Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-09-2005, 07:19 PM   #1
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 
Default AU stopping power!!

Can anyone make suggestions for brakes on the au 1 wagon.I cant stop the car quickly.Its got me worried. The abs seems to let the car roll to far forward.Any help is welcome..it is a bit scary.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 07:36 PM   #2
xr8ute
Back on the road

Time for better rubber Stav...those 205's are at their limit. Firm up the suspension too, it will stop the front end from 'diving', and transfer that energy to brakes/tyres instead.

Change your brake fluid every 12 months, and fit better pads i.e. Ferodo TD2000, Bendix Performax and so on...

Then if you rotors are getting chewed out too quick, swap in some DBA standard (the cost between std and slotted is not worth it IMO).

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 07:39 PM   #3
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

At 60 kmph and no throttle I jumped onto the brakes and it travelled for another 1.5 metres!! It didnt stop!??? Abs kicked in and no stop?

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 29-09-2005, 07:58 PM   #4
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

better tyres for starters, then look at some good pads and rotors.. No use doing the pads and rotors if the tyres are going to let go first

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 08:14 PM   #5
Kryton

EBC greenstuff is gonna help a bit.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 08:53 PM   #6
Stampy

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
EBC greenstuff is gonna help a bit.
can you get them for the AU
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 09:06 PM   #7
santoitaliano
BF F6, APV SR3900

okay...

change your pads to "Bendix Ultimate"
make a load of dust, but will allow you to stop on a ten cent piece...

White APV SR3900 [WIZZRD] (Click Here) [/COLOR]

Daily:
2006 Red BF F6 Typhoon
Bluepower enhanced.
santoitaliano is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 09:15 PM   #8
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampy
can you get them for the AU
yep. had them on mine and they were great. they dont need to 'warm up' like everyone carries on about, just use them as you normally would and you will be stopping before you know it.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 09:55 PM   #9
FTGAutosalvage
Commercial Sponsor

just do the upgrade to AU2 brakes . much better twin piston calipers , larger rotors ect.

or we have a tickford brake upgrade for a series 1 for $1000
FTGAutosalvage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 10:34 PM   #10
Stav
Smile

What differences are in the tickford brakes? Is it a matter of just doing discs /pads and calipers? I can do this my self if it does.

What does the au2 brake job entail...? Do they just bolt on. My mods are working great but I am afraid of the throttle due to the lack of stopping power.

Old 29-09-2005, 10:40 PM   #11
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
What differences are in the tickford brakes? Is it a matter of just doing discs /pads and calipers? I can do this my self if it does.

What does the au2 brake job entail...? Do they just bolt on. My mods are working great but I am afraid of the throttle due to the lack of stopping power.
You could get a PBR upgrade from cebco brakes - most people that get them, swear by them... www.cebcobrakes.com.au

They will do a PBR twin piston set for about $3k which includes braided lines, calipers, 330mm discs, pads and fluid.
Old 29-09-2005, 10:47 PM   #12
Stav
Smile

I wonder if I can buy a wreck xr6hp? Lsd 3.45 diff,ecu with adaptive shift,brakes...??I wonder How much it would go to?$1000?

Old 29-09-2005, 10:52 PM   #13
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
I wonder if I can buy a wreck xr6hp? Lsd 3.45 diff,ecu with adaptive shift,brakes...??I wonder How much it would go to?$1000?
Well you'd have to find an XR6HP with the upgraded brakes - as the standard brakes were the same as taxi packs.
Old 29-09-2005, 10:53 PM   #14
Stav
Smile

oh!! I must do something soon.

Old 29-09-2005, 11:14 PM   #15
Stav
Smile

Thanks for the suggestions all.I think a trip to MrFord in Greenacre is on the cards.They should have heaps of spares for me there

Old 29-09-2005, 11:43 PM   #16
kryzak260
Brembo Lover

I would be very interested in your outcome and what you do etc, useless.

I have the S1 Fairlane that is currently stock and it worries me now. I cant think how bad they will be when i start getting more power...

Hers: 2006 BF Super Pursuit in Vixen
kryzak260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2005, 12:09 AM   #17
FTGAutosalvage
Commercial Sponsor

Quote:

the tickford brakes are 330mm rotors & twin piston calipers.
they come with the tickford uprights & braided hoses.

the AU2/3 BA brakes require the lower arms,uprights and sway bar to be changed. we sell a few of these for conversions
price is $1650 with 300mm BA rotors & calipers we have 2 complete kits in stock at the moment.1 set from a BRAND NEW car.

$1000 for a wrecked AU XR6 i wish. try upwards of $3,000 unless its burnt and then it would be close to $1000
FTGAutosalvage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2005, 12:21 AM   #18
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
At 60 kmph and no throttle I jumped onto the brakes and it travelled for another 1.5 metres!! It didnt stop!??? Abs kicked in and no stop?
Your brakes are not what worries me - it's the fact that you expect the car to pull up from 60 in less than 1.5m!? If you were stopped and then jumped on the brakes and it travelled 1.5m, I would be worried, but the fact that you were mving at 60, means that braking distance is around 20m.

Get the DBA slotteds, with Ferodo Pads on the front only and you will notice a huge difference. Do the backs as well, and the brakes are improved slightly again, but not as much as doing the fronts.

