Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-11-2005, 09:18 AM   #1
big_waity
Windsor Man!

Post Paranoia going too far!

I just got this email from a friend of mine. I won't disclose his name, however, he is the writer of this email not just someone who clicked forward. Just thought I'd post it up to see what people's reactions are.

Here is an example of how idiotic the world has become.

I work at a local primary school. One morning this week at 7:45, I parked my car outside the school, & was listening to the radio news prior to starting work. I happened to have a digital camera beside me on the front seat of the car, as I needed to photograph some equipment later on.

Apparently I look like a pervert, as a passer-by was so alarmed by my unsavoury character that she took my car registration number & called the police to alert them to my presence, believing that I was furtively lurking there to take clandestine pictures of children.

A uniformed police officer went to my home that morning (I wasn’t home) & I was contacted by a CIB officer at 8 o’clock that night. The officer I spoke to had by then done a background check & discovered that I was employed by the school, but was obliged to follow the matter through, to ensure that I had a valid reason to have a camera in my car.

I am astounded that two police officers should have to waste their time investigating such a frivolous & malicious complaint, & I am angered that I should be the target of a police investigation for the perpetration two perfectly legal acts: sitting in my parked car & owning a camera.

This sort of paranoia is becoming rampant, & is the height of stupidity. It is just plain wrong that a person with an overactive imagination can force me to have to justify my actions to the police.

May I respectfully suggest that the busybodies in this country wake up & get some perspective.

Now, that was the email I received. I would happily say under oath that this man is not a pedofile or any form of pervert. He has been married 25 years and is a loving father. I understand the need to keep our children safe and to protect them, but is there really a need to investigate this far into it? Surely, all they need to do is a quick background check, find he's an employee of the school and dismiss it. Do they need to go to his house to question him?

Old 11-11-2005, 09:42 AM   #2
masters24
I gots me a UTE

That's terrible mate.
You only need to take a brief look around to see things going on that really make no sence. I too rekon that many things are being blown out of proportion. A stupid thing for the police to investigate (unles there was a major reason like there was a macine gun there too, but there wasn'), but more to the point, what a stupid thing to ring the cops about... Shows how parthetic the world is getting...

masters24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2005, 09:46 AM   #3
big_waity
Windsor Man!

I don't mind so much if someone see a middle aged man sitting in a car with a camera and gets concerned. However, surely, when the cops find taht he is an employee, need the investigation go further? Why can't a primary school student have a camera at school? Don't teachers regularly take photos of children? Don't the employess need blue cards? Thus, they have had background checks?
Old 11-11-2005, 09:48 AM   #4
masters24
I gots me a UTE

True that...

Old 11-11-2005, 09:49 AM   #5
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

I have 4 kids under the age of 9 years old. I think what happened was PERFECTLY JUSTIFIABLE and I would have done the same. He had nothing to hide and nothing came from it.

Look at it the other way... what if someone WAS a pedofile and no one did or questioned anything.. then a child was abducted, raped and murdered? How do you think the public would react to that?

If I see a person put a bag down and walk away for more than 20 foot and 30 seconds.. I've going to raise the alarm. It may be innocent but do you want to risk it? If its nothing it will be just that, nothing. If it IS something.. then I have done the right thing. Same applies to pedofiles, murderers and the likes.
If it were me in the car getting questioned I'd be more than happy to cooperate cause I have nothing to hide.. and I'd be pleased to do so knowing next time it might be someone else and one of my kids was at risk.

Yes, its a paranoid world... but there is bloody good reason to be so in a lot of respects.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2005, 09:55 AM   #6
big_waity
Windsor Man!

Yeah, I don't mind that it was investigated. And I can see the reasons why it was. However, surely a simple phonecall to the school would sort it out. I think I'm more annoyed at the waste of Police time and resources. As one of my coleagues mentioned, just call the school and ask if he had a right to have a camera there. Need that go further?
Old 11-11-2005, 10:04 AM   #7
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Yeah, I don't mind that it was investigated. And I can see the reasons why it was. However, surely a simple phonecall to the school would sort it out. I think I'm more annoyed at the waste of Police time and resources. As one of my coleagues mentioned, just call the school and ask if he had a right to have a camera there. Need that go further?
I just dont see it as a waste of resource at all... in fact I see it as doing what they should be doing rather than stuffing around with minor garbage. If you want a story of police wasteing resources on nothing I got a great one.. but that getting OT.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2005, 10:04 AM   #8
masters24
I gots me a UTE

Although waity, what is to say that a teacher can't be a pedofile? One of my best mates at school was raped by a teacher!

