Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-10-2006, 04:58 PM   #1
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Default The new JMM-3000 series Performance Stall Converter

Anyone got one on a street/city car with this or a similar type stally??
I read that it is normal driving under light throttle? Can someone fill me in on stall converters, cause I dont really understand the workings of them
Thanks in advance...

poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 05:00 PM   #2
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

had one.. got rid of it.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 05:03 PM   #3
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Why arnt they any good?
Old 16-10-2006, 05:16 PM   #4
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1XR2C
Why arnt they any good?
My reasons are here: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...&postcount=112

Its not that its no good.. it just didnt suit me.

Old 16-10-2006, 05:49 PM   #5
stiddy
Banned

It would be an expensive door stop You can get cheaper items from your local market to use instead like something not from JMM
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 05:50 PM   #6
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

A hi stall is different to drive on the street they feel slightly loose and will drive the auto trans fluid temp up big time so they need a big extra trans cooler to tke the heat away.

With converter lock up they are the same as the trans in normal driving above the lock up speed but below loose.

They are much more aggresive on launch though which will give instant smiles from traction difficulties that causes. I have driven useless car and the launch is great first gear is all a big rev and then its changing up at 75k before you know it. In mine it jsut takes off and slowly pulls to 40k then goes like hell to 75k. I lose a full two car lengths on usless in street drags without stall up on the track its that different.

I have been tossing up getting one for ages. They are a compromise though. Ideally you would put in lower first gear like the commodores 3.07 instead of the 2.39 in the BTR. They do put more stress on your tans so if its over 100,000km never been serviced or the fluid looks black now don't do it.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 06:42 PM   #7
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^as said above, you could put in a shorter gear, but where's the fun in that? what's wrong with doing a qtr mile run and only changing gear once or twice instead of 3 times like a commodore? besides, there's not too many cars from the factory that can do the speed these things can in first, especially for a family or 'taxi' based car
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 08:01 PM   #8
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

Nothing wrong with the JMM one mate as they dont make it anyways, they are made through a place called Pro Convertors and they are very good at making a convertor, they can make any stall speed you want and can make it as strong as you want, and are about $150 cheaper then mock. Anyways back on topic i have one fitted in my xr8 that i got from pro convertors and have had no problems with it, chris from blue power tuned it and drove it and said the convertor is working just as it should so i can only guess its doing its job as it was designed. If you want a lightning fast, sideways, or snappy take off then get one you will love it over the stock convertor they just dont compare.
Even from cruizing speeds the pick-up is more snappier it just basically free revs past all the crap down low and then brings it into the motors torque curve. Just like dropping a clutch (almost the same)

Shaun.

I will also enter any part of the Forum I wish to enter. :
NeishaXR8_347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 08:34 PM   #9
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neishaxr8
Just like dropping a clutch (almost the same)

Shaun.
Does it do this everytime you drive off?
Old 16-10-2006, 08:40 PM   #10
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

As in does it free rev kinda? Well the way mine works is if you take off normal and i didnt tell you i had a stall you prob wouldnt even pick it unless you have driven one with a stall fitted. But when you lay into the pedal it just wakes up ready for either sideways action if you have not so good tires or it will push you into the seat and just come on like a train.

Old 16-10-2006, 08:49 PM   #11
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

basically what it comes down to is how you drive the car, if you want really fast take offs, whether stalling it up or not, generally get a stall convertor, this way, unlike with changing a diff, the speedo won't change and the revs at cruising speeds will also stay the same...whereas with changing diff gears, it changes the above mentioned
Old 16-10-2006, 08:51 PM   #12
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1XR2C
Does it do this everytime you drive off?
it depends on how much you plant your foot, light pedal application and it's similar to a stock convertor, sink the boot in, and it really comes to life
Old 16-10-2006, 09:04 PM   #13
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

They are fun tho, ive had some hairy scary moments with it but thats not driving normal, but as has been said you really do need a big trans cooler if you fit a stall.

