Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-07-2005, 09:18 AM   #1
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Default Fond Childhood memories

Just a thread to take us back to when we were younger, just list a few of your fond memories or favourite hijinks:-

Eating Mulberries in my 'good' clothes, then watching Mum turn the same color as my lips with rage. :

Playing backyard cricket, hitting the ball into the bushes, stomping in G.I. Joe style to get the ball only to find a not impressed frilly lizzard right next to it.. Then running out of the bushes and telling your mates you weren't scared

Swimming in the pool all day getting pink eye from the chorline then wondering where all the smoke was coming from

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 09:26 AM   #2
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

Making jacko lanterns at school and one of your friends dares you to stick it on your head. You do, and it gets stuck. Your 'mates' then tell you that they have to smash it to get it off and consequently start laying into you in an attempt to break the pumpkin.

Ahh yes tibbo... Those were the days...

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 10:56 AM   #3
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Hearing my dad winge about paying 25cents a litre for Shell Premuim Unleaded
Old 20-07-2005, 11:05 AM   #4
xrgran

riding my horse to school on the odd occasion...netball on weekends, especially against Monbulk-that was like a war!

Shooting the air rifle in the yard, hitting empty coke can's with my dad.

Making snow men, and having snowball fights at my brothers house at Sherbrooke Forest.

Getting a strawberry milkshake after school every day at the milkbar at Tecoma-and all my friends thinking I got them for free, when really mum paid weekly for me to go in and ask _2:

Oh, and the classic was mums friends pulling up at the Belgrave servo and putting 50c of fule in her 'Rolls Royce' to get her up the hill to the bowser at their house
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 11:44 AM   #5
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

Running through the sprinkler on hot summer days. Wasn't that long ago actually, but its a pastime that has been lost for ever.

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 01:15 PM   #6
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Yeah the sprinkler... my kids had that for one summer I think :(

Anyway, childhood memories -
being a tomboy
riding my pushbike into a barbed wire fence (came out with no scratches but the bike was almost written off)
eating my mum's biggest strawberries (she owned a strawberry farm)
the whinging of my father at the price of petrol (I hear ya, XR8fella!)
hanging on the hills hoist while my niece pushed me around until I was sick (and vice versa)
BONFIRE NIGHTS! Gee I miss those
getting a huge packet of lollies (when Fads were called Fags and you used to pretend to smoke them like adults did) for 20 cents

The list could go on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 01:23 PM   #7
Donut Queen
Back Seat Driver

Someone wise once said 'Those who have fond memories of childhood were obviously never children.' :P
Great advice from Dogbreath_48 about selling a car: "umm..maybe edit your post a little bit. Leave out the bit about running over over your dog, remove the word 'sic', as well as the aformentioned washing/tidying!"
Donut Queen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 01:30 PM   #8
big_pete
Sublime

i remember swimming in the creek that goes through the middle of town, from one side to the other.
it used to get huge rapids when it rained heavily, so a bunch of us kids would just go swimming in the creek

also frontyard cricket was a ritual at my place, every kid in the neighbourhood would play, we had a beautiful cracked cement pitch that was hell for the batter!

man how times have changed
Old 20-07-2005, 01:32 PM   #9
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Sitting on my dads knee while we flew up and down the country roads in his V8 P76 (The sound of that thing is still with me to this day), me pretending I was driving while I held onto the steering wheel (of course, my father was the one actually steering, but if I had my hands on the wheel I could believe I was doing it)...
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 01:35 PM   #10
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut Queen
Someone wise once said 'Those who have fond memories of childhood were obviously never children.' :P
Damn, that's real deep.
Old 20-07-2005, 04:56 PM   #11
ferris01
I am a Princess!!!

Sliding down a hill with cardboard or sliding down the internal stairs of the house with a mattress...sitting in the tree eating mulberries...lying in the back yard looking for a shooting star, satalite, or the occassional comet.
ferris01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 05:36 PM   #12
megsy
Undergraduate EB Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferris01
lying in the back yard looking for a shooting star, satalite, or the occassional comet
i can relate to that used to see a few of them too
-----------------------
megsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 05:49 PM   #13
WeirdEL

the sound of the old GM Class locomotives in the railway yard in Kalgoorlie.
Black and white television.
Sitting in the back of our brand new XW Falcon as we drove all around Darwin.
Darwin before Cyclone Tracy.
Seeing Flynn's grave before they took the "Devils Marble" off.
"Window shopping".
Watching colour television for the first time.
Old 20-07-2005, 06:17 PM   #14
Dodge
i like to be stroked

slip and slide with heaps of dish washing liquid,, bush bashing , going home to make a phone call... never having to worry about house keys, making hugh frozon ice blocks out of @ 3 ltrs or water and cordial mixed in a plastic bag and frozon, injecting oranges with vodka and freezing them for school, and most memerable is playing sticky fingers must have been thoes oranges
Old 20-07-2005, 06:29 PM   #15
Angry Beaver
Beaver fever

AHHHH yes the mulberry tree such fond memories indeed. except it was at my grandmothers place in chermside right next door to the old outdoor dunny. The other thing i remember is camping in strange places that my father some how found and fishing.
Angry Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 06:34 PM   #16
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young 'un
Making jacko lanterns at school and one of your friends dares you to stick it on your head. You do, and it gets stuck. Your 'mates' then tell you that they have to smash it to get it off and consequently start laying into you in an attempt to break the pumpkin.
That was last week wasnt it?

