Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 16-07-2005, 11:35 AM   #1
bluethunder

Default ACL kits..

Howdy all,
Im wondering if ACL sell bottom end rebuild kits for turbo applications? I got a 3.9l block and crank but everything else is 4l, its origionally got EF pistons in it which my comps too high so I need to drop it using the low comp pistons. Would it be worth doing myself or getting someone else to do it?
Because I want to o ring my block, get my rods shot peened and get new rod bolts and everything ballanced and machined, thats why I thought get someone to build it coz if I do it myself it might cost twice as much to get all that stuff done myself.
Do acl have different size low comp pistons coz I need ones that are 10cc lower than what ive got now and ill need a 1.6mm gasket to bring my comp down to 8.5:1, ive checked it now and its 9.8:1.
What does the kit consist of? pistons, rings, bearings, does it come with a high volume oil pump? I think I read somewhere that it does? And is there anything else id need to change while rebuilding my engine like timing chain and guides and stuff like that? Sorry bout all the questions but I thought it was bout time I post a thread up here and ask some q's!
My head should be cool as its only a year or so old, its a 4l but its been match ported, cam, valves.. see how we go.
The reason why I have to build my engine coz it did a head gasket, probably coz the compression was too high, it still went like stink though. It was just a tiny bit slow to rev off boost and didn't have the full top end power. Its torque was 975nm on 12psi and 195rwkw but they said once I lower the comp I can advance my timing and the torque will come down and the power will go up.. anyway i better go otherwise ill keep typing.
Thanks in advance for comments and answers.

Cheers!

bluethunder is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2005, 11:57 AM   #2
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

Sounds like you're quite advanced with the project as it is, if there isn't much info here I suggest http://www.acl.com.au/ - they should be able to answer your questions directly. If so, keep us posted.
ilsautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2005, 12:57 PM   #3
EASPRINT
FPV GT-P 335!

I'm using oversize EA ACL Race pistons in my EF engine. I then had them dished to suit the turbo application.....Any engine workshop could do that for you. The EA pistons had more meat in the top, therefore making them better to get machined.
Old 16-07-2005, 01:48 PM   #4
Walkinshaw
Two > One

the other good thing, a 20thou over EA piston into an 4.0 motor only needs a 3thou hone on the block

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2005, 04:46 PM   #5
bluethunder

Ah okay, im still a bit unsure on what kit to get? Would I need a turbo one or just a standard ea kit?
What prises roughly would I be looking at for a person to rebuild my engine if I supply all the parts and they do all the machining, oringing of block, ballancing and stuff like that?
Or is it far cheaper to do it myself? I think I worked it out to be roughly around 1800 if I do it myself.. Does that sound about right?

Thanks.
cheers!
bluethunder is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post