Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-10-2005, 01:47 AM   #1
Kryton

Default Autocad-know how to use it?

got a copy of Autocad 2005 as i intend to create some parts that will need to be CNC cut and was wanting to save on the costs by doing my own programming. my hopes are that i do the programming and give the operators the disc of info and they cut what i want. (save money on programming time).
i will start out with easy designs but i would like to learn how to use it to its fullest so i can do more intricate parts.
now its been atleast 7 years since ive even looked at Autocad and that was only briefly for a few days when i was doing engineering. does anyone here use it for their job or know how to use it? basically looking for help here as ill be jumping in the deep end.
thanks in advance.

Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2005, 01:56 AM   #2
NC_Steve
She needs premium dude...

At uni we use solidworks now. It has built in tutorials so its easy enough to teach yourself.
NC_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2005, 02:00 AM   #3
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
got a copy of Autocad 2005 as i intend to create some parts that will need to be CNC cut and was wanting to save on the costs by doing my own programming. my hopes are that i do the programming and give the operators the disc of info and they cut what i want. (save money on programming time).
i will start out with easy designs but i would like to learn how to use it to its fullest so i can do more intricate parts.
now its been atleast 7 years since ive even looked at Autocad and that was only briefly for a few days when i was doing engineering. does anyone here use it for their job or know how to use it? basically looking for help here as ill be jumping in the deep end.
thanks in advance.

I used it back in 2000 when i was doing my high school tafe course. But I know that tafe have short classes on the program. But than with the cost of the classes it could end up costing you more.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2005, 02:19 AM   #4
Kryton

pretty much i want to draw what i want cut and give them a disc that they put in their system and then it cuts.
trying to keep the costs down as much as possible.
whats the lastest version that most CNC cutters use?
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2005, 07:52 AM   #5
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Blokes at my work use 2006, no easy wway to learn, either just playing with it, or there are numerous online courses, doesnt really help you much though.
Try the age old method of searching Google for "AutoCAD tutorials" it brings up heaps of , lots of free stuff too.
Old 25-10-2005, 08:22 AM   #6
seano14
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

for CNC cutting the autocad drawing would have to be a 3d model wouldn't it? ive been using autocad since 2000 and i'm now on 2006 - ive done a heck of alot of 3d stuff with it also so i know it like the back of my hand. if you have any questions fire away
seano14 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2005, 06:52 PM   #7
Cheap AU
Column Shiftin'

maybe you should use autodesk Autosketch if its simple plans or drawings as autocad is crazy and only really neccesary for really detailed and intricate plans
Cheap AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2005, 07:27 PM   #8
73gscoupe

Just jump into it and blunder around, youll learn quick enough. There is too much to describe, but R14 and above all have windows style icons and are pretty easy to use.

I assume you just want simple parts laser cut from sheet. Most places will want a DXF file, you can save your drawing as this file type easy enough in autocad.
73gscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2005, 07:41 PM   #9
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

DXF file or DWG files seem to be prefered, it will depend on the CAM package that the operating system of the CNC machine works with as to how easily it post processes..

Old 27-10-2005, 07:11 PM   #10
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
I used it back in 2000 when i was doing my high school tafe course. But I know that tafe have short classes on the program. But than with the cost of the classes it could end up costing you more.
I did a short tafe course as an introduction to autocad. If you wanna master the program you definately need to get deep into it and mess around. There's a lot to learn.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2005, 04:20 PM   #11
shane3
FPV GT 0915

we use DXF file's at work for the 2 laser cutters we have, a friend of a friend gave me a copy of Auto cad 2006 worth $30,000, It's the same program that they used to do city link with and I've had it for a month and still trying to get my head around it!!!!!
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2005, 06:15 PM   #12
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i use AutoCAD2006 occasionally at my work. Used to use it every day at my old job, so i know my way around it pretty well. If you need any help, feel free to ask...

if you run into trouble, i can probably even draw the stuff for you (doesnt take long once youre proficient with A-CAD)

dave