Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 12-07-2005, 10:09 PM   #1
Supa R00
Rolling on Simmons...

Default Wade 1604 in... where to now?

Today the xr was treated to a new cam (wade 1604), crow valve springs and venier gear. As i kinda expected it didnt do a whole lot for me... first drive i took it for it was doughy and pretty lacklustre.
i got back reset the ECU and drove it round for a while and it is a fair bit better now but not much on my old XR. Bottom end and torque is better as expected but up top its so-so... much the same.

One thing for sure is the bottom end is a fair bit better. i did a test in 5th from 40kmh (900rpm) to a land mark and it got to 100kmh (2350) with the old cam. today with the new cam it pulled a 117kmh! but felt no faster by the seat of the pants.It has a very smooth power delivery and dosnt feel as fast as my old xr6 cam, which came on strong after 3000rpm. could it be that this cam is just smoother yet faster and i cant tell... :S LOL

The cam isnt dialed in yet properly and the vernier is set at 0 for the moment so their maybe a bit left but time will tell with fiddling on the dyno, but it feels down on power up top compared to my xr cam.
I must say though the cam was flawless, never hunted idle and purred like a pussy cat on startup. U couldnt tell that there was a different cam in there!!
SO.... what i ask is where to from now??? What is the best settings for this cam? Im going to dial it in and what not and see how it goes, but if it dosnt improve too much what do i go next?
I was thinking a 977B but does anyone else have other suggestions on cam profiles? Any help would be good! Thanks in advance, :eclipsee_

Shannon.

5Spd, Simmons FR17"s, SupaLow's, Sprint Bodykit,
Cam, exhaust and all that jazz... Complete AU XR6 conversion and soon to be turbo!
:voldar02:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
When has any XR6 after the ED, prior to the XR6T been anywhere near being a performance car, or much more of a car than a stock taxi spec Gli?
Supa R00 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2005, 10:16 PM   #2
TIKFD6
Number 5 is alive!

Dial it in before you make judgement Shan.

I dont think you will be disapointed.

"Experimental Racer" #6
1994 Gunmetal XG XR6 1997-1999
[B][COLOR=Red] 1994 Le Mans Red ED
2008 MA XR5 Mondeo

2015 VOLVO V60 T6 R-DESIGN-POLESTAR Enhanced

TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2005, 12:24 AM   #3
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

im running a 977b.... its pretty good midrange.. but its valve floating up top.. due to crappy worn out aftermarket dodgy weaker than a taxi valve springs
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2005, 09:33 PM   #4
saturnine_07

i put a 1604 in my eb II farimont about a month ago along with a au head gasket and a head that was reco'd, ported, multi angle valve seats rah rah rah, nothing drastic though cos im a povo uni student. the first drive i took my car on i was dissapointed in the low end urge - i had chosen the 1604 because i had heard that it would improve the bottom end - but it seemed that it had infact gotten worse (doesnt help with an auto and standard diff). Over the next few drives nothing changed.

but i can gladly say that after driving it around for a month and clocking up some decent k's it has improved dramatically. It now goes much harder from 2 grand and keeps going till it changes - doesn't taper off high in the rev range like it used to, but this is probably due to the porting right?...

So i would reserve my judgement for a while until everything sets in, as the performance of mine changed markedly over time as the k's went up. Ive been floggin the beejeezus out of it too and the economy hasn't changed that much.

gee'd id like some decent diff gears and a lsd tho.. anyway.

it would be interesting to see the details of the XR cam compared to the 1604... anyone with the goods????

