Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-04-2006, 07:56 PM   #1
tim2x

Default labour hire -

hey guys,

anybody used a Labour Hire group before? ( such as work force extensions ) and just wondering there experiences with it? Cheers guys.

tim2x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 08:04 PM   #2
rodderz

When I was still working for a boss we used them quite a bit for landscaping work, some blokes we got were useless but most ok. Most were those who were just put out of a job or those saving to go overseas

I think the workforce etensions will ring you when they have work in an area you specify you will work in, good thing is you can choose where and when you work but I guess you wouldnt know how much there is
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 08:07 PM   #3
347_XR8
Slide Baby Slide

I am part of one. It all depends on the actual person. Like me, i'm always on time etc etc HOWEVER you do get slack people that do the whole "it's to hard" thing. The thing to keep in mind with these comapanys they can only do so much before the person gets there.
Even some of the people i have worked with i feel like slapping across the head!

Mr Super Skid-Man
347_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2006, 11:04 AM   #4
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

I had been using labour hire for plant shutdowns, and to supplement my workforce up until about 18 months ago. But no more!

They are now ridiculously overpriced (try around $47 per hr + $23 per day travel allowance for a fitter). This, I believe has a heap to do with Unions, rather than the actual labour company.
Labour hire also seems to be the dumping ground for the absolute dregs of the trade. How some of these guys call themselves tradesmen, I have NO idea! I have had them turn-up with a toolbox consisting of a hammer (usually a BIG one) a 15" shifter,and maybe a screwdriver. Punctuality and general work ethics are not part of the package either!
Out of over a hundred different guys I've had over the years, I reckon 8-10 were up to scratch.
This does seem like a sign of the times though?.. There just isn't competent tradesmen around anymore.. The industries that once taught & nurtured apprentices are all long gone.
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2006, 01:34 PM   #5
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool
I had been using labour hire for plant shutdowns, and to supplement my workforce up until about 18 months ago. But no more!

They are now ridiculously overpriced (try around $47 per hr + $23 per day travel allowance for a fitter). This, I believe has a heap to do with Unions, rather than the actual labour company.
Labour hire also seems to be the dumping ground for the absolute dregs of the trade. How some of these guys call themselves tradesmen, I have NO idea! I have had them turn-up with a toolbox consisting of a hammer (usually a BIG one) a 15" shifter,and maybe a screwdriver. Punctuality and general work ethics are not part of the package either!
Out of over a hundred different guys I've had over the years, I reckon 8-10 were up to scratch.
This does seem like a sign of the times though?.. There just isn't competent tradesmen around anymore.. The industries that once taught & nurtured apprentices are all long gone.
I work in transport and our company, like many use labour hire to supplement the company's employees. Some turn out good and we end up employing them directly, as we have a 70/30 employee/labour hire ratio target. Others are just a waste of oxygen. We've had a few disappear during their shift of about 4 hours as it was too hard for them. "I just need to get something from the car " is a comment that raises suspicion, which is justified when they don't return after 15 mins. Others at least had the guts to approach the supervisor and say it's not for them and went home. The shortest took 45 mins to make that decision.

As for their pricing, the labour hire guys AFAIK are meant to be paid the same rate as the employees and the labour hire company charges their premium on top of that - which covers super/workcover and profit. The charges for the fitters - how much actually goes to the worker? In the end the good workers get snapped up and stay on at companies - the dropkicks keep getting booted out and recycled for another company to reject. We've found the company you use can have a marked effect on the customer service and quality of workers.

One large labour hire company we used - despite it being made clear to them the work was physical and that we were more interested in guys looking for 5 days a week work, would send us people who said themselves they were sent for the day and nothing was mentioned about ongoing work. Otherwise we got sent a guy who was 60 with back problems and was useless and left after 2 hours. The problem was, this company signed a national contract with our company and it took some time and numerous accounts of their incompetence before we were allowed to use another labour hire company.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2006, 03:41 PM   #6
rodderz

The guys we hired cost around $23/hr, that included their wage (prob $16/hr or so?), taxes, GST by the labour company and insurance they are covered by, plus the cut they take
Old 29-04-2006, 03:49 PM   #7
tim2x

Sounds like you've guys have had some bad experience's with some the people.

Is it really that hard work to do? Or are they just lazy?
tim2x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2006, 04:07 PM   #8
rodderz

Some of our landscaping work is pretty labour intensive, and to be honest at most times we hire people to do the more "crappier" jobs, other times to boost the numbers needed for a bigger job and may not be that hard.

Some have been very lazy, to which we tell not to come back and order someone else for the next day. But you can get lazy people in any kind of job, all depends how one applies themselves