Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-01-2007, 01:41 AM   #1
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

Default Replacing Premium sound CD changer - aftermarket options?

The premium sound in dash stacker has packed up in my AU3, which isn't a bad thing as it was going to be replaced eventually by an MP3 player. Just wondering if you have to go double DIN or do some places make a surround for the dash so you can go the more traditional single DIN style? I know this option is available on the VY commo's as a mate has had it done.

Anyone got pictures of what they replaced their in dash stackers with?

Thanks

BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2007, 02:52 AM   #2
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Single DIN Eclipse MP3 with an MDF surround I shaped, finished and painted at home.

I've had a few guys aks me for these and will make up a batch with a jig over the next couple of months- this one isn't very good but I know how I'd do a better one......
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2007, 05:31 AM   #3
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimt3te50

Single DIN Eclipse MP3 with an MDF surround I shaped, finished and painted at home.

I've had a few guys aks me for these and will make up a batch with a jig over the next couple of months- this one isn't very good but I know how I'd do a better one......
You can put me down for one please Jim.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:23 AM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA GT-HO
The premium sound in dash stacker has packed up in my AU3, which isn't a bad thing as it was going to be replaced eventually by an MP3 player. Just wondering if you have to go double DIN or do some places make a surround for the dash so you can go the more traditional single DIN style? I know this option is available on the VY commo's as a mate has had it done.

Anyone got pictures of what they replaced their in dash stackers with?

Thanks
3 options:

- Replacement Ford unit, straight fit
- Aftermarket single DIN unit with a fascia kit from Aerpro or DNA Audio
- Replacement Double DIN unit

Both Aerpro and DNA Audio make replacement fascia kit so you can use a single DIN stereo. Aerpro also make wiring looms so you can put the unit in yourself without having to cut any wires etc.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:55 PM   #5
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

Cheers for the info guys, looks like problem solved!

Jim - that looks a lot more neat and tidy than the usual Ford deck, well done.
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2007, 04:25 PM   #6
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Looks quite nice indeed!

Jim, why did you choose to close the area off though, and not use it for storage? You obviously have the skills (and tools) needed to do it.

Just a look you were after?

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2007, 06:36 PM   #7
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
3 options:

Both Aerpro and DNA Audio make replacement fascia kit so you can use a single DIN stereo. Aerpro also make wiring looms so you can put the unit in yourself without having to cut any wires etc.
I was under the impression that the wiring kits made were only for AU series 1.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 08:53 PM   #8
paddle

Sorry guys a little off topic but i would like to know how the speakers where done in the door they look AWESOME!,as mine are in where the stocks come out but I have put in 6'
paddle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2007, 01:13 AM   #9
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA GT-HO
Cheers for the info guys, looks like problem solved!

Jim - that looks a lot more neat and tidy than the usual Ford deck, well done.
What did you end up doing mate?

And thanks for the thumbs up, the next incarnation will be a nicer fit and finish- it just photographed well I think........

GK- Storage for me wasn't an issue and I do prefer the look of it flushed off, never been a fan of storage under the radio, don't really know why- probably because the AU dash could use all the help it can get in the cosmetic department LOL

I'm going to use this centre section as a sacrificial one for another project I have in mind- namely using the A/C control housings for gauges and graft the section to beneath the radio- I have it worked out in my head, just have to implement it- never been a fan of gauges but with probably close to $20k invested in the original T3 engine (on top of that!) I don't think it'd be a bad idea to keep an eye on AFR's, oil pressure and cylinder head temperature etc..... Not in it for the cosmetics, too ****y for me, but if it's neat, tasteful and purposeful I'm all for it.

Keep you posted anyway........
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post