Simon
saturnine_07 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2005, 10:35 PM   #5
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

the xr cam is a baby compared to the 1604.. which is a small cam any hows
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2005, 11:14 PM   #6
blwneb
come join me

Ye guys yopu have to let the cams wear in and the computer learn.
blwneb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2005, 11:19 PM   #7
Supa R00
Rolling on Simmons...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnine_07
i put a 1604 in my eb II farimont about a month ago along with a au head gasket and a head that was reco'd, ported, multi angle valve seats rah rah rah, nothing drastic though cos im a povo uni student. the first drive i took my car on i was dissapointed in the low end urge - i had chosen the 1604 because i had heard that it would improve the bottom end - but it seemed that it had infact gotten worse (doesnt help with an auto and standard diff). Over the next few drives nothing changed.

but i can gladly say that after driving it around for a month and clocking up some decent k's it has improved dramatically. It now goes much harder from 2 grand and keeps going till it changes - doesn't taper off high in the rev range like it used to, but this is probably due to the porting right?...

So i would reserve my judgement for a while until everything sets in, as the performance of mine changed markedly over time as the k's went up. Ive been floggin the beejeezus out of it too and the economy hasn't changed that much.

gee'd id like some decent diff gears and a lsd tho.. anyway.

it would be interesting to see the details of the XR cam compared to the 1604... anyone with the goods????

Simon

Thanks simon car is getting better its back to its old self, lets hope it can improve. it goes on the dyno tomoro and hopefully a lil bit of fiddling around... will keep yas posted!
5Spd, Simmons FR17"s, SupaLow's, Sprint Bodykit,
Cam, exhaust and all that jazz... Complete AU XR6 conversion and soon to be turbo!
:voldar02:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
When has any XR6 after the ED, prior to the XR6T been anywhere near being a performance car, or much more of a car than a stock taxi spec Gli?
Supa R00 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2005, 09:46 AM   #8
Gunns
Banned

saturnine_07 did you get the work done at flowcraft?
Gunns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2005, 10:00 AM   #9
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

If you have a tedious dyno operator,who is willing to spend the time to tune the cam you will be happy.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2005, 10:59 AM   #10
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blwneb
Ye guys yopu have to let the cams wear in and the computer learn.
Cams don't wear in, they only wear out.
The ECU's don't change a lot either, idle will improve, throttle response will improve, but WOT throttle won't change a lot.

The cam likely needs clocking up.

Rick.
Old 15-07-2005, 11:22 AM   #11
neb
hibernating

try putting the car into self test mode... for some reason this seems to get mine going better when i first change the cam.. maybe also advance the ignition timing a little
neb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2005, 11:48 PM   #12
saturnine_07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunns
saturnine_07 did you get the work done at flowcraft?
nah i didn't go to flowcraft. i had a bit of trouble finding/deciding on a workshop. not too many places are interested in i6's and most where rude and didn't bother to explain what they were going to do for my 700odd smackers..

I ended up going local with a blokes shop in berwick. place is called blackwell engines. for $650 i got:

- pressure test
- strip and clean
- Port intake and exhaust ports
- new valve stem seals
- 12 x K-line guides
- Multi angle vavle seats
- Radius exhaust seats
- Machine deck face
- Hot wash & assemble

Was a pretty neat job. I was keen on getting bigger exhaust valves but he said its not worth the money (an extra $200). I know alot of people here recommended that i get them... but im not going nuts on this car so i didn't bother. plus the 1604 aint a mammoth so i wouldn't think it was so important.

Simon
Old 15-07-2005, 11:51 PM   #13
saturnine_07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
Cams don't wear in, they only wear out.
The ECU's don't change a lot either, idle will improve, throttle response will improve, but WOT throttle won't change a lot.

The cam likely needs clocking up.

Rick.
In my case i think there was a difference over time because i had the car apart for around a month and because the head was off also. It makes sense to me that all those new surfaces and gaskets would have to "wear in".

Anyone else had this kind of experience? Cams getting better after a good run in?
Old 16-07-2005, 12:00 AM   #14
sphell
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

can you even get bigger exhaust valves for I6's???? I didn't think you could.
sphell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2005, 12:04 AM   #15
John_LS1

yep you can EF/EL XR heads run 41 mm compared to 39mm stock. all AU and hybrid EL's run 41 mm exhaust.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post