Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-02-2005, 10:57 PM   #1
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

Default Spider in car.....

well I was chucking an old I6 radiator in the boot which I'll be delivering to a mate for his speedway car, when something catches my eye. Darting across the parcel shelf between the 6x9s is a bloody huntsman.

I hurriedly finish sitting the radiator into the boot as I know the window of oppurtunity will be limited, and duck into the house for a shoe, torch and little bro. Come back out and its still there, just nestled right into the most rear corner between the parcel shelf and window. I gave bro the torch and he kept the light on it from outside. Jumped in the back seat, took aim with the shoe and fired :

The shoe is not narrow enough to fit into the gap at the back of the car : and the huntsman charges the long way right across the back of the parcel shelf. I continue to swing anyway and he now seems to have realised I can't get him so he darts back and forth just to toy with me, and than duck down a little crack in the passenger side corner :

Any ideas how I can get rid of it? or flush it out? If I suddenly lose control of the car on the X-Series cruise 2morrow you should be able to guess why!!!
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2005, 11:02 PM   #2
THORNSPAWN
In the Forced 'lane

About half a can of fly spray usually does the trick :
THORNSPAWN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2005, 11:06 PM   #3
BJ
Banned

Not nice.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2005, 11:09 PM   #4
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Yep, i'd say the same as 460fairmont. Douse the whole area with fly spray. Also a little trick of mine is to spray the whole area surrounding the drivers seat, sun visor, headlining, etc with mortein 'barrier'. It lasts for 6 monts and ensures no surprises drop on you while your driving.
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2005, 11:09 PM   #5
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460Fairmont
About half a can of fly spray usually does the trick :
yep and since its inside the car i dont recommend the lighter to follow.
or you can use the vacuum cleaner.
spray paint DOESNT work (for places like in the shed). i sprayed a nice black spider i had nesting in the shed with silver paint and thought 'that will be that' but 2 months later i look back at my 'art work' and the little bugger is still alive and still silver and still living in the same place. (yes he did move too so i know he is still alive)
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2005, 11:14 PM   #6
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
yep and since its inside the car i dont recommend the lighter to follow.
or you can use the vacuum cleaner.
spray paint DOESNT work (for places like in the shed). i sprayed a nice black spider i had nesting in the shed with silver paint and thought 'that will be that' but 2 months later i look back at my 'art work' and the little bugger is still alive and still silver and still living in the same place. (yes he did move too so i know he is still alive)
Ohhh i've always wondered if that worked or not! The only time i've ever done that I ended up having to kill it the old fashion way by standing on it.... because the missus started complaining it was inhumane (this was shortly after the little bastard crawled up my arm while I was trying to change the XF's shocks and I headbutted the fuel tank when he got to my hand and I tried to exit real quick!).
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2005, 11:14 PM   #7
THORNSPAWN
In the Forced 'lane

Or you can get those mortien insect bombs that you set off and close the
doors and let it fumigate for a while. That will kill anything else that may be hiding in the car aswell.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:18 PM   #8
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
thats a classic mate, is it still kicking around? I bet it pulls the chicks now to :
Old 12-02-2005, 11:22 PM   #9
Kryton

i actually did try and get some pics of it but being a silver spider against a silver shed it didnt really turn out too good. ill have a look tomorrow and see if its still alive or not (or if it moved). ill try the pics again and see if i can get a decent one to post up.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2005, 11:27 PM   #10
MRJUCY
Fordless

I keep finding big spiders in & on my Falcon for the last couple of months I keep killing them & keep finding more I've got out of the car a couple of times & found one on me I've been thinking of letting one of those bombs off in the car but I thought it might smell pretty nasty in a space that small.

Yeah I sprayed a spider gold years ago & it didn't seem to mind too.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2005, 11:27 PM   #11
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdc351
(this was shortly after the little bastard crawled up my arm while I was trying to change the XF's shocks and I headbutted the fuel tank when he got to my hand and I tried to exit real quick!).
ouch.........what goes around comes around, eh? :evil_laug
Old 12-02-2005, 11:28 PM   #12
THORNSPAWN
In the Forced 'lane

Is that for a tutorial on: "how to rice up a spider"
just need to stick a wing on it
Old 12-02-2005, 11:34 PM   #13
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

bwhahaha owned by that spider

heaps of flyspray or dont even worry about it, its just a huntsman

Chris
Old 12-02-2005, 11:35 PM   #14
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

And some neons!!!!

But seriously guys, its only a huntsman! They won't hurt you.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2005, 11:43 PM   #15
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

So far I haven't had any spiders (well not that big), but I've had 2 bees, and a cockroach. None of them were fun to notice, or try to avoid while driving. YUCK!!

I was in a car once with a friend's sister who was afraid of a moth in the car, and when she noticed it on the drivers window, she turned the steering wheel to the left to get away from it.
Clever girl that. : And she's studying to be a doctor. _
Her boyfriend and I screamed at her to stop the car and get out as we both feared for our safety.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2005, 11:54 PM   #16
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
And some neons!!!!

But seriously guys, its only a huntsman! They won't hurt you.
of course it can't hurt me, but its not gonna be too pleasant when it crawls up my neck! : "rice" spider, i'll try and catch and we'll rice it up 2morrow at the meet :nutsycuck
Old 12-02-2005, 11:59 PM   #17
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Using the other halfs hairspray works. Not sure if I killed it but it was rock solid the next day. That crap is like epoxy resin if you use enough.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2005, 12:05 AM   #18
loxxr6
XB in parts...

I once chased a spider through the house spraying it with a flatmate's hairspray. When it got to the couch I flicked the lighter at it and it caught on fire and kept running across the top of the couch alight until it it must have got too crispy and did the die on its back with its legs pointing together death stance hahaha.

