Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-09-2005, 10:37 PM   #1
Kryton

Default Electric Razor - what do you use?

as some may know i had to shave the old hedge off my face last week so im looking into buying an electric razor (hopefully to prevent further blood loss) and realised that i know nothing about them. ive only ever used one once in my whole life and the results were pretty bad....lets just say it looked like a cat scratched the sh&t out of my face.
i have sensitive skin (yeah i know) that bleeds easy, even though i havent actually cut myself.
so what should i be looking for?
i dont wanna spend hundreds on it either, just want something that will give me a good clean shave thats easy to use and wont make me need a blood transfusion after it.

Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 10:46 PM   #2
EL_Advanti

hey if your looking for a good electric shaver, you cant go past a braun or remington. They make really great products, and best of all they are really user friendly, so no at the end of it, you wont be looking like you had a war with the family pet.

I use a Braun Flex Syncro, but its was $200. Or you can get one of the more basic ones for $90-$100. But whatever you do...dont get something too cheap...the money u think you are savnig, u'll end up spending replacing the cheap one numerous times.

Finally...the non-electric approach isnt that bad either. Some of the new razors are really nice, easy to use, and make it really hard for you to hurt yourself :-)

apologies for the essay.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 10:53 PM   #3
LUXO_8
windsor user

yeah im thinking of getting an electric shaver as well.

be interesting to see which units are recomended
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 10:54 PM   #4
AdzT3-146
own the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_Advanti

I use a Braun Flex Syncro
i'm pretty sure thats the one i've got aswell. it's really good.
T3 TE50 #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
Id rather date a goat with syphilous then drive a maloo.
AdzT3-146 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 11:29 PM   #5
nick81xd

i use a phillips phillishave was around the $90-$100 area it works pretty good better then my old braun brick haha
nick81xd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 11:56 PM   #6
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've had a mains powered basic Braun shaver from 15 years ago, A Braun Flex Integral rechargeable, and recently a Phillishave rechargeable. The Phillishave is the worst one I've owned. The 30 min shave time is more like 10 in reality, so I've had to use it mains powered pretty much. It doesn't shave as close, and once you move from facial hair to hair on your head - like keeping your sideburns in check it won't shave them right down like it should. Now my Phillishave is going slower despite being cleaned and fully charged so I've thrown it in the back of the cupboard.

The rechargeable Braun lasted not quite 10 years - well it still works on mains power but the battery won't hold a charge, and the foil is stuffed. It was going to cost $100 to replace the battery. So now I'm back to using my trusty basic Braun from 15 years ago, not perfect, but gives a decent shave - almost the same as the more expensive Braun model. The reason I switched from the Braun is that they tend to need a new foil every 12-18 months I find. Because the bits of metal between the tiny holes can break - this leaves a slightly sharp edge - although tiny - sticking up and it sometimes catches your skin and you end up with annoying tiny nicks that are just enough to make you bleed - break out the tiny pieces of tissue. The Phillishave is less likely to do this, but I'd rather have the Braun anyday over the Phillishave and get a decent shave. I bought a foil for the Braun recently - around $25. The cutter is about the same.

Rechargeable can be handy as you can shave anywhere in the house - not tied to the power point. The Braun I had would go a 2 or 3 days at a decent pace on battery power, but then would slow down too much as it went flat
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2005, 12:35 AM   #7
EB-maen
Rise, Toybota!

I use a remington atm, its got two heads or something, i'm not sure of the name; most likely a name that encompasses the whole double thing. I've tried using the types with multiple circular cutting pieces and although they gave a close shave, they resulted in skin irritation, so I went back to the type that the remington is, which is the long curved cutting edges with foil, and the dual one I have atm provided a close shave without any irritation, but I'm not sure how much it cost

13.156 @ 110kph... down the highway :P

EB-maen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2005, 12:40 AM   #8
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

The best thing to do is go to the shaver shop. They helped me out when i bout mine and i'm happy with the shaver i bought.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2005, 10:16 AM   #9
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I've got a mains powered Remington. Nothing fancy, it does the job without cutting up my face. What more can you ask for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2005, 01:55 PM   #10
nang3

yeh i used a Phillishave 4990 i think it was .. couple of hundred bucks at the time, $24 per replacement blade x 3 blades.. only need new blades once every year or 2.. was easy simple and non messy.. best of all could drink beer while using it with no worries about getting foam in your beer..

but I have just gone back to cream and gillete mach turbo blown whatever and it feels 10 x better now..
nang3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2005, 04:12 PM   #11
SunDrifter
To shreads you say?!

I have a phillips waterproof something-or-other. Its ok, certainly doesn't shave as good as a razor, but its easy to shave in the shower with it.

Here's my tip. Spend at least $250-350, otherwise don't bother, and shop around, because prices vary quite a bit.
I've owned Holdens and Daewoos, and had plenty of problems with Holdens and none with Daewoos. Of course, the Holden is the more desirable car to own and drive, but based on my experience it is not the higher quality of the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
Weight means nothing to a cars handling...
:
SunDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2005, 07:22 PM   #12
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tried a philipshave once or twice.
given one as a present.OUCH!!!
felt kinda like it ws tearing em out by the root. and i didnt like the result, still felt rough.
Went back to me trusty twinblade disposable job, can shave one handed in the shower in 30 seconds flat.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2005, 07:47 PM   #13
Panda
XR6 and XR8 Club of QLD

I've got a remington (not sure of model - 3 circular blades) which goes pretty good. Apparently the circular blades cut closer than the foil type. It's rechargable, and a single charge lasts a month.

BTW - your face needs to get used to using an electric razor. Takes about a fortnight.

Panda
Old 30-09-2005, 07:49 PM   #14
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda

BTW - your face needs to get used to using an electric razor. Takes about a fortnight.

Panda
great. looks like i cant win either way.
keep em coming though.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2005, 09:18 AM   #15
NIGHTHAWK
starter motor

Cool

I use a phillips coolshave cost $180.00 had it a year and so far so good. straight under the tap when i finish to clean it out, so far so good.Rechargeable.
NIGHTHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2005, 09:47 AM   #16
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

I've owend a Braun for 15 years, and it still works fantastic.

Rick.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:13 PM   #17
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

I've got the Philishave HQ 5812 or something but shaves pretty well.

But I didn't go for remington due to the salesperson mentioning that the new remingtons appearently need the blades changed every 12 months usually when the Philishave needs to get changed every 5-6 years.

Could be a untrue fact but meh.
JTFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2005, 05:58 PM   #18
xespac

I used a blade for the first time in like 2 years.... I always used an electric hair cutter to do my face....but since that broke I used a blade....cut myself badly. but got the job done in about an hour....blade was good brand but wouldn't cut properly =(

I miss my electric hair cutter!
xespac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2005, 06:11 PM   #19
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick81xd
i use a phillips phillishave was around the $90-$100 area it works pretty good better then my old braun brick haha
DO NOT get a Phillips! they cant handle stress! All it takes to wreck one is to drive over it with a B-Double... along with the digital camera, coffee, sugar, clothes, drink cup, and anything else in the bag!

Roger.