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 07:06 PM   #17
WeirdEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge
...going home to make a phone call...
I remember when we moved to Perth and got the phone on at home for the first time...
Old 20-07-2005, 07:21 PM   #18
whiskieboy

Growing up in Scotland we played all day in the snow, going to school in the dark, wearing reflective vests, making snowmen on the road and putting our vests on them,ha,ha and listening to the mayhem, helping dad behind the bar at " Hogmany " (New years Eve to Aussie's) except in scotland it lasts 3 days at least, gang wars with other neighbour hoods, Singing at the Football, coming home on the double decker bus after winning..... :
whiskieboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 08:37 PM   #19
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my fondest was back in 1973, one week before my 8th birthday, i had my first aeroplane journey. i was awe struck for weeks after and i will never forget that.
then there was lego, mechano and my old man taking the family for lunch on Italian and Greek ore ships. yeah childhood was great.
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 08:52 PM   #20
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

The constant knocking of cops on the door an running from my old man
The amount of money flowing in from offering protective services to my fellow grade 1s
The royal Flush for any kid that didnt pay up
The nurses in hospital while I was in there for a 6 months stint
The cattle prod and the respect it warrants
Going down to the local tip on a saturday arvo and selling stuff off on a sunday at the flea markets
Shooting foxes, cats dogs and people when air rifles where ripe
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 08:52 PM   #21
Dodge
i like to be stroked

remember when a Big mac was hugh and lollies were 1 and 2 cents, a packet of chips was 25 cents and the best game was a sit down space invaders which cost 2 bob .
Old 20-07-2005, 08:59 PM   #22
Dodge
i like to be stroked

i remember when my mum drove up the drive way in a brand new ford cobra, it was a friday arvo and she called me from work to tell me to wait and see what shes got and i waited on the drive for 10 mins, then started to walk up the road , about 1/2 hr later i was on top of the hill and saw this beast of a car and mum behind the wheel, i ran down the hill as fast as my feet could carry me to home and i was in the front seat ready for a spin b4 u caould say oggy coogy
it was a 4.9 auto with factory air and roof, it was the bees nees or ducks nuts of the hood , i had to be seen in this so mum drove me to the corner shop . i think gas prices went to a record high in 1978 so ford gave away any V8 for next to nuthn, the cobra stayed for a few months b4 she traded it on a XC 5.8 wagon with a 2 way tail gate for work.. bad moove mum bad moove
Old 20-07-2005, 09:01 PM   #23
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
The amount of money flowing in from offering protective services to my fellow grade 1s
Haha, there's always one .
Old 20-07-2005, 09:31 PM   #24
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I remember being around 3 years old and going for a drive with my grandpa.He had a safari valiant wagon and I slid off the Mr sheened seats..it was quick and it was good fun

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 09:36 PM   #25
Dodge
i like to be stroked

did u loose any skin off the elbows when u went around a corner, My olds had a cooper S when i was 1 yr old
Old 20-07-2005, 09:51 PM   #26
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The test drive in the 302 bronze wine XY fairmont and my inability to convince dad that a purple VH Valliant Ranger was not the way to go.

The smell of freshly cut grass wafting in through the classroom window on a warm breeze at Newbridge school one afternoon in 1974 and my lack of attention which led to the rest of the afternoon's classes being conducted outside.

Having a frost so severe that the dam in the front paddock was frozen over thick enough to send an unwilling sheepdog on a skating lesson. (We lived near Blayney)

Being tricked by a girl one afternoon after school in fifth class in a game of "show me yours and I'll show you mine", I lived up to my end of the bargain........

Regards,
Tote
Old 21-07-2005, 08:02 AM   #27
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
The royal Flush for any kid that didnt pay up
That explains alot about you! :evil3: :hihi:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskieboy
wearing reflective vests, making snowmen on the road and putting our vests on them,ha,ha and listening to the mayhem
Can you spell one word for me? E-V-I-L? : :hihi:

This is a great thread! I also forgot to mention the numerous times I helped my dad fix either his Honda 750, mini, or HR wagon. Plus all the rest of the family's cars.

I remember my dad's funniest line while working on a mini - "I need to be a Japanese left handed six fingered dwarf to work on this bloody car!" (insert pommie accent).

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2005, 07:37 PM   #28
WeirdEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nak351
...then there was lego, mechano ...
Ahh, Mechano! I've managed to put together a really good set from when the people in France took over but before they started going down hill. I've even purchased some extra bits so that you can make all of the projects in all of the books I've got. It's all brand new and never been used.

If we don't end up having kids then someones going to get a good present!!
:
Old 24-07-2005, 12:51 AM   #29
xrgran

Not to mention Lego! The kids still have heaps of the stuff in crates tucked away for future use.

My dad used to have a lego village set up in the spare lounge room, so when we went for a visit the kids could play with it.

Yo-yo's were always entertaining, so where hoola hoops and stilts.
Old 24-07-2005, 08:20 AM   #30
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

FIREWORKS NIGHT!!

How we all survived without serious burns is beyond me but damn, that was fun. Bottle rockets through the neigbours front door, blowing up letterboxes and having "10 baller" wars was wild fun.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post