Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 13-07-2005, 07:13 AM   #1
riverrat321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default xr6 vs xr8

I know this has brobably been asked before but it won't let me do the search. Anyway what do you guys think is the better car out of xr6 and xr8 from EB to EL11? Taking performance, reliability and maintance costs into concideration. Do the v8's have a lot more grunt? Thanks guys...

riverrat321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 07:24 AM   #2
Steffo
LPG > You

EB/ED XR8s only had 165kW and 388Nm. The XR6s had 161kW 366Nm and less weight to lug around. They were faster, used less fuel, and the reliability of the 4.0 is well proven.

The EF XR8's had 170kW and 398Nm.. while the XR6's output grew to 164kW. By this point, the XR8 nudged ahead a touch, but it was still pretty similar.

After October 1997's update.. the EL got 185kW and 412Nm. By this stage, the XR8 was generally quicker then the XR6 every time.

If you're after a decent car to drive, decently quick, not too expensive to run etc.. go for the XR6. Doesn't matter which.. EB - EL, they're all very nice cars. The XR8 are good too, but their performance doesn't justify the higher price to run them and buy them (stock anyway).
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 10:10 AM   #3
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have never had a 6 cylinder '90's model car, only v8's. same as anything, if you look after it reliability is not a problem. v8's are dearer for rego, insurance and probably fuel as well. as for the numbers game i couldn't care less especially when you have that glorious v8 note from your pipes. the six just dosn't cut it there. long live v8's.
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 10:18 AM   #4
bprint xr8
more posting less lurking

The V8 is a very reliable piece of gear. The 6's are also, if you discount head gasket issues. This was fixed by late EL though.

For cars of this age it think it mores come down to finding one in good condition.

As you can see by my sig I have V8s, but previously also had an ed fairmont I6 which never gave me any issues.
Old 13-07-2005, 12:22 PM   #5
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

Get the V8. The difference in fuel consumption is bugger all and the payoff in sound and smoothness is worth it. The six cylinder motors are rough, horrible things after being in an 8. You wont regret it.
Old 13-07-2005, 12:32 PM   #6
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Either way, if you're in an XR, you're a winner! They're all good cars :evilking:

-Dave-
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 03:29 PM   #7
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

go with the V8, more torque and better sound....the day i can move up to a 8 i know i wont regret it!...all my broz have 8'z n even my ol man..i just want one

-Grechie
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 04:03 PM   #8
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Get the V8. The difference in fuel consumption is bugger all and the payoff in sound and smoothness is worth it. The six cylinder motors are rough, horrible things after being in an 8. You wont regret it.
You reckon the 6 is that uneconomical that it's close to an 8 to run ?

Up until the later model 8's the 6's keep up a respectable fight against the 8's. The 6's are also cheaper to mod for decent gains.

However I know if petrol prices weren't an issue I'd gladly take swap my xr6 for an xr8.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 04:24 PM   #9
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

I've owned a few of each, and my preference is the I6.

The standard V8's up until the ELII XR8 are utterly gutless, and drink fuel like there's no tomorrow.

Not only do the I6's go better standard, but they also require far less money to produce even more power, with 170rwkw and low 14's 400 times achievable for 5k.

They also handle a lot better.

From ELII onwards things are different, as the Wheezer actually went reasonable in the 185 version.

As for torque, the V8 only has an edge below 2000rpm, above this, the I6 actually produces more torque than the V8.

For pure driving pleasure, the I6 has it all over the V8, as it feels lighter (as it is), is far more nimble, is more throttle responsive, has more power.
By comparison the V8 feels heavy and truck like, with truck like performance, less responsive steering, etc.

BTW, Steffo, the EF XR8's did not nudge ahead of the EF XR6, the V8 was a dog like all it's predecessors, with the XR6 still in front in every way. It was only the ELII where the V8 outperformed the I6.

Rick.
Old 13-07-2005, 04:28 PM   #10
Steffo
LPG > You

The EF XR6s were capable of 0-100km/h in around 8 seconds flat, and mid to high (15.6 - 15.7s) 1/4 mile. Regardless of how the XR8 felt, it was nearly half a second faster to 100km/h, and a tenth or two faster 1/4 mile. But that's not enough, in my opinion, to justify buying the XR8 over the XR6, especially if you're not after any big power outputs etc. During the 1990s, IMO, the XR6s had it all over the XR8s in the bang for bucks department.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 04:29 PM   #11
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
You reckon the 6 is that uneconomical that it's close to an 8 to run ?

Up until the later model 8's the 6's keep up a respectable fight against the 8's. The 6's are also cheaper to mod for decent gains.

However I know if petrol prices weren't an issue I'd gladly take swap my xr6 for an xr8.
My EF Ghia averaged 15.5L/100km when I owned it. My Gen3 and Boss 8's since average under 15L/100km. My XR8 is currently hovering around 14.6 and there's a lot more traffic I have to deal with since I got rid of my Ghia.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 04:32 PM   #12
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sure the I6 is almost as quick, uses alot less fuel, is pretty damn reliable (so I'm told, my EA has been nothing but trouble) and is cheap to mod. It still sounds like crap. I wouldn't trade the sound of a V8 (see link in sig) for anything in the world.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 05:43 PM   #13
riverrat321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the input guys. I'm gonna have to test drive a couple and work it out I think. Sounds like an El xr8 would be good but i'm a little concerned with petrol after having to fill up my car today. Let me know if anyone else has anything to add. Thanks...
riverrat321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 05:56 PM   #14
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Petrol hit $1.40 for Premium today in NZ :(
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 05:58 PM   #15
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
The EF XR6s were capable of 0-100km/h in around 8 seconds flat, and mid to high (15.6 - 15.7s) 1/4 mile. Regardless of how the XR8 felt, it was nearly half a second faster to 100km/h, and a tenth or two faster 1/4 mile.
No it was not Steffo, you have it *** about.
As I said above, ALL XR6's were quicker prior to ELII.
EF V8's were no exception, there were no significant changes from ED to EF, only inlet snorkel, and dual exhaust, neither of which actually made a noticable difference to performance.

