Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 18-06-2006, 05:28 PM   #1
SVG
Starter Motor

Default Anyone been a victim of the IR laws?

A friend of mine was sacked recently with no reason given and had not been there long enough to get a reasonable pay out. Unfair dismissal laws don't cover it either. What a crock of sh|t!
The worst part is that true fair dinkum Aussies are getting sacked from their current jobs and replaced with cheap, uneducated overseas workers. These same overseas workers are making it difficult for genuine Australians to apply for jobs.
Thats my rant for the day...

Old 18-06-2006, 05:35 PM   #2
Ultimate
Pimp Daddy Pimp Pimp

Location: Queensland Events Assistant Co-Ordinator. Fiery's Little Helper

Yes those laws only effect companies under 20 people but dont they. Or its 100 or some number.
---------------------------------------------------
AFF Merchandise

Excellent Purchases With: AFF Team, Rooster, Russ
Old 18-06-2006, 05:37 PM   #3
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I have been a subcontractor since finishing my apprenticeship (19 years ago), i can be sacked with no payout or reason at any time, the bottom line is, a good worker that gets along with others will never be sacked, all the I.R laws do in this case is help an employer lose excess baggage without penalizing them for it.
Old 18-06-2006, 05:37 PM   #4
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Quote:
These same overseas workers are making it difficult for genuine Australians to apply for jobs.
But if no-one wants to study a trade (Apprenticships/Traineeships), who else will do the work? People are shipping in workers from Indonesia and the like to do jobs they cannot find experienced Aussie People for... after months of advertising...
Everyone is heading off to Uni instead (I have nothing against that)
But people need to remember there is plenty of money in the trade sector too. :
Old 18-06-2006, 05:48 PM   #5
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Publishing is a cut throat business
Old 18-06-2006, 05:55 PM   #6
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
I have been a subcontractor since finishing my apprenticeship (19 years ago), i can be sacked with no payout or reason at any time, the bottom line is, a good worker that gets along with others will never be sacked, all the I.R laws do in this case is help an employer lose excess baggage without penalizing them for it.
Thats not always the Case. I've been fired twice from companies after doing excellent work, both due to the company being mismanaged. Both companies eventually went bankrupt.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Old 18-06-2006, 06:18 PM   #7
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
Thats not always the Case. I've been fired twice from companies after doing excellent work, both due to the company being mismanaged. Both companies eventually went bankrupt.
Bingo. It is a myth that good workers will never be sacked. With all the jobs that are going overseas at the moment, means that no-one is imune. It is happening in the company that I work for at the moment. Many excellent application programmers, system analysts, system administrators, system engineers, one guy has 32 years with the company. All have been told that their jobs are being relocated to Bangalore(SP?). This puely economics over humanity. The guy with 32 years has been told he will get 6 months pay because of his longevity in the company!!! The rest get squat. Now can someone please tell me how this is good for Australia??? many of our customers are walking with their cheque books.... Good.

Mods, I promise not to get into any slinging matches here, promise!!
Old 18-06-2006, 06:27 PM   #8
Ultimate
Pimp Daddy Pimp Pimp

Location: Queensland Events Assistant Co-Ordinator. Fiery's Little Helper

Aussie worked >$14 a hour. Imports <$3 a hour.

For example not saying where its at but there is a contractor bring in timber cutters, working them for somewhere to stay and food. There chinese. They cut about 600 bucks work of timber a day. He has 5 of them. It costs him what 10bucks a day in food and a caravan in the scrub.

Jeff
---------------------------------------------------
AFF Merchandise

Excellent Purchases With: AFF Team, Rooster, Russ
Old 18-06-2006, 06:29 PM   #9
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Got told that work was slowing down and someone had to be layed off, since i was the last to join the company i was it.
On a more personal note, I asked for a Hepatitis shot due to the work we were asked to carry out , welding polypipe into a landfill area where they suck methane from and use it to pump power back into the Grid. My work collegue moved afew bags when 3 syringes fell out hmmmmm ohhhh dear.
My employer at the time says that his employees have been working there for 6 mths without a problem. My question did raise afew hands at work, this was the real reason i was layed off, he also mentioned he had no probs with my work and if i could finish the day off as i had a bit of work to complete.ppppfffttt thanx for the opportunity mate but im gone.
Back into working construction again 120K p/a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
Old 18-06-2006, 06:42 PM   #10
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate
Aussie worked >$14 a hour. Imports <$3 a hour.

