Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 04-03-2005, 03:12 PM   #1
spope
Banned

Default Power window installation - what do I need?

Hello all.
I'm gonna try chucking power windows in my car this weekend, but I just need to make sure I have everything I need.

I have:
The switch panel
2x Electric Regulators

I will have:
Power window switch loom
2x door looms

What do i need in terms of rivets and/or bolts to hold the electric reg in place?
I looked on the other site and it was talking about some weird-*** rivets that hold the reg in place.
Can I use normal rivets, or bolts even?
I'm not concerned at all about the wiring, it's just more what's involved in mounting it.
spope is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2005, 03:19 PM   #2
EFFalcon
Last warning

i used bolts.
i'm pretty sure fordmods mentions the size of the bolts to use.
bolts make it easier later
also, some of the old rivers are a real pain to get out (i angle grinded mine out)
but yeah, thats about it :P
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2005, 03:22 PM   #3
EFFalcon
Last warning

hmm.. only mentions that they shouldn't be any longer then 20mm..

the "8 x Door Rivet Nuts (Available from Ford for $0.80 each)" they mention are for the EF/EL door trims. EA-ED door trims don't need these.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:09 PM   #4
spope
Banned

That's a good point - the workshop manual lists the replacement bolts for when you replace the actuators... presumably it will also tell me what bolts will fit. I'll look tonight.
spope is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2005, 06:17 PM   #5
nikkoli
BA Fairmont Ghia 04

Default power windows

Mate,I just put in power window regulator this week(replacing manual wind).It looks really hard judging by the manual,but its dead easy.Assuming that you know how to remove the window,ill cut straight to the regulator and metal chanel.As far as the rivets are concerned,1st,bang out the centre pins using a nail punch or somthing,then use a 10mm drill bit to drill the heads off the 3 rivets,then you'll be able to bang the rest of the rivet out towards the cavity of the door.There are four bolts holding the chanell to the inside of the door.I think they're 10mm....simply unscrew them.Then all you have to do is manouvre the whole mechanism through the hole down the bottom of the door closest to the dash.
Its really easy to put the new mechanism in place...as far as attatching the regulator,just use suitable bolts and nuts.
Heres where my experience may help....once I put it all in i tested it before putting the window back in...worked fine...but once I put the window in,the damn thing hardly moved!!After removing the whole assembly again and re-lubing the regulator,same thing happened.I went back to the wreckers I bought it from(got it brand new from Forham for $130.00) and insisted that he'd sold me a dud,so after a brief argument, he gave me another and I put the new one in in 20 minutes parked on the street outside(I'd become an expert by now)...and same thing happened.Anyway..after telling the guy that this new one worked better,I headed off to auto one and bought a bottle of graphite powder and sprayed half of it into the side window channels,those things lined with worn out felt...and like magic the window now glides gracefully in either direction.
good luck...
nikkoli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2005, 06:34 PM   #6
dldsrw

Besides doing it yourself,does anyone know where to get the power windows installed professionally? as i believe FORD dont do it to used cars.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2005, 06:22 PM   #7
dabizkit2001
upncomer

this post seems to have aged but im lookin into the exact same thing!! can anyone help. im a lazy bastard. i want to be able to drop my car off somewhere, pay a huge sum of money, and get someone else to do all the work getting parts and installing them.
dabizkit2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2005, 06:26 PM   #8
EFFalcon
Last warning

i'm sure u could pay one of the members on here ;)
many of us have installed power windows.
just depends how keen you are.
Old 24-07-2005, 09:25 PM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabizkit2001
this post seems to have aged but im lookin into the exact same thing!! can anyone help. im a lazy bastard. i want to be able to drop my car off somewhere, pay a huge sum of money, and get someone else to do all the work getting parts and installing them.
Depending on how "huge" that sum of money is, even i might have a go at it for you : .