Rick.
Old 13-07-2005, 08:21 PM   #16
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverrat321
I know this has brobably been asked before but it won't let me do the search. Anyway what do you guys think is the better car out of xr6 and xr8 from EB to EL11? Taking performance, reliability and maintance costs into concideration. Do the v8's have a lot more grunt? Thanks guys...
Get the series eleven EL, I've heard they are rare, but are so fast in either XR6 or 8 that no one has ever actually even seen one.

As per my sig below, I'm a fan of I6s (you can keep your V6s thanks Holden). My previous car was an EL Fairmont Ghia, which was basically an Xr6 engine, and that gave a very good account of itself.
BA_Turbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 09:14 PM   #17
YOOT
Banned

I think you mean series II or (2) - he ELII was marginally quicker simply because it received the 185kw motor and 3.45 diff gears which was enough to edge out the numbers game to a bees dick in front of the XR6. But have you seen a few thenths down the 1/4? Its not much, so little in fact that at the traffic lights you'd be convinced that the XR6 is still just as fast!

I found that out when I raced an AUII XR8 ute and I was still side by side at 80km and only 1m behind at 100kmh in me I6 ED (which is only 148kw vs 200kw). For the few tenths of a second difference I realised that it was all purely a ****. You need whole seconds between cars for there to be a difference worth crowing about!

If performance and bang for your buck is your thing than the XR6 is the winner, if your a name brand jocky and love bragging about how big your 'thing' is than the V8 is for you.

Sometimes the hardest thing to decide is not which model to buy but what type of person are you going to be most happy being in 5 years time when you still have the car.

PS - My best friend owns an AU Ghia V8 and it is the slowest Falcon I have ever driven! And it uses 18-20L of fuel every 100km, its is terrible! They only good thing about it is the noise. Spare parts are subject to the US dollar as well and are dear.
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 09:21 PM   #18
buickman
buickman

The windsor V8 has a lot of aftermart performance products.Its been around since the late 50's. If you decide to modify for serious power than the V8 is the way to go. Plus it sounds better.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 10:33 PM   #19
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOOT
I think you mean series II or (2) - he ELII was marginally quicker simply because it received the 185kw motor and 3.45 diff gears which was enough to edge out the numbers game to a bees dick in front of the XR6. But have you seen a few thenths down the 1/4? Its not much, so little in fact that at the traffic lights you'd be convinced that the XR6 is still just as fast!

I found that out when I raced an AUII XR8 ute and I was still side by side at 80km and only 1m behind at 100kmh in me I6 ED (which is only 148kw vs 200kw). For the few tenths of a second difference I realised that it was all purely a ****. You need whole seconds between cars for there to be a difference worth crowing about!

If performance and bang for your buck is your thing than the XR6 is the winner, if your a name brand jocky and love bragging about how big your 'thing' is than the V8 is for you.

Sometimes the hardest thing to decide is not which model to buy but what type of person are you going to be most happy being in 5 years time when you still have the car.

PS - My best friend owns an AU Ghia V8 and it is the slowest Falcon I have ever driven! And it uses 18-20L of fuel every 100km, its is terrible! They only good thing about it is the noise. Spare parts are subject to the US dollar as well and are dear.

Spoken like a true I6 zealot :

Well I bought an EL2, helped start a statewide XR club, drove a metric assload of various E-Series XR's in the course of things, and came away knowing I had made the right choice. Seat-of-pants-o-meter, envyous words from fellow XR associates, and the dyno reinforced my initial decision.
:party3:
Old 13-07-2005, 10:45 PM   #20
Psycho Chicken
Banned

If you want to leave it stock, XR6.

If you want to spend a little and gain a little bit of performance, XR6.

If you're planning biggish power (160 rwkw up), XR8.

Personally, I'd be looking for an EL II or an ED XR8 Sprint, in manual. Just can't beat the V8. Am I biased? Hell yes!
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 11:05 PM   #21
ef5l

well i havnt got an xr8 a futura (pretty much the same) I am so glad i bought an 8, reasons alot smother, you cant beat the sound, and you can put twin turbo's on them : its really what you preffer they use about the same in fuel same performance and both respond well to simple mods.
a mate had a elxr6 extractors full exhaust manual, cold air intake, mine was stock he would absolute kill me, i changed diff ratio extractors exhaust underdrive pulleys i would kill him.

Last edited by ef5l; 13-07-2005 at 11:11 PM.
ef5l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2005, 05:47 PM   #22
GTFORDMAN

EB/ED XR6 for me, cheap, easy to mod and reliable, and they look great when there dumped on there guts with either 17 or 18 inch alloys
GTFORDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2005, 11:01 PM   #23
YOOT
Banned

Stick a single turbo on the I6 and the weight falls back in teh XR6s favour again and for less money. LOL! But yes I am a man of precise measure. No use in wasting capacity that doesn't work in your favour.

I'd buy a BA XR8 purely for the sound and looks, but I would always want a Turbo as a backup for thrills and fast kills.
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2005, 11:49 PM   #24
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XR6 all the way...

Even though I dont have an XR6, for the amount of money i have spent on engine mods and the difference it has made its definitely worth it... yes, i do have 4.11 diff gears too which help, but my first gear is very tall, so its not has hard off the line as a manual EB xr6 with 3.9's...