Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-04-2006, 12:45 AM   #1
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Need gas installation in melbourne

Hi all,

just want to know were you guys who done a gas conversion (specifically an impco system) have done it, how much it cost and the quality of service? Petrol has got out of hand, and only working 12 hours a week, its making life hard at the moment.

I live in Doncaster so i want somwhere in the eastern suburbs if any one has done it.

My mate and I are going to get it done together at the same time, so do you reckoin we could save much by doing them together?

Thank you for your time.
Bill

EBII Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 01:23 AM   #2
Woz
As in 'best there ever'

AuzGas in Bayswater are good. They serviced the gas on my XB, and they'll be doing the same when the van is ready for a roadworthy. But they're in Bayswater. Not too far from Doncaster, but probably far enough to be a pain.

Good work though, at a good price. And Steve's a bloody good bloke to stop and have a chat with, too. Everyone's very polite and there's been a couple of times when I've made a phone call to pick someone's brain and everyone's real nice about it and willing to offer help over the phone. And, if you do need to find anything out over the phone, it's so good to see a company that employs a receptionist who actually knows what she's on about and how to offer assistance.

I've got about a dozen business cards floating around, but they all must be out in the garage. There should be a couple in my room, but I couldn't find them through all the crap, and it's far too cold to be running outside to the garage. But look them up in the phone book.

They're on Mountain Hwy in Bayswater, just near the Scoresby Rd intersection on the same side as Kennards. Kind of behind Kennards. Brown and gold signs.

Good luck, mate.

My XB Fairmont Sedan Project
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 11:11 AM   #3
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Woz. Your the second one to have suggested them. One of my mates had done his XE there and also was happy with their work. So at the moment it looks like i'll be heading there.
Old 25-04-2006, 05:43 PM   #4
Amber
Funbus Pilot.

Yup, we bought an impco system and had it installed at Auzgas too!!

Wouldn't go anywhere else
Amber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 07:45 PM   #5
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also what are the different tank sizes?

If I get a tank which is 60l or there bouts, will it the tank actually go all the way to the back seat, or because of where the petrol tank is located, it won't go all the way in?

Also my brothers xf was recently smashed. The gas tank it has, is close to ten years old. Would it be worth using that tank, and then getting all the mechanic bits as impco. The system my brother had running in his car never had a problem. In the 4 or 5 years he had it, it only backfired once if that helps.

Thanks for your help people.
Old 25-04-2006, 09:41 PM   #6
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Have a look over here.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=44672
Old 25-04-2006, 09:43 PM   #7
robjg33
broady grown

lakeside performance in reservoir ( i know its a bit away from you) have a good reputation and do real quality work
robjg33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 08:54 PM   #8
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi all,

My mate has called quite a few places, who will do the job for about $1,800 to $2,300. But some of the places have told him that his car (an ef fairmont) and my eb are not good for gas.

So those who drive and eb to ef which are on gas, could you please tell me if they have been or bad and any if there have been any problems which have been caused by the gas conversion.

But in all honest truth, I have never known fords to have had problems from the gas system. If there has been a problem it was always to do something with the gas system itself.

Thanks guys.
Old 28-04-2006, 01:33 PM   #9
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

The only problem, if you want to call it that, that I've noticed is that the Traction Control system is disconnected whilst using Gas.
Old 28-04-2006, 02:20 PM   #10
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
The only problem, if you want to call it that, that I've noticed is that the Traction Control system is disconnected whilst using Gas.
Meh thats not too much of an issue. Supposably its going to give both of our cars problems with the engine and won't run properly. But I don't believe that because there are so many out there that run on gas and are perfectly fine.

But i'm more curious about major problems.
Old 28-04-2006, 07:20 PM   #11
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBII Fairmont
But i'm more curious about major problems.
Hmm, cant help you there. The white barge in the Avatar has been on gas since last August, only 20.000k's since fitting.
Our previous car ('94 Fairlane Sportsman) was on gas with no drama's up to when we traded it with 145.000k's on it.

As for the 'E' series, never heard of specific problems there, but why not have a chat to a cabbie 99.9% are on gas and if there were any problems they would've heard of them.Actually this question would be better in the GAS forum.

Last edited by GasoLane; 28-04-2006 at 07:24 PM. Reason: TYPO'S!
GasoLane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 07:37 PM   #12
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

I have an EF wagon on duel fuel. It usually costs about $6 to each 100 kilometers on LPG and because the fuel system has had little use it now runs better on LPG than petrol. I am not aware of any model specific issues.

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 11:05 PM   #13
goXF
Now AU powered

My boss has only just recently upgraded from an EF stationwagon that had about 250,000k's on it. It was converted to gas from new and he had no problem with it.
goXF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 11:27 PM   #14
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by goXF
My boss has only just recently upgraded from an EF stationwagon that had about 250,000k's on it. It was converted to gas from new and he had no problem with it.
My mate and myself shouldn't really have any problems anyway. Both our cars are on 130,000km at the moment, so I think we should be fine. Both cars have been well treated. As long as it does not start backfiring and destroying the air flow metre. That is probably my main concern.

My dad's ZL used to constantly backfire, and could never take a hill from take off without dieing. I hope this never happens to me. Too many times I had haul its *** home. But ever since he put the impco system in it, it hasn't skipped a beat.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:45 PM   #15
goXF
Now AU powered

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBII Fairmont
My dad's ZL used to constantly backfire, and could never take a hill from take off without dieing. I hope this never happens to me. Too many times I had haul its *** home. But ever since he put the impco system in it, it hasn't skipped a beat.
Backfiring is usually caused by bad leads or plugs.
In the book i got when i converted my XF to gas last year, it said the plugs MUST BE REPLACED EVERY 20,000K's.

I have done nearly 7000k's on gas so far with no backfire.

Eb11 Fairmont: Get a good system, keep it maintained and you will be laughing!! :king:
goXF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post