Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 24-08-2005, 10:20 PM   #1
OldFogey
Starter Motor

Default EB oil leak , help please

I have a oil leak at the front of the engine (EB 6cyl) at first it looked to be coming fron the front of the head where there is some sort of plastic??or rubber gasket below the head. After cleaning it appears that it is leaking all around the what I assume to be the timing chain cover. Is this a big job to replace the gasket? Not having a manual for the vehicle I assume the usual remove radiator, water pump ect... can anyone advise me on this. Does the head have to come off? Thanks in advance for any advice.

OldFogey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2005, 11:05 PM   #2
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

Chain tensioners can come loose, this is located on the drivers side of engine under power steering pump. There is an o-ring that can be replaced.
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2005, 06:27 PM   #3
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Old Fogey, the parts arent that expensive but there is a lot of work. There are gaskets either side of the Front cover and one just under the head. You can do them without taking the head off but you DO have to undo the sump and drop down a little.

The Radiator needs to come out and the Harmonic Balancer (changing the front timing case seal is a good idea as well).

There is the Bodgey way, SILASTIC
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2005, 06:46 PM   #4
EB-maen
Rise, Toybota!

sounds almost the same as what I think is happening with mine. Has your altenator belt been slipping/squealing for brief periods on startup?

13.156 @ 110kph... down the highway :P

EB-maen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2005, 09:03 AM   #5
OldFogey
Starter Motor

Yes EB-maen it squeals for a short time , I quess its the oil over the belts..

oh well no t.v. or driving the AU on the weekend. I tried some of that stop leak stuff - dont waste your money it didnt appear to do anything.

cheers..
OldFogey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2005, 12:21 PM   #6
Valknutr

just been through this with my car, my belt was squeeling but thats cause it was split the whole way through, you think thats bad you should see my air conditioning belt...
but anywho the leak is coming from just under the power steering fluid holder thingy (dont know its name) the o-ring seal inside will be split so replace that and that should be that
Old 28-08-2005, 12:24 AM   #7
superloweb
Fairmont6

old fogey falcons seem to leak alot from the power steering bracket bolt that bolts up to the head. mine was leaking for donks and power steer belt was squeakin pretty bad so thought i better fix it. pull the bolt out clean it up and use some sort of thread sealant, good ol silicon also i had a falcon i workde on and when the head was done last time the bolt was the wrong one and it gave the same effect it shoudl be rather long bolt and not a set screw haha althoguh this could be useless info if its from ur timing cover haha
superloweb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2005, 02:29 AM   #8
sanity_assassin

Greets,

OldFogey, did you resolve this problem? Was it an oil leak and what did you do about it? I too thought the power-steering pump on my I6 ED was leaking but my mechanic said the pump was fine and that oil is leaking from the front rubber head(?) gasket. He told me to clean the area and smear a bead of sealant/silastic along the joint where the oil is leaking out, but to date I haven't done it 'cause I wanted to run the idea past the guys here.

My mechanic also suggested that I spray a little RP-7 on the belts to stop them squeaking but that doesn't seem to have helped the problem. My mechanic was reluctant to entertain a head off job. For one it would be prohibitively expensive (~$800 -- I'd rather do an engine swap or car upgrade at that price!) and for two, he was worried about disturbing the engine, by which I think he is referring to the timing/EFI/valve-train. From what I've read here it seems the head doesn't have to come off, so perhaps I should try another mechanic?

So what did you find out Oldy? And what do the rest of you guys think?

Thanks in advance lads...
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2005, 04:53 PM   #9
JUZXR8
Hmmmmm

It sounds to me that its just the rocker cover gasket, not that expensive at all, cost me $30 for the gasket n about 2 1/2 - 3 hrs of work
JUZXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2006, 05:17 PM   #10
Hixsta
Propane Powa

The Radiator needs to come out and the Harmonic Balancer (changing the front timing case seal is a good idea as well).

Hi,

My leak I belive is coming from this timing case seal. In the manual it says I require a seal fitting tool. Anyone know what it is or what I can use as a substitute.

Thanks.
Hixsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post