Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-05-2005, 12:03 AM   #1
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default insurance and bodykits..

Hey guys,
Just wondering if a bodykit will affect insurance? I'm getting the series 2 tickford kit off AWC for the AU and was just wondering if the price goes up or what..

Thanks,
Glenn
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2005, 12:07 AM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

depends on your company and whether you want to increase the amount the car is covered for to cover the cost of the kit.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:09 AM   #3
Sylox
Uterus M.I.A.

I'm with NRMA and they didnt care the kit its self is insured for $3000
Ute for 33k

Nrma usually dont care as long as your wheels are no wider than 8inch, and no cam or forced induction changes. Oh and mods arent ment to excede 1/3 of the value of the car

Sylox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2005, 12:09 AM   #4
XplodE
Smashed Gecko Racing

Most probably will...

I remember when me old girl put a kit on her VT a few years back she went into RACV to tell them it was on the car.

After telling them about the kit the bloke said the price will go up because its a performance enhancement, I nearly fell over and was in fits of laughter.

I still to this day do not no how a body kit could be a performance enhancement....
XplodE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2005, 12:17 AM   #5
gtfpv
GT

MATE THIS IS A VERY GOOD QUESTION WHEN I BOUGHT MY EL XR8 IN 97 I HAD A PERFECT RECORD . 28yrs old at the time the nrma had no problem but numerous other insurance companies refused insurance just because of the body kit . my car was brand new with factory alarm factory fitted body kit and stock standard the theory of the day , which still exists today is that it increases the risk of theft. enquire before you fit.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2005, 12:22 AM   #6
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
MATE THIS IS A VERY GOOD QUESTION WHEN I BOUGHT MY EL XR8 IN 97 I HAD A PERFECT RECORD . 28yrs old at the time the nrma had no problem but numerous other insurance companies refused insurance just because of the body kit . my car was brand new with factory alarm factory fitted body kit and stock standard the theory of the day , which still exists today is that it increases the risk of theft. enquire before you fit.
Does an AUII have an immobiliser or something? Can they actually be stolen without the key?

Thanks for the replies guys.
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2005, 12:23 AM   #7
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LOL performance enhancment : Yeah maybe on a race car but a street car.

I would say the price would go up if you want to add it to the insured accessories but other than that i doubt it would rise. Have heard of bodykits being flogges before so it might be a good idea to insure it.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2005, 12:42 AM   #8
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennXRT
Does an AUII have an immobiliser or something? Can they actually be stolen without the key?

Thanks for the replies guys.
i dont get your point the el 1 has an engine imobilisor too .it cant be stolen without a key
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2005, 01:06 AM   #9
xrgran

As gtfpv mentioned, you should definately get some information and costs before you go ahead. This is more an insurance company issue rather than an age question.
The NRMA does seem to worry more about wheel width than other items. AAMI would not touch us with my Fairmont and that came with all the Tickford enhancements from the factory! Sport suspension, full body kit...all the works.
So just delve a little deeper first before you spend the big bucks.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2005, 11:45 AM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrgran
The NRMA does seem to worry more about wheel width than other items
Tell me about it - there's a nice long thread in the Focus forums if you wanna read about their stupid policies.
As a guide - EA to EL they allow max 7 inches wide, AU-BA they allow 8 inches wide (thats what ive been told by them anyway). However if you have wider wheels which are factory fitted (and no, dealer fit accessory apparently doesnt count, i found this out the hard way), they are sometimes ok.

Re the AUII Immobiliser, they do have one as standard fare security (its part of Smartshield), and to steal one without a key is possible, you'd just need a tow truck to do it.

I would suggest calling your insurer, telling them the kit you're putting on, if they ask tell them it is genuine Ford (will save you money and who's really going to know the difference anyway?), and see what they say. I think provided you dont want to raise the amount your car is covered for, you should be able to get it listed as part of your modifications (which should all be listed somewhere on your policy documentation) with no change in premium cost.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:06 PM   #11
LTDHO
The one and only

Any car can be stolen. Normally within 6 months of a security system being out it can be bypassed. This happened with Smartlock. I would not be surprised if this also was the case with smart shield. AU's have been stolen!

Re: Body kit. I can clear up the reason why they are a performance modification, then you may understand.
It is not the case of the kit providing more power to the vehicle, like sprts suspesion it alters the mentality of the driver. Half the body kits are fitted because the owner feels the car will handle better, especially at high speeds. Those of us who are informed know they do nothing but change the look. It those few who drive harder make the 'risk' for insurance higher.
Also the effect the value of the vehicle. not just for resale but in the eyes of thieves. Again increasing risk.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2005, 02:17 PM   #12
EFFalcon
Last warning

my bodykit makes it perform like a BA XR.
my insurance co don't care...
Just Car
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2005, 09:55 AM   #13
TIKFD6
Number 5 is alive!

RACV dont really care about my kit, brakes, exaust there only speculation was that the wheels couldnt be bigger than 17x8.

"Experimental Racer" #6
1994 Gunmetal XG XR6 1997-1999
[B][COLOR=Red] 1994 Le Mans Red ED
2008 MA XR5 Mondeo

2015 VOLVO V60 T6 R-DESIGN-POLESTAR Enhanced

TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2005, 10:50 AM   #14
Jamie XR6
3FB Detailing Tragic

To most insurance companys it does make a difference and can effect your insurance if you don't tell them about it.

They don't view bodykits as performance enhancing but see them as making the car more attractive to car thieves.

The best advice is to talk to your insurance company. More often than not they will be cool about it as long as you tell them. If you are honest with them, very rarely is a problem if you have to make a claim.

I'm with CGU and they generally good, you just have to tell them about any changes to the car.
03 BA XR6T, Black, T5, Unichip tuned by Autotech Engineering (235.5 rwkW), BPT short shifter, Custom Leather, 18" rims, PBR sports calipers, Lowered, Tint, duel CAI & BMC filter, AWC bits, custom stripes.

My Website

Last edited by Jamie XR6; 07-05-2005 at 10:51 AM.
Jamie XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post