For example not saying where its at but there is a contractor bring in timber cutters, working them for somewhere to stay and food. There chinese. They cut about 600 bucks work of timber a day. He has 5 of them. It costs him what 10bucks a day in food and a caravan in the scrub.

Jeff
And this present government probably thinks that he is a hero.
Old 18-06-2006, 07:04 PM   #11
kempster1

Who is paying there tax and super?

I do not think he is a hero
Old 18-06-2006, 07:29 PM   #12
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Funny subject this, as i made this exact comment in regards to imported labour only a few weeks ago and got flamed for it.
As far as im concerned this is nothing new to this country and is only following a prescedent set 25 years ago.
Whilst the newly out of school, unskilled Aussie bloke was waiting in line at DSS the new immigrant was earning a living in the lucky country doing the Aussie blokes job.
This scenario was allowed to become common practice and has been gradually festering into what we have today.
The only difference now is that we have a Government that has cleared the path to lay off good Aussie workers and bring in Foreigners.
I'ts just a shame that it has gone this far before we have woken up to it, and for the next generation could prove to be financially crippling.
Now instead of welcoming our new neighbours, we look sideways at them with contempt at their success at our own expense.
Old 18-06-2006, 07:47 PM   #13
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate
Yes those laws only effect companies under 20 people but dont they. Or its 100 or some number.

yes tiz 100 employes
how ever thats 100 per state ( coz it afects me n i work for a company that aust wide and bout 2000 workers or more but only 70 at my depo ) may be even work place
Old 18-06-2006, 08:06 PM   #14
Scott

IMO, plenty of companies have been screwed by crappy staff for too long. I defy anyone on this forum to say they have never met people who take "liberties" from their employer be it in the form of sickies, laziness, stupidness, malliciousness or just plain theft or sabotage. At the same time we see an employer on ACA or TT every other day screwing their staff. One thing's guaranteed though, more staff screw bosses than bosses screwing staff through sheer weight of numbers.

It would be great if there was a rule that protected only good employers and good employee's, unfortunately, the worst of both have screwed us all.
Old 18-06-2006, 08:22 PM   #15
cedric
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
never a truer word spoken
Old 18-06-2006, 08:24 PM   #16
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMH8TR
IMO, plenty of companies have been screwed by crappy staff for too long. I defy anyone on this forum to say they have never met people who take "liberties" from their employer be it in the form of sickies, laziness, stupidness, malliciousness or just plain theft or sabotage. At the same time we see an employer on ACA or TT every other day screwing their staff. One thing's guaranteed though, more staff screw bosses than bosses screwing staff through sheer weight of numbers.

It would be great if there was a rule that protected only good employers and good employee's, unfortunately, the worst of both have screwed us all.
Crappy have employees have always been around, I agree. But these new laws are screwing good and bad equally. For every crappy employee there has been a crappy compamy. These crappy companies, usualy small business, now have a free hand to screw even harder. We will not see the true effects of these new laws until after the next election, and only then if, god forbid, the current lot get back in. Companies are holding back so as not to influence the voting public. If the incumbents get back, god help us all.
Old 18-06-2006, 08:27 PM   #17
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedric
never a truer word spoken
What crap. Read my earlier post. Why was this "crappy" worker of 32 years not fired years ago. There was a process in place that let the empoyer sack who they wanted, there were checks and balances..... Now there is nothing.
Old 18-06-2006, 08:31 PM   #18
kempster1

Outback are you a union rep ??
Old 18-06-2006, 08:32 PM   #19
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackjack
Mods, I promise not to get into any slinging matches here, promise!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by qoutbackjack
What crap. <snip>
This isn't off to a good start.
Old 18-06-2006, 08:34 PM   #20
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm going to spell something out. If people cannot discuss this properly then the whole subject will go the way of sexual/political/religious and other threads that people cannot post about ....
Old 18-06-2006, 08:36 PM   #21
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

I reckon IR will be added to that list shortly.
Leave a space for it just in case.
Old 18-06-2006, 08:47 PM   #22
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
There was a process in place that let the empoyer sack who they wanted, there were checks and balances.....
There was also a a process that gave every useless drip the chance to financially destroy his "small business" employer too. Terminating employee's has been a slippery slope for business for far too long.

Bad employee's deserve the rough end of the stick. I'm dead against the expansion of importing labour resources, we all know Aussie jobs need to stay here but at the same time, I believe business needs the flexibility and power to sack at will (note the boom in Sub-C & Temps pre new IR Laws). With our unemployment staying low at around 5%, I am confident in the Lib's approach and their commitment to keeping Aussies in jobs.

