.

If I were to look for a V8 again, I would go the Fairmont (series 2 or 3), then get Pacemaker or Hurricane headers (Tri-Ys), plus twin 2.5" system, and a flash tune, and it would be up around the 150/160 rwkw mark which is what a stock auto/manual 220 puts out too. If you get a set of 1.72 roller rockers, you'll pick up another 5 or so rwkw, and then the engine internals are just about the same as the 220 - the only difference will be the TB, but the 65mm does a good job anyway; the 70mm one is just overkill, IMO.

As a real world example, I got to around 150 (147, IIRC) with my AU2 Forte V8 with just exhaust.

The edit/flash tune will allow you to tune it for PULP, which the 220s have to run anyway, and should net you around 10rwkw on it's own. The Fairmonts will be low to mid teens, whereas the XR8 will be mid to high teens/low 20s, so the money you save on purchase price (say around $4k) will easily pay for the exhaust and flash tune.

Plus, with the Fairmont, you can then get a T series kit (around $3k painted and fitted), and no-one will know the difference, apart from the genuine Ford enthusiast.

Here you go, a few examples at dealers - private sale prices should be lower again.
Dealer Fairmont V8s on Carsales

Private Sale V8 Fairmonts on Carsales
Bugger it JC I just had him keen on an XR8 and now you go and do that to me. Far out! :

Seriously though, all of what has been said on here aside, drive them both and let that make your decision for you. And if you want a ute, philstoj has one hell of a nice example in the FS forums with all the hard work done.
Old 23-04-2007, 10:07 PM   #17
BLACKAUXR8
Young !@#$ Head

Im 21 and have a series 3 220 my insurance is 2200 but on the other hand my dad has the au fairmont and my wifes 6cl au with an exaust and a shift kit beats the fairmont. so i think the decision should be relativly easy.
BLACKAUXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 10:10 PM   #18
Norton
Tuned by HPF

Hey Pazza,

You know my opinion......(Go the Fairmont Ghia V8).

As JC said, the rwkw are not that hard to find to match an XR8, but I think it would be hard for any XR8 to match a Fairmont Ghia for Mod cons and interior look.

It would be more expensive to bring an XR8 up to Fairmont Ghia standard then it would be to bring a Fairmont Ghia up to XR8's rwkw's.

Pazza, I spent 12 weeks looking for a car when I purchased mine, I actually drove 3 XR8's and 4 Fairmont Ghia's. Although I loved the engine in the XR8's (220kw) to me they were not much more then a Falcon with a great engine (Not having a dig guy's, just an opinion).

Don't get me wrong, they are a great car (Series 3 is one of the best AU's built) I just wanted more in my car then a high output motor.

It really comes down to what you want in a car, if you want the performance spend the couple of grand more and get a series 3 manual XR8, if you want luxury with a little less power go the series 3 Fairmont Ghia V8.

If I was you I would go the AU3 Fairmont Ghia V8 and spend the extra couple of grand on engine mods, you may find it pushes power levels close to the XR8.

If I had my choice again it would be:

1. T Series - Any of them
2. AU3 Fairmont Ghia V8
3. AU3 XR8 220kw

You may also find insurance is cheaper for the Fairmont Ghia V's the XR8.

Hope this helps......I feel your pain!! :hihi:

www.aufalcon.com/norton :
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 10:16 PM   #19
BLACKAUXR8
Young !@#$ Head

Another question is do you want a manual or and auto. XR you can get manual fairmont your looking at around 4000 for a manual conversion.
BLACKAUXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 10:17 PM   #20
Norton
Tuned by HPF

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKAUXR8
Im 21 and have a series 3 220 my insurance is 2200 but on the other hand my dad has the au fairmont and my wifes 6cl au with an exaust and a shift kit beats the fairmont. so i think the decision should be relativly easy.
$2200 for insurance, that heaps!!!

Is it all about who has the fastest car off the mark????

The XR8 may beat the Fairmont but the Mont will get you to the same destination in alot more comfort and style _2:

Maybe I'm just getting OLD (I am 31).

I ride a Cagiva Raptor everyday so I get my fix of speed without having to get in a car (No car on the road can beat it off the mark :thebirds: )

Old 23-04-2007, 10:24 PM   #21
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton
$2200 for insurance, that heaps!!!

Is it all about who has the fastest car off the mark????

The XR8 may beat the Fairmont but the Mont will get you to the same destination in alot more comfort and style _2:

Maybe I'm just getting OLD (I am 31).

I ride a Cagiva Raptor everyday so I get my fix of speed without having to get in a car (No car on the road can beat it off the mark :thebirds: )
At legal speeds, both the Fairmont and the XR8 will get you to the same destination within about 2 seconds of each other (The XR8 will accelerate to 100 about 2 seconds faster, after that, the speed is the same, ie 100, and 110 on divided roads).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2007, 07:44 PM   #22
drracing108
au1xlsv8

dude go jus car insurance, im 17 with a v8 ute and it only cost me $1700
Old 24-04-2007, 07:49 PM   #23
5L
[ 5L ]

go for a drive in both, then decide. for me i prefer the styling of the xr, especially the headlights. if you get one with leather and premo sound your not that far off the fairmonts in luxury spec. i can live without the climate control and trip computer. but i wish the xr had traction control
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2007, 10:46 PM   #24
fordAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXR8220
go for a drive in both, then decide. for me i prefer the styling of the xr, especially the headlights. if you get one with leather and premo sound your not that far off the fairmonts in luxury spec. i can live without the climate control and trip computer. but i wish the xr had traction control
Exactly, there is a huge difference performance wise between a 220 XR8 and a Fairmont, no comparison.

To the prospective buyer, the XR8 is a drivers car, the Fairmont is a Granny's car
fordAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2007, 10:58 PM   #25
Norton
Tuned by HPF

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordAU
Exactly, there is a huge difference performance wise between a 220 XR8 and a Fairmont, no comparison.

To the prospective buyer, the XR8 is a drivers car, the Fairmont is a Granny's car
Hey it can be a Grandpa's car also!!

Wait until you see mine go with the Supercharger, It's sure to blow your walking frame away!!!

Old 24-04-2007, 11:02 PM   #26
fordAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton
Hey it can be a Grandpa's car also!!

Wait until you see mine go with the Supercharger, It's sure to blow your walking frame away!!!
Sheesh, now you tell us that Gran's Fairmont has a blower on it :
fordAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2007, 11:02 PM   #27
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordAU

Fairmonts and Fairlanes get less unwanted attention for this reason
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2007, 11:08 PM   #28
Norton
Tuned by HPF

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau
Fairmonts and Fairlanes get less unwanted attention for this reason
It's going to be a big advantage when the Supercharger goes on, I have never been pulled over in my Mont and I don't expect to.

It will also be a hoot to pull up next to XR8's, SS bombadores etc. and have them think "Look at this Granny's car" Only to realise they don't have a hope of keeping up with me :

Old 25-04-2007, 11:15 AM   #29
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

Just buy a manual XR8. You will quickly forget about luxury or what the interior is like.
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post