Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 21-07-2005, 11:37 PM   #1
Vision Zetec
Hurry up Germany!!

Question AU/EL xr6 motor into my EBII?

hey guys,

i was thinking recently if it would be worth keeping my EBII, in a couple years (im 18 now), and keep on working on it or get rid of it.

i decided to keep it as i cant imagine getting rid of it in two years!!!

anyway i was thinking of what to do engine wise and with the help of Stu (dogbreath_48) we came up with the idea to eventually drop an EL or hopefully even an AU xr6 motor in and do some mild work to that.

how much roughly would each of these motors cost to put in?

should i save my money now by leaving my EBII motor standard and save money for the newer engine later on?

one reason i want to do this is my EB has done about 280k's, so a newer engine i thought would be the better option for the long run.

any thoughts?

cheers

Daniel

Old 21-07-2005, 11:48 PM   #2
John_LS1

well unless your motor is stuffed just leave it. spend the money on a manual for best performance then go a cam and extractors.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2005, 12:45 AM   #3
dogbreath_48
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_xr6
well unless your motor is stuffed just leave it. spend the money on a manual for best performance then go a cam and extractors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBII Falcon
my EB has done about 280k's
Out of interest, how long does it take for an I6 to become 'stuffed'? i would have thought that by 300000k's the engine would be well past it's best...

I'd suspect an AU motor would be alot of trouble, given the different plenum/intake and computer. Would i be right?
dogbreath_48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2005, 12:51 AM   #4
EFFalcon
Last warning

if u were gunna use an AU engine, u'd use the block and head.. and have to stuff around with the belt system, thus use XH bits and peices to keep the EB manifold.
or you could use the AU belt system, and AU manifold etc.. (extra work)

finding low KM ef/el engines will be getting harder now..
plenty of AU low km engines..
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2005, 01:07 AM   #5
John_LS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbreath_48
Out of interest, how long does it take for an I6 to become 'stuffed'? i would have thought that by 300000k's the engine would be well past it's best...

I'd suspect an AU motor would be alot of trouble, given the different plenum/intake and computer. Would i be right?
why change it if it dont blow smoke/**** out oil/burn oil/use heaps of fuel/have bearing knocks etc etc. ur just going to put in another motor you have no idea about the history of it.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2005, 01:12 AM   #6
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

exactly - clean up the block and head and throw some new bearings and rings in. Will probably cost the same but youll have a new engine.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2005, 01:12 AM   #7
dogbreath_48
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_xr6
why change it if it dont blow smoke/**** out oil/burn oil/use heaps of fuel/have bearing knocks etc etc. ur just going to put in another motor you have no idea about the history of it.
ahh yeah fair enough....what i was getting at is that a 3000000km engine would surely be verging on blowing smoke/****ing out oil/using heaps of fuel/having bearing knocks etc etc. Add to that poor compression...
But i see your point.
dogbreath_48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2005, 04:26 AM   #8
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

you're all soft lol.
my ebII has an AU2 6cyl in it. easy job. well, now that we've figured it out its easy lol.

36000km au engine with all ancilleries cost me $1200. can be had cheaper now.
we used an EL BBm and EL ECU. a few extra wires, but nothing major. not only does it operate the BBM vacuum swith but it also switchs the EF thermo fans. with the BBM you can then fit an EF/L airbox + tickford snorkel.
you have to shave a bit of the ribbing off the front of the sump (nothing major) and its best to use an au bellhousing (mine cost $50)
i only fitted mine because i killed the eb engine. as in cooked it.
if you can get one from a wrecker with a warranty, its not a bad idea.
i wouldnt bother retrofitting eb v-belts though.
and you can still run an EB-D manifold on the AU motor, so that can make it a real easy swap.

after saying all that, an au motor is essentially an EB motor, still just a 4.0L six, fits in the same spot. just a tad stronger....

like i said, i killed my eb motor, and i figured the cheapest/best option was AU.
its a good selling point too ;)

as the others have said, depends on whats wrong with your motor. if its fine, just not powerfull enough for you, cam and exhaust it, then go manual ;)
Old 25-07-2005, 03:56 PM   #9
Vision Zetec
Hurry up Germany!!

yer ok thanks guys

it is running fine but this whole 'new engine' thing wouldnt happen till another few years when i get some money to really spend on her. in a few years she will probably be around 300k's. yer im going to go air intake and extractors and see how she improves in performance.

thanks for the advice guys