Whilst I no longer own businesses, I'll add that the IR laws only promise to help rather than hinder me.
Old 18-06-2006, 09:47 PM   #23
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempster1
Outback are you a union rep ??
No. I am from a working class family in Glenroy MLB. My father was a chippy (he passed away 2 years ago) and my mum worked in a factory making instruments for ford motor cars. I was brought up with the ethics of working hard for fair treatment and fair pay. I have always worked hard, but not always been treated fairly. Please let me apologise for using the crap word. I should have said "what bully woolies" and kept it light. But the kind of un founded statements like " a good worker that gets along with others will never be sacked " is a statement from la la land and should not be left un challenged.....

I tried to edit out the crap word and the context it was written, but by the time I got to work I couldn't do it......... sorry.

Last edited by Outbackjack; 18-06-2006 at 10:16 PM. Reason: spelling again
Old 18-06-2006, 10:12 PM   #24
kempster1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
No. I am from a working class family in Glenroy MLB. My father was a chippy (he passed away 2 years ago) and my mum worked in a factory making instruments for ford motor cars. I was brought up with the ethics of working hard for fair treatment and fair pay. I have always worked hard, but not always been treated fairly. Please let me apologise for using the crap word. I should have said "what bully woolies" and kept it light. But the kind of un founded statements like " a good worker that gets along with others will never be sacked " if a statement from la la land and should not be left un challenged.....

I tried to edit out the crap word and the context it was written, but by the time I got to work I couldn't do it......... sorry.
Outback I hope you did not think I was being disrepectful with my question about being a union rep.
With an issue like this you speak your mind very well and with passion.
As a 20 year member of two unions, you sound like a rep and if your not maybe you should be.
Old 18-06-2006, 10:20 PM   #25
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempster1
Outback I hope you did not think I was being disrepectful with my question about being a union rep.
With an issue like this you speak your mind very well and with passion.
As a 20 year member of two unions, you sound like a rep and if your not maybe you should be.
No problems, it gave me a chance to back away from something that I should not have typed. We need threads like this so people dont forget what is at stake here. I am trying really hard to be good this time.

Employees need employers, employers need employees.... I think John Howard has forgoten this.
Old 18-06-2006, 10:28 PM   #26
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I'm reading this correctly....Outbackjack..I think I know who you work for and if I'm right...be carefull in what you say they have eyes and ears everywhere. capiche!

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 18-06-2006, 10:40 PM   #27
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakai
I only read upto the $3 vs $14 bit... My question is: How can anyone do the same job for $3 when there are things like minimum wage and stuff? Or do they get around this by being contractors or something.

Somebody explain how immigrant workers can be able to take $3 an hour.

I believe this is the case...contract....but their board and keep is part of the deal....however I've been out of the loop for a few years now...so could be wrong.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 18-06-2006, 10:41 PM   #28
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard

And a lot more will follow!

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 18-06-2006, 10:44 PM   #29
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMH8TR
There was also a a process that gave every useless drip the chance to financially destroy his "small business" employer too. Terminating employee's has been a slippery slope for business for far too long.

Bad employee's deserve the rough end of the stick. I'm dead against the expansion of importing labour resources, we all know Aussie jobs need to stay here but at the same time, I believe business needs the flexibility and power to sack at will (note the boom in Sub-C & Temps pre new IR Laws). With our unemployment staying low at around 5%, I am confident in the Lib's approach and their commitment to keeping Aussies in jobs.

Whilst I no longer own businesses, I'll add that the IR laws only promise to help rather than hinder me.
I tend to agree with most of this. One bad employee in the past could take down a small buinsess quickly with lost productivity & expenses etc, putting at risk other employee jobs in the process. Doesn't sound fair to me.
Old 18-06-2006, 10:54 PM   #30
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's one of those situations. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. :

However, as an employee, not an employer, I'm not a fan of the laws at all. I won't profess to be an expert, but I've seen enough to know that I myself, for my situation, do not like them. But my employer is an Aussie company who values their staff as their best asset - this is how every work place should be. If this was the case, in a perfect world, the IR laws wouldn't change anything at all really except make it easier to get rid of dud staff.

However - money hungry companies, bad / dodgy management, and just plain pricks out there have shown just what damage these IR laws can do to hard working decent Australians. I don't blame employers for liking the new reforms, but I ask that they don't blame employee's for not liking them. Not all of us are lucky enough to be in secure stable work environments. I feel sorry for those hard workers who go un-noticed in massive companies and will probably feel at risk due to these new reforms.
Closed Thread