DBA or RDA slooted rotors range from around $100 - 130 per corner. Ferodo pads are around $130 a set (front and rear), so for around $650, you will greatly increase your braking ability. Based on those prices though, the $1k package from FTG Auto Salvage sounds like the go.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2005, 12:59 AM   #19
Stav
Smile

the salvage does sound good.Dba front slotted rotors have been recommended to me by someone already and so to dba pads.Sure beats not being able to stop if a kid or stupid driver decides that they want to be on the news that night. I think safety is paramount in my mind.....it hurts being hit by 2 trucks.

Old 30-09-2005, 01:01 AM   #20
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTGAutosalvage
the tickford brakes are 330mm rotors & twin piston calipers.
they come with the tickford uprights & braided hoses.
Do they just bolt on?

Old 30-09-2005, 08:56 AM   #21
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
You could get a PBR upgrade from cebco brakes - most people that get them, swear by them... www.cebcobrakes.com.au

They will do a PBR twin piston set for about $3k which includes braided lines, calipers, 330mm discs, pads and fluid.
Holy cow ... that's expensive.

I'll be getting 4-piston calipers and 330mm rotors with braided lines full fitted to the AU for half that price.

I am looking at selling my AU2 twin piston caliper setup soon when i fit the bigger brakes though.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2005, 09:18 AM   #22
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Stav this is a real issue in modding a Falcon.

With a wagon, ute & non IRS sedan the chassis and brakes become quite a limiting factor in the overall cars dynamics when you start to up the power by a reasonable level.

You look at the XR6VCT, T series and XR8's and they are a better basis for a high performance engine to start with. even then most of these models needed the brake option to make them suitable for any track work.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2005, 11:04 AM   #23
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Holy cow ... that's expensive.

I'll be getting 4-piston calipers and 330mm rotors with braided lines full fitted to the AU for half that price.

I am looking at selling my AU2 twin piston caliper setup soon when i fit the bigger brakes though.
where from? what product (calipers and rotors) are these all new or second hand? If it is new (direct comparison to the product I described) then a lot of people would be interested at that price! If it second hand, well - don't even bother comparing NEW vs second hand, of course it will be cheaper.
Old 30-09-2005, 01:59 PM   #24
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
where from? what product (calipers and rotors) are these all new or second hand? If it is new (direct comparison to the product I described) then a lot of people would be interested at that price! If it second hand, well - don't even bother comparing NEW vs second hand, of course it will be cheaper.
I am awaiting the kit to be put together.
FernTree Gully Autosalvage are putting together similar kits as well as Crescent Motorsport. When the details are finalised .. I'll post everything up on here.

So far there is a test kit on an EF (I think) Fairmont Ghia V8 in Sydney ... must have at least 17" wheels to fit these too.

As far as I know the calipers are sourced from Nissan Parts department ... but looking for a new supplier .... they were originally fitted to the R32 Nissan Skyline GT-R from memory. Parts are new though.
Old 30-09-2005, 02:20 PM   #25
sickxr
Ford POWER!

About 2 weeks ago i put in some front DBA slotted rotors and Bendix Ultimate pads in my AU2 XR. They work wonders.... the only thing is all the break dust they make. I got them from repco on a trade account for only $320.
sickxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2005, 04:15 PM   #26
loxxr6
XB in parts...

The cebco package is impressive but damn pricey.

Quote:
FernTree Gully Autosalvage are putting together similar kits as well as Crescent Motorsport. When the details are finalised .. I'll post everything up on here.
I thought Joe @ Crescent did the brake conversions to series 2 already ?

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2005, 05:05 PM   #27
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

He has the Tickford twin-pots ready.
He is finding a new supplier (cheaper) for the calipers.
All other parts are made up for rotors (for both the EF/EL & AU).

I will be getting the 4-pots when they are ready for mass production ... in the meantime I might just get myself a set of Tickford twin-pot calipers and then sell them later when the 4-pots are ready.
Old 30-09-2005, 05:34 PM   #28
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

Default AU XR8 Twin Pistons

I have a set of Twin Piston AUII XR8 Front calipers and DBA slotterd rotors as well as the rear calipers and DBA rear rotors if any one is interested.
I have a EL and they dont fit that with out huge mods so i guess there up for sale?.......
Old 30-09-2005, 06:09 PM   #29
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegabass
I have a set of Twin Piston AUII XR8 Front calipers and DBA slotterd rotors as well as the rear calipers and DBA rear rotors if any one is interested.
I have a EL and they dont fit that with out huge mods so i guess there up for sale?.......
I think there is a difference with the stub axles ... there is a conversion kit as far as I know ... not sure where to get it from though.
Old 30-09-2005, 06:09 PM   #30
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickxr
About 2 weeks ago i put in some front DBA slotted rotors and Bendix Ultimate pads in my AU2 XR. They work wonders.... the only thing is all the break dust they make. I got them from repco on a trade account for only $320.
I have used the ultimates . Besides the dust problem they chewed through the front rotors quick. I now use bendix advance which leaves hardly any dust & does not wreck the rotor so quick & still pulls up well. But I have IRS, Yokohama C drive 17" tyres & lowered springs with sportrider struts which help a lot in handeling & stopping.

Some guys spend money on performance on the engine to go faster only to leave the car with poor braking & nearly unroadworthy or secondhand tyres & stock suspension which are the main parts on saftey.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post