Old 16-10-2006, 09:17 PM   #14
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

I was thinking if I do install a stall, Id look into running two trans coolers if possible.

My plan is a custom flash tune and transmission service/mod.

Was going the cam route but I cant be bothered chasing numbers and stuff in a na car. Ill just wait till Im off my p's and get my airbagged twin turbo gtp on 20s. :
Old 17-10-2006, 10:30 AM   #15
AUTickford
XD197

Your torque convertor stall speed needs to be slightly above the lower rpm range of your camshaft. Dont just go and buy a three grand stall coz its too big for a daily driver unless of course you have the cam and gears to match. Also the torque produced by the motor will affect the stall speed of a convertor so the same convertor will behave differently in a different motor. Horses for courses as they say.Anything bigger than 2500 is too big for the street and if you dont believe me try it :sm_headba
AUTickford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 09:24 PM   #16
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTickford
Anything bigger than 2500 is too big for the street and if you dont believe me try it :sm_headba
I love these sorts of generalisations. A stally much bigger than 2500rpm is definitely on the cards for my daily driver ute.

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 09:27 PM   #17
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Anything bigger than 2500 is too big for the street and if you dont believe me try it :sm_headba
wow, remind me not to drive my car into the city and out again in peak hour like I do most days.. my 3500+rpm stall is WAY to big :

Sorry mate, huge generalisation and not true. Couldnt help myself.
Seriously, I had the 3000rom stall and hardly noticed it for daily driving. Even the one I have now is certainly quite bareable.. but does need a few more rpm. I love scaring BMW drivers with it too :

Old 17-10-2006, 09:41 PM   #18
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
Your torque convertor stall speed needs to be slightly above the lower rpm range of your camshaft. Dont just go and buy a three grand stall coz its too big for a daily driver unless of course you have the cam and gears to match. Also the torque produced by the motor will affect the stall speed of a convertor so the same convertor will behave differently in a different motor. Horses for courses as they say.Anything bigger than 2500 is too big for the street and if you dont believe me try it :sm_headba
Some good general advice and mostly true but the 2500rpm stall limit for a street car is not a very well informed comment as a few others have picked up.

In AU autos BTR93 stock stall limits are 2000-2200rpm & BTR97 2200-2400rpm. Most auto sixes BTR93LE will stall at 2000rpm or thereabouts.
Old 18-10-2006, 08:16 AM   #19
Chris
AFF.com.au

we ran 14.22 in an AU XR6HP NA stock cam with the JMM3000.

Highly recommended if you want a good all over package.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2006, 10:34 AM   #20
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
we ran 14.22 in an AU XR6HP NA stock cam with the JMM3000.

Highly recommended if you want a good all over package.
OK you have convinced me. At long last I will bite the bullet and do the hi stall.

Hi Stall and trans cooler on order now!

I will post up how it all goes for me.
Old 21-10-2006, 12:09 PM   #21
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
OK you have convinced me. At long last I will bite the bullet and do the hi stall.

Hi Stall and trans cooler on order now!

I will post up how it all goes for me.
good decision

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2006, 08:33 PM   #22
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up

well done johnbays, you will not regret!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2006, 08:33 PM   #23
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up

In saying that, on occasion I find the high stall a little annoying. My driveway is a little steep, and light application of the throttle ( as I did with standard convertor) results in no foward movement whatsoever. With a little more accelaration I end up with two black tyre marks on my beloved pavers! Well that's the price I pay for great launches!

Last edited by duaned; 21-10-2006 at 09:07 PM.
Old 21-10-2006, 08:35 PM   #24
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Damn triple post!
Old 21-10-2006, 08:37 PM   #25
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

times 3 lol
Old 22-10-2006, 08:56 AM   #26
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddarby
In saying that, on occasion I find the high stall a little annoying. My driveway is a little steep, and light application of the throttle ( as I did with standard convertor) results in no foward movement whatsoever. With a little more accelaration I end up with two black tyre marks on my beloved pavers! Well that's the price I pay for great launches!
I too have a steep driveway which could get a workout which would not impress the missus who loves "her" but the fairmont has traction control so it will be interesting to see how TC beahves with a hi stall.