It looked awesome.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2005, 12:05 AM   #19
MRJUCY
Fordless

Oooh I just remembered about my friend who was driving his parents car a few years back & saw a spider in the car.
He threw a road map at it to try & kill it but it scuttled away & hid so he stopped the car to look for it but couldn't find it so he got back in the car trying to touch as little as possible until he could drive to a servo & have a look where there was some better light & try to spray it.
Anyways he was driving & one of the things he hadn't been game to touch was the seatbelt so when he went around a corner it moved & the buckle tapped his sholder which he thought was the spider so he freaked out & steered the car in thje opposite direction & put the car into a gaurd rail & wrote it off.
The funny thing is this guy was a mean looking guy who was a 150kilo plus bouncer with a shaved head & the full tough guy look but was petrified of bugs & would run away squealing whenever he saw something smaller then a cat lol.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2005, 12:08 AM   #20
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

LMAO @ Silver Spiders..
I know a couple of girls who empty their bathroom cabinets on spiders (in one case, hair spray.. it was still moving, bleach.... dying off, shoe... dead
To bad it was on a big, fluffy, purple bathroom mat when they poured bleach on it. Now its half white.

Saying not to be scared of them is easier said than done. On an even playing field I'm not scared of spiders but chuck one on me and i'll move bloody quick till its off me.
I pick up daddy long legs spiders and put them outside.. Try picking up a huntsmen and they go psycho. One i killed 2 nights ago jumped a good 6 inches in the corner from 1 wall to another. It died 6 seconds later but atleast it went out in spider man fashion.
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2005, 12:17 AM   #21
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Saying not to be scared of them is easier said than done.

I hate the damn things. They freak me out. I tend to kill them on sight....

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2005, 12:24 AM   #22
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

I want to know how to get rid of webs like this one

http://www.tandjenterprises.com/imag...side%20big.jpg

normally i just get the host and put it on full bore and belt the crap out of them, I f'ing hate spiders.
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2005, 12:25 AM   #23
Olympus
Rocket Fuel Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilch
well I was chucking an old I6 radiator in the boot which I'll be delivering to a mate for his speedway car, when something catches my eye. Darting across the parcel shelf between the 6x9s is a bloody huntsman.

I hurriedly finish sitting the radiator into the boot as I know the window of oppurtunity will be limited, and duck into the house for a shoe, torch and little bro. Come back out and its still there, just nestled right into the most rear corner between the parcel shelf and window. I gave bro the torch and he kept the light on it from outside. Jumped in the back seat, took aim with the shoe and fired :

The shoe is not narrow enough to fit into the gap at the back of the car : and the huntsman charges the long way right across the back of the parcel shelf. I continue to swing anyway and he now seems to have realised I can't get him so he darts back and forth just to toy with me, and than duck down a little crack in the passenger side corner :

Any ideas how I can get rid of it? or flush it out? If I suddenly lose control of the car on the X-Series cruise 2morrow you should be able to guess why!!!
Mate, your lucky the huntsman was on your parcelshelf !
I was driving along one day and a big phat huntsman was walking in the driversdoor windowsill, I nearly caught an heartattack !!!
I opened my door whilst driving trying to shake the bastard off !! I ended up pulling over and smashing the bastard with my thong.
Olympus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2005, 12:26 AM   #24
THORNSPAWN
In the Forced 'lane

Man, this thread has taken off like a huntsman being chased by a shoe :P
Old 13-02-2005, 12:36 AM   #25
donno
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jease its a bloody spider ya girls, you're about 600 times the body mass. Mind you I jump a mile near hornets and paper wasps. I've been bitten by a hotnet once and they take chunks out!

Comming soon: T04Z, plenum, TrueTrac.
donno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2005, 12:48 AM   #26
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrose_1
I want to know how to get rid of webs like this one

http://www.tandjenterprises.com/imag...side%20big.jpg

normally i just get the host and put it on full bore and belt the crap out of them, I f'ing hate spiders.
For that I'd use a bloody flame thrower!!!

The hairspray and a match trick always works. Although I probably wouldn't advise that in the car. I'd just fill the car with a can of fly spray, shut the doors and pray. :nutsycuck
Old 13-02-2005, 01:04 AM   #27
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

LAWN MOWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460Fairmont
Man, this thread has taken off like a huntsman being chased by a shoe :P
clever
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2005, 01:06 AM   #28
XRated
Shoot.

Dammit. Even reading about them makes me shake down my back and feel all tingly.

Why can't they just stay in the garden and bugger off?? What is it about huntsmans? Most of us blokes seem to be scared friggen shitless of them even though they are pretty harmless.

It doesn't help them having four pairs of eyes either - I remember trying to sneak around one (went right around the house through the opposite side of the hallway) and every time the bastard would turn around and be ready! Ya know, they DO bite!

I don't want to sleep now!! :O

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2005, 01:11 AM   #29
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And we've all heard of drop bears so what about the old drop spider, you know the one the huntsman having a quiet little snooze sleep: on your upturned sunvisor until you so rudely interupt his slumber by putting the visor down,FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRKKKK.

Ive used those bombs in my house before but not in a car,maybe leave it in the boot so no mess in the car and if you have a porthole into the car leave it down
Old 13-02-2005, 01:51 AM   #30
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

I like to see a can of Mortein used on one of these suckers...

*Arachnophobes, be warned. You mat not like the following photo*

*Look away now!*

*Guess if you've scrolled this far down..*

*...you're not as scared as me*

Yes it is real. Known as the Goliath Bird Eater. Can grow to 12 inches in leg span (read as big as a dinner plate). :ticking:

Should take him on the cruise Pilch.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.

Last edited by 12; 13-02-2005 at 01:59 AM.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post