Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-11-2006, 09:05 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up My Holiday in America

Hi guys, after 3 weeks away, I'm back !!!
Missus and I had 3 weeks in America/Canada. What an experience.!!!
Province of Ontario,Canada, no speed cameras. They have a Fast Lane on major motorways. ie you travel at the speed of the car in front of you. I was doing 140km/hr in a Chevvy Montana. Petrol 85cl after aus conversion. Drivers are mad !! just indicate and change lanes, fast !!!.
In America, drove a PT Cruiser, nice car, but gutless !!! needs a V6.
Petrol, 65cl after aus conversion.
Went to the Harley Davidson plant in Pensylvania. That plant is amazing !! a bike rolls of the assembly line every 2 hours. The one assembly line builds bikes for the world, military etc. Workers follow the work order. The top yoke is pressed out of a round steel rod, heated to red hot and pressed with 300 tons of pressure to the flat shape. Watching the robots make parts is amazing.
Request : FORD BRING IN THE LINCOLN !!! IT JUST MIGHT SAVE THE FAIRLANE/LTD. Very impressed with it.
Car prices made me me cry into my JD's. Base Lincoln $29k!!!!!! Top model $40k !!! Buick Lucerne (VE) $20K for Omega, $25K for Berlina !!!
Interest rates from 0% to 5.95% 300C NO deposit, 5.95%..$422 a month !!!
Even allowing the exchange rate, those cars are still cheaper than what we can buy them for here...
If you ever get the chance to go to America..do it !!!

csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2006, 09:49 AM   #2
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They actually exported cars made in Australia to America and sell them much cheaper than here. Eg: FOrd Capri and Holden Monaro. I would love to go to the States one day. Do the drive from SF to LA, visit New York and Washington (esp. the Smithsonian air and space museum) . Go to the Boeing factory in seattle, visit Graceland, lol. Las vegas,. The Crand Canyon..... The list is endless. (I think I have been watching too many travel shows)
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2006, 06:43 PM   #3
rodderz

Yes I would love to go there one day

What is it like on th hip pocket after conversion and what you pay for things over there?
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2006, 08:08 PM   #4
Kobayashi

Some things are cheaper, some are more expensive when it comes to conversion. Eating out can KILL you i found, lol. Groceries are pretty good tho. Hell, on special at walmart, when i was there, we were getting a 24 pack of coke cans for 4.98 u.s

I remember my first trip over there, the dollar was only at .48, so when it went over 70c, i was REALLY happy, lol. Except of course when sending money back from my job, it wasnt worth as much!
Kobayashi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2006, 08:11 PM   #5
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

I went to america 3 weeks ago. If i see one more hummer ill kick it.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:12 PM   #6
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobayashi
Some things are cheaper, some are more expensive when it comes to conversion. Eating out can KILL you i found, lol. !
Especially at certain McDonalds, lol. A word of advice: don't buy anything that comes in a bucket!
Old 10-11-2006, 08:14 PM   #7
Kobayashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
Especially at certain McDonalds, lol. A word of advice: don't buy anything that comes in a bucket!

Or taco bell at 4am :p
Old 10-11-2006, 08:30 PM   #8
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

wow petrol under 90 cents a litre! wowee! now let me tell you about how much it costs to insure & register a car in canada buddy, lets see how much change you get out of 3k for a second hand dodge neon... ill count the nickles, you count the quarters.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2006, 08:47 PM   #9
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

I would love to go to the USA for a holiday. I only ever get to do work there..... One day.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:56 PM   #10
Kobayashi

I work there too when i go on holiday, of course, that involves driving cars around like new mustangs, vettes and everything else with 4 wheels over there, so i dont see it as work :p When i go back in 4 weeks, going to see if i can get video of me testdriving a new z06 ;) ALthough the auction usually takes a dim view of cameras, let alone video cameras, but being an aussie definately gets you somewhere ;)
Old 11-11-2006, 01:57 AM   #11
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Buick Lucerne is not a VE, its FWD for starters.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2006, 07:17 AM   #12
pauly85
commodore bogan

when i went over there about 3 months ago i drove from hollywood to las vegas in a brand new pontiac grand prix, ugly as sin but a very comfy nice car to drive and a great stereo from stock,

also got to drive from hollywood to san diego in a buick lacrose, wat a bucket of puss, couldnt wait to get out of it, good stereo tho and it had a sun roof!
pauly85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2006, 11:12 AM   #13
George1861

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobayashi
I work there too when i go on holiday, of course, that involves driving cars around like new mustangs, vettes and everything else with 4 wheels over there, so i dont see it as work :p When i go back in 4 weeks, going to see if i can get video of me testdriving a new z06 ;) ALtho
Besides the new Shelby, don't forget the Viper!
Old 11-11-2006, 11:23 AM   #14
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like you had a awesome time mate.

I would love to visit the ole U S of A one day.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2006, 04:48 PM   #15
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
Sounds like you had a awesome time mate.

I would love to visit the ole U S of A one day.
The missus and I had a real good time. Cann't wait until we can afford it again.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:52 PM   #16
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Buick Lucerne is not a VE, its FWD for starters.
XR6 MARTIN. The Buick Lucerne and VE are built on the same global platform of GM. Thats why the Monaro was killed off and no VE station wagons for 12 months, until the platform architecture is modified for wagons. Wagons aren't in GM's global plan. Plus the V6 in the VE was originally from Buick and Holden changed it too rear wheel drive. The Lucerne is comparable to the VE apart from FWD.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:38 PM   #17
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

so how much you generally saved (inc your tickets to go to the us of a) ? if you don't mind me ask'n
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2006, 05:54 PM   #18
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
XR6 MARTIN. The Buick Lucerne and VE are built on the same global platform of GM. Thats why the Monaro was killed off and no VE station wagons for 12 months, until the platform architecture is modified for wagons. Wagons aren't in GM's global plan. Plus the V6 in the VE was originally from Buick and Holden changed it too rear wheel drive. The Lucerne is comparable to the VE apart from FWD.
Incorrect, originally the Lucerne was going to be on the Zeta platform, but was changed to the G-body platform.
Also the Lucerne uses the old 3.8L V6, not the Alloytech.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_G_platform_%28FWD%29

Quote:
With the demise of the Bonneville, Park Avenue, and LeSabre after 2005, the only remaining G-body car will be the Buick Lucerne. This vehicle again shares a platform which is similar to the K-body. The K-body cars were replaced by a single ongoing model, the Cadillac DTS.
Also the Commodore is the only car using the Zeta platform at the moment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Zeta_platform
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 09:03 AM   #19
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
so how much you generally saved (inc your tickets to go to the us of a) ? if you don't mind me ask'n
We flew QANTAS booked the tickets when they had a special deal last august. QANTAS flies direct to New York from Brisbane, changed planes in LA.
Stayed with Best Western Chain, as they have free continental breakfast and shuttles to airports, subways and shopping centres,Average $150aus a night.
Meals are big, coffee cheap. Thrifty car rental was the cheapest. We came home $2500 under budget. Which suprised us. So, all up around $12k for 3 weeks. Next time will go in spring not start of winter !!!
Old 13-11-2006, 10:13 AM   #20
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I prefer to travel in the northern summer, even if it costs more, its much better for the optic nerve.