Should all still work fine but will be interesting to see.
Old 28-10-2006, 10:10 PM   #27
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

OK I bit the bullet and got TCI to build me a high stall converter approx 500rpm higher stall for $350, got a swann trans cooler $160 and get it all fitted for $200.

After a few day now normal driving is 100% fine. Lock up still works. idle creep is less but ok, normal driving slightly more throttle and revs are used on light cruise but nothing bad. The tach sits more around 2500rpm than 2000rpm now.

The std converter stalled up at 2000rpm on the brake. The high stall goes to 2500rpm and then I lose traction and it just does a standstill burnout. The hi stall will flash up to 3000rpm on a flat chat take off without stalling it up.

stock converter the take off was always leisurely 0-40kmh always felt slow and the difference between full trottle and half throttle to this speed was almost nothing.

Now the take off is dramaticly different i would say my 2.35 60' will be 2.10's now honestly. It feels so much better you wonder why ford nobbled the falcon with a huge first gear and low stall.

I am finding very few cars even try me off the lights now as its so clear in the first 10 feet they are being left behind.

JUST DO It
Old 28-10-2006, 11:19 PM   #28
1TUFFUTE
Banned

I agree to. Whole heartdly. It is the best mod ive done by far. I tow a 1ton trailer to work quite regularily with the JMM 3000 stall convertor. I drive my wifes Fairmont Ghia (tickford) and i cant wait to get back in for the throttle response it fools u into thinking u have.Actually its not that, its the fact u get in the peak power zone instantly. OH YEAH. U may pay a little more than the ussual but you would be stupid to think Brendan hasnt added his own touches to the build process.

I think everyone agrees...just GET one :eclipsee_

Last edited by 1TUFFUTE; 28-10-2006 at 11:21 PM. Reason: spelling
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2006, 12:22 PM   #29
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

More road test results Updated again with the Hi Stall

At last I have got round to running my gtech tests again on the car with the new hi stall converter.

Results are great even better than expected.

0-60mph in seconds best three of a number of runs same private test track with an old GTECH.

Test 1 Pacemaker extractors 2.5" Exhaust, Dev3HL cam & Stock ecu. Engine dyno power 138-142-136RwKw on various dyno's qtr mile average of top 5 runs 15.68@89.18 best ET 15.609 best TS 90.50

Test 2 Pacemaker extractors 2.5" Exhaust, Dev3HL cam & Unichip dyno power 144-139RwKw on various dyno's qtr mile average of top 5 runs 15.52@90.10 best ET 15.46 best TS 91.84

Test 3 Pacemaker extractors 2.5" Exhaust, New Head & Crow 2232549 Cam Pacakge & Unichip. Dyno Power 129rwkw? yes thats what it ran same dyno?

Test 4 Pacemaker extractors 2.5" Exhaust, New Head & Dev5 Cam(set at ).50" ATDC thats Advanced!) & Unichip (not retuned though).

Test 5 Pacemaker extractors 2.5" Exhaust, New Head & Dev5 Cam (set at ).35" ATDC) & Unichip now retuned and hi stall converter fitted.

Test 1 Test 2 Test 3 Test 4 Test 5
7.62 7.29 7.22 7.20 6.89

7.53 7.10 7.12 7.21 6.72

7.37 6.98 7.05 7.12 6.78

Average
7.50 7.12 7.13 7.18 6.80

So the Hi Stall gave a good real world 0.4 seconds or 5% reduction in 0-60mph its amazing! Stall changed from 2000 to 2500rpm but what a difference.
Old 21-11-2006, 12:37 PM   #30
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I should have out in a 2500 stallie ... I realy didn't want to though as I float horses ... and I doubt they'd like it if stalled up too much on me on take-off.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post