Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 24-03-2006, 03:26 PM   #1
syktlr
stktlr

Default ed into ea?

hi my ea is in need of new life.i can get a ed donk for 200 with 160kms on it is this good? no leaks or oil usage runs fine.im under the impression that it fits strait in and use a ea mpi ecu.will i have to change the box to 4 speed aswell or to keep costs down can i use the 3 spd? i would like to use a 4spd how much should i pay if i can get one and will it bolt strait up in my 88 ea? thanks

syktlr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2006, 04:18 PM   #2
niko
likes falcon's

u can just bolt it in and leave everything as is.
Old 24-03-2006, 05:05 PM   #3
big_waity
Windsor Man!

So long as the EA MPI ECU you are talking about is the one from your car you will be fine. A MPI ED motor will fit straight in, no need to change box or computer or anything else. Will be well worth the $200 IMHO.
Old 24-03-2006, 07:20 PM   #4
syktlr
stktlr

mine is a cfi so ill get a mpfi ecu but is the loom the same i would guess not being different injection. will i need the loom of the ed or a mpfi ea?
syktlr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2006, 07:38 PM   #5
big_waity
Windsor Man!

That is a bigger job then, I don't know exactly what the difference is. Make sure the ECU you are using is for the gearbox you have, otherwise it'll get confused. I beleive you also need to run different fuel lines and fuel pump. Not sure on that one. Have to ask someone who has done it.
Old 25-03-2006, 12:16 PM   #6
naughtyfalcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have a 4 litre from an eb for my ea,,will swap straight over,,it's once you get to the au is when the fun starts
Old 26-03-2006, 02:28 AM   #7
fmc351
let it burn

As said above, EA - ED is a straight forward swap

But CPI to MPFI is not.

Fuel pump is definately different. Higher fuel pressure is needed for MPFI to run properly. Not sure on the return line, CPI probably has one but Im not certain. If not, youll definately need one.

The loom is different, there are six individual injector connectors for a start. Im not sure if CPI has an Air temp sensor in the inlet manifold, MPFI does. You would need extended wiring for the TPS, and ISC (if they are the same otherwise) as they are near the front on MPFI, but in the middle for CPI. Not certain CPI has a TPS.

Youll need the trottle cable, the auto kickdown cable (if auto ea's use cable, IIRC they do).

Theres 2 relays near the battery (not the block of 4 or 5 they sit under those). One is the EFI relay, the other is the fuel pump relay. Both of these are different in MPFI's. A Brown and Green relay are used in MPFI. Not sure if they wire the same, but CFI and MPFI relays arent interchangeable.

Thats just off the top of my head. Seems easier (hahaha) to change looms. ED will be different due to smartlock etc. You would need an EA MPFI loom.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 04:54 PM   #8
BLKMJC
kustom spinna

Default no sweat

yea dude easy dude jus drop it in and plug it up some plugs on the injection loom may need to be swapped but the wires are the same just differences in tps and termostat sometimes you can also run a ed comp too jus get a smartlock overide module for like petro ject and it will run the comp with out the need of key barrel and bcm try and get a late xh/el motor too coz it s wen they changed to the intech bottom end youll need to swapp the front pulley set up (harmonic balancer fan steering and a/c& alt )un less you run the termos there for youll need to mark the timing line to the el/xh balancer
there is about 3 different balancers they ran between ea to el for diff belts
BLKMJC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 10:54 PM   #9
naughtyfalcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the cfi stuff will bolt straight on,,and you just use the ecu you have,,if you want to go mpfi then you'll need the loom,ecu and fuel pump.

it's up top you as to how much you want to spend..
Old 27-03-2006, 01:10 AM   #10
Felony
Wherever u go there u r

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
u can just bolt it in and leave everything as is.
yes we can cant we niko? :P lol
Cheers
Old 27-03-2006, 01:30 AM   #11
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Just do an MPFI conversion on it mate then you can mod that with like bigger injectors pod filters what ever pulls your fancy!!!!

Become an E-Series Owners Club Member Today!
http://eseries.com.au/index.php/membership/
snypereb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post