Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-02-2005, 05:00 PM   #1
xhute

Default LSD or Locking Diff?

I use my ute as a general farm vehicle. It does ok except the tyres are for the road and I get into heaps of trouble off the gravel tracks.

I am assuming that either LSD or better yet a locking diff would help on wet or unstable ground. I noticed that the RTV has a locking diff.

Anyone know of what would be available for my '96 XH ute and whether a LSD or locking diff would be better?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2005, 05:13 PM   #2
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

An LSD is far better if it still drives on sealed roads.

If it only lives on the farm, then ask a welder to do you up a CIG locker.

Rick.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:25 PM   #3
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah definately wouldn't recommend the locker if it's driven on tarmac, but if it's mainly gravel and dirt then that's definately your best bet.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2005, 05:25 PM   #4
xhute

It does both. Hence the locking option seemed good.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:28 PM   #5
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Ok, so a CIG locker is out of the question because it is permanently locked.

A switchable locker like the RTV has would be a good thing, however they are pricey to have fitted.

A tightly packed LSD is also very good, and cheaper than a locker.

Rick.

Last edited by Sox; 08-02-2005 at 05:32 PM.
Sox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2005, 05:40 PM   #6
xhute

So what sort of LSD should I be looking at - are there differences - and what does tightly packed mean?