Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 21-12-2005, 03:59 PM   #1
TuMor
its not a!

Default Telling if ED has genuine 90,000kms?

Im gona see a car today for my brother, weve been looking at EB's and ED's with average kms on the clock. Now this one boasts a genuine 90,000kms on the clock, immaculate condition...so on. Owned by an old man from new, garaged most of its life, used to tow a caravan sometimes.
My EA was owned by an old man who did alot of towing, it had avarage kms...i dont think that sort of history is bad compared to a family car, or one owned by a young bloke.

Back to the question, what should i look at to see if that is genuine kms, on the clock and not say 190,000kms winded back to 90,000? I was told that its just had its first headgasket replacement...
Im expecting this car to be extremely neat and tidy, perfect all round...but i need to be sure that this history is true, because it is more expensive than a normal ED.

Any thoughts? (the car is not from a dealer, private ad placed by the old bloke)

Charcoal Black
ohh yeeah
TuMor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2005, 04:01 PM   #2
EA2BA
PM me if you want

LOG BOOKS - they should have it serviced.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2005, 04:06 PM   #3
TuMor
its not a!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA2BA
LOG BOOKS - they should have it serviced.
Yeah, that was the first thing i was gona look at.
Anything else i should look at...its a 5spd by the way

Charcoal Black
ohh yeeah
Old 21-12-2005, 04:09 PM   #4
niko
likes falcon's

wen the last service was, look underneath the car, look at cleanliness including oil leaks and build up. in the engine bay look for ford stikers there should be one on psteer pump, umm look for ford hoses, hmm open oil cap and look at what colour the rockers are, the greyer they are the better.
Old 21-12-2005, 04:13 PM   #5
TuMor
its not a!

Sounds good, i was also going to have a close look at the pedals to see how theve worn.

Charcoal Black
ohh yeeah
Old 21-12-2005, 04:17 PM   #6
wang peterson

check the gearbox carefully, if it's been used to tow a heavy caravan, the clutch/flywheel/bearings/syncro's could be shot, so check that out.

You can usually tell if a car has a genuine amount of kilometers just by looking at it. As long as it's been looked after.

There should also still be a sticker on the block, exhaust side near the bell housing. If it'a a legit 90k, it should still be visible and readable.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2005, 04:26 PM   #7
TuMor
its not a!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang peterson
check the gearbox carefully, if it's been used to tow a heavy caravan, the clutch/flywheel/bearings/syncro's could be shot, so check that out.

You can usually tell if a car has a genuine amount of kilometers just by looking at it. As long as it's been looked after.

There should also still be a sticker on the block, exhaust side near the bell housing. If it'a a legit 90k, it should still be visible and readable.

Yeah, i found that with my EA...has a little gearlash.

Charcoal Black
ohh yeeah
Old 21-12-2005, 04:53 PM   #8
LTDHO
The one and only

You should be able to tell beween 190 and 90. seat wear, pedal wear, carpet. It shouldn't have needed a Head gasket???? Check the shocks, should be standard and still firm. all stickers and screws should look original.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2005, 05:43 PM   #9
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang peterson

BINGO.

It's not hard to pick between 90 and 190k. One thing i would check is if the vehicle is fitted with an external trans cooler. Being used to tow heavy caravans without an external cooler is asking for trouble.

But as was said above, look at the general condition of the car, fabrics, stickers, screws, buttons(if they have worn from use) etc etc.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2005, 05:51 PM   #10
BlackLS

Check if the Odo's numbers line up. Unless they changed the cluster.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2005, 10:40 PM   #11
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
BINGO.

It's not hard to pick between 90 and 190k. One thing i would check is if the vehicle is fitted with an external trans cooler. Being used to tow heavy caravans without an external cooler is asking for trouble.

But as was said above, look at the general condition of the car, fabrics, stickers, screws, buttons(if they have worn from use) etc etc.
Its a manual, they dont have trans coolers
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2005, 10:52 PM   #12
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Check the firewall to see if it has the repair welded in to stop the clutch cable from flexing...
Old 22-12-2005, 02:47 AM   #13
TuMor
its not a!

Quote:
Originally Posted by '67
Check the firewall to see if it has the repair welded in to stop the clutch cable from flexing...

That has not been done, but that doesnt say much. When i bought my EA it had done 310,000kms and the clutch had not yet busted the firewall.

Charcoal Black
ohh yeeah