Old 11-11-2005, 10:17 AM   #9
kaytonk
Moopheus?

Yeah, im gunna go with "the police were doing there job". Maryborough police waste most of their time lapping in that bloody hsv, so i'm not going to complain when they do something that might save one of my children from death or worse. Plus, just knowing that a little incident like this is investigated so much, will hopefully make pedofile's less likely to attempt doing similar.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:17 AM   #10
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Reminds me of a little episode where a grandfather was driving his grandchild to school and the child pointed out a school mate to which he pulled over and asked if the child wanted a lift. The child panicked and took off to the school and raised an alarm that she (in this case) was being abducted.

They (the police) launched a full scale hunt for the man, including dog units, helicopters, you name it. All because a grandfather FFS offered a child's schoolmate a lift to school.

Totally blown out of proportion. How much would it have cost to launch a search like that, over a false alarm?

Paranoia is a wonderful thing, isn't it?...
Old 11-11-2005, 10:22 AM   #11
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Its a bit rought but frankly i think its comforting to know that such a matter is not taken lightly.

I'm sure it wasnt nice mate. But, if 99 innocent guys like yourself have their noses put out of joint in order to catch 1 person whose intentions are not pleasant - its worth it IMO.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:23 AM   #12
kaytonk
Moopheus?

How thankfull would they be if the grandfather was abducting the child. I think anything of this nature is a case for "better safe than sorry"
Old 11-11-2005, 10:38 AM   #13
big_waity
Windsor Man!

Yeah, I spose it wasn't to harsh. And Will, you are right about the cops lapping in that bloody SS crumpldoore. And Kenny, that is going a bit far that one. Surely the kid could have at some stage told someone that the "filthy old man" was their friend's granpappy.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:28 AM   #14
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If a person was in the car actually taking pictures of young kids with the other hand elsewhere, then I'd be in full agreement regarding the action taken. Otherwise it's a bit excessive
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2005, 11:33 AM   #15
big_waity
Windsor Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
If a person was in the car actually taking pictures of young kids with the other hand elsewhere, then I'd be in full agreement regarding the action taken. Otherwise it's a bit excessive
Agreed, now that I think about it more, the camera was in a case on the seat. Is that cause for suspision? He wasn't taking photos. He had a camera in the car, switched off, in a case, no in his grasp. He was sitting for less than 10 minutes, an hour before school starts. The more I think about it, the more rediculous I think it is. O well, I'm over it I guess.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:37 AM   #16
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
...that is going a bit far that one. Surely the kid could have at some stage told someone that the "filthy old man" was their friend's granpappy.
It happened locally, about two weeks ago I think.

I agree on it being ridiculous, and when Will said "Better safe than sorry", I agree in some aspect there, but to launch a search on that scale is plain stupidity.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:11 PM   #17
kaytonk
Moopheus?

yeah that may have been ott, that scale investigation would be what I expect after the child is reported missing. That said, stats say, the first 8 hours are the difference between saving the childs life, the first 12 are the difference between finding the child again. ever. Sure having the camera in the case may look innocent, but its not like pedofiles have a flashing sign on their head. they look just like everyone else. Also, the passer-by has no way of knowing how long he had been sitting there. it may have been 10 minutes, but it could have been hours, he could have taken photo's then put the camera away
Old 11-11-2005, 02:12 PM   #18
kaytonk
Moopheus?

I may be a bit vocal on this topic, but im sick of listening to poeple whining about interuptions to their precious time, then being appaled when something horible happens and nothing was done to prevent it.
/endrant

Quote:
Here is an example of how idiotic the world has become.
No, this is an example of how sad and dangerous the world has become

Last edited by kaytonk; 11-11-2005 at 02:21 PM.
kaytonk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2005, 04:39 PM   #19
turbo00007
Boost

Better to be safe then sorry i say
Old 11-11-2005, 05:55 PM   #20
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Complete and utter waste of resources.
The quick check at the cop shop was more than enough.

Rick.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:17 PM   #21
FordFan86
meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
I have 4 kids under the age of 9 years old. I think what happened was PERFECTLY JUSTIFIABLE and I would have done the same. He had nothing to hide and nothing came from it.

Look at it the other way... what if someone WAS a pedofile and no one did or questioned anything.. then a child was abducted, raped and murdered? How do you think the public would react to that?

If I see a person put a bag down and walk away for more than 20 foot and 30 seconds.. I've going to raise the alarm. It may be innocent but do you want to risk it? If its nothing it will be just that, nothing. If it IS something.. then I have done the right thing. Same applies to pedofiles, murderers and the likes.
If it were me in the car getting questioned I'd be more than happy to cooperate cause I have nothing to hide.. and I'd be pleased to do so knowing next time it might be someone else and one of my kids was at risk.

Yes, its a paranoid world... but there is bloody good reason to be so in a lot of respects.
Well said mate. Tho there still are some people who need to relax a little bit.
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2005, 07:06 PM   #22
Bluefreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytonk
I may be a bit vocal on this topic, but im sick of listening to poeple whining about interuptions to their precious time, then being appaled when something horible happens and nothing was done to prevent it.
/endrant

No, this is an example of how sad and dangerous the world has become
Not really an example of how sad and dangerous the world has become... Watched a show on SBS several weeks ago, investigating the proliferation of child abuse/abduction/paedophilia... According to the statistics, 25 years ago(when I was at primary school) the incidence of these crimes was actually marginally greater. The only difference now is that it's no longer a dirty secret which families hide but nationally reported in the interest of making a difference. The report actually found that todays climate is somewhat safer due to parents/passers by being more aware and willing to speak out.

I say bravo to the individual who raised the alarm, I have young children and am open to a whole world of interuption and lost time if the reason is a genuine concern for the safety of my kids or anyone elses... As for the cops, well maybe a little ott but imagine the backlash if they just said "OK, that seems to add up" and then a kid gets hurt or worse...

just my 0.02c
Bluefreak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2005, 07:40 PM   #23
Paul_au

I think it is good that it happened. Yes a waste of time in this case but maybe by doing this they save some young boy or girls life and stop them and a family going through intense agony in more ways than one.

I think a better idea overall would be security cameras around schools imo. Much cheaper than using poice vehicles and time only a few times a year.

It is mainly sad that the world has lowlifes in it that we need to watch out for this but we do. Young people are beautiful and cute but it is a different way than adults and its a real shame that some men are too pathetic to be able to differenciate.

Paul
Paul_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2005, 09:12 PM   #24
chippa6
Novice Professional

I don't see the problem with this situation at all. I am glad to see that these calls are being taken seriously. Really what harm was done? sure the guy was followed up on and the police visited, but he was innocent and such had nothing to worry about. I don't have kids but if I did I would be glad that someone had the balls to ring it in and not turn a blind eye. 'Cause murphy's law will have it that the time somebody see's something suss and doesn't report it will be the time something bad happens.

I don't think its paranoia I think it is just that people are a lot more aware that these people are out there and nobody wants anything to happen to a young innocent child.

just my 2 cents.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:23 PM   #25
JAJH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seems awfully strange it took the police 12 hours to make contact with him.

PREVIOUS RIDES
AU3 VENOM RED XR8, 19" SILVER ARGENTS, REBEL BODY KIT & 6/4 BREMBOS
MARS RED FG MK2 XR6 ECOLPI, SILVER ARGENT 19" RIMS & TINT
BLOOD ORANGE BA GTP, QUAD EXHAUST, SUNROOF, CHIPPED, SS CAI, 320KW
NAROOMA BLUE AU3 HERROD XR8- SS CAI, TS RIMS, 6/4 BREMBOS, TWIN SPOILER, REBEL BODY KIT & TUNED BY ELITE
VENOM GTP, HERROD EXHAUST, DVD PLAYER, WINDOW TINT, SS CAI, STEALTH
VENOM AU11 TE50, HERROD LOWERED, HEADERS AND EXHAUST
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JAJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2005, 09:26 PM   #26
kaytonk
Moopheus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_au
It is mainly sad that the world has lowlifes in it that we need to watch out for this but we do. Young people are beautiful and cute but it is a different way than adults and its a real shame that some men are too pathetic to be able to differenciate.

Paul
Just thought I should point out, its not just men, it's also other kids, older kids, and women.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:29 PM   #27
lukey
www.lukehimself.net

I think thats fair enough that the matter was looked into and he should respect the fact that they're not accusing him, but they are just making sure that the kids are safe and doing their job. If hes not doing anything wrong, he shouldn't worry about it.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:32 PM   #28
kaytonk
Moopheus?

As previously stated by sum1 else, I dont have much spare time (we do 24x7 support), but if the cops ring me regarding something like this, I will drop whatever im doing, go see them, help them as much as I can, since I have nothing to hide. Then get back to my job. my comment about people's precious time was of course, sarcastic, no-ones time is worth a life