Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-11-2020, 03:54 AM   #1
Stubbie

Default Freight from US

Buying some FE engine parts from the US. Has anyone used a freight company to get them sent here. USPS seems pretty expensive.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2020, 07:14 AM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Freight from US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
Buying some FE engine parts from the US. Has anyone used a freight company to get them sent here. USPS seems pretty expensive.
We use DHL International and FedEx but we have accounts with both, if you're buying from Summit they usually give you freight options of a couple different freight options.

You'll probably find that USPS will be the cheapest (and slowest) option, you're probably going to get stiffed on freight because it's heavy stuff regardless.

Unless you can organize a freight pickup with your own account you'll be at the mercy of the seller.

Alternatively you can use a freight forwarder like shipito:

https://www.shipito.com/en/ship-to-a....google.com%2F

They send to this US address then they forward to you.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2020, 12:09 PM   #3
Stubbie

Thanks Franco. I've got an account with FedEx but last time I used them they were expensive. USPS $520 for heads alone. Coming from Lykins Motorsport.

Last edited by Stubbie; 17-11-2020 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Forgot some info
Old 17-11-2020, 12:43 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Thanks Franco. I've got an account with FedEx but last time I used them they were expensive. USPS $520 for heads alone. Coming from Lykins Motorsport.
Sea freight options? Might be easier and cheaper to whack it all on a skid/pallet and send it via sea, it'll take 90 days or there about to get to us though.

A 400kg pallet via air freight is big spondoolies.
Old 17-11-2020, 10:36 PM   #5
66FAIRLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hmmmm...heads from Brent. Trickflows?.....and yeh, ya gunna get sodomised any way you cut it.
66FAIRLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2020, 12:13 AM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

To put it into perspective Ive got 850KG across three pallets coming out of Spain via air freight at the moment at $12,000 AUD for work purposes.
Old 18-11-2020, 01:34 AM   #7
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

I have a MyUS account and it works well when I need it. https://www.myus.com/ Last shipment was 4 longer arm extensions for my Bendpak scissor lift; these: https://jmcautomotiveequipment.com/t...lift-set-of-2/ In August 2020. It cost me more than expected as JMC by mistake sent them as two separate parcels a week apart and I had already sent the first parcel on from MyUS in Florida by the time the second parcel arrived at from NYC at my MyUS Sarasota Florida address. Only took a couple of weeks to get them here and both parcels the came to Oz on the same plane. Not bad given the Pandemic in Florida. MyUS has a freight calculator on their site here https://www.myus.com/pricing/#cf-shi...culator-widget if you have the imperial US weight and dimensions. You can also choose who they are shipped with. You save if you get multiple purchased shipped to MyUS and then ship them on to Oz as one parcel once they have all arrived at your MyUS address. Just check shipping restrictions; last time I got caught out was trying to ship a defibrillator with a battery; airlines don't ship things with batteries in them so that had to sent sans battery; still saved heap over the St Johns OZ price but I should have got the hint when I saw ebay USA were listing them with and without batteries.

I think I first started using MyUS about 25 years ago when my kids were playing ice and roller hockey and I needed to regularly by sport equipment from the US for them. But I had also been buying tools and car bits from place like Eastwood Tools, Harbor Freight, JC Whitney and Summit Racing using catalogues rather than the Internet before (from the 1970's mainly out of ads in USA published Hot Rod Magazines) then so it may have been earlier.

It used to be in those days, that because of the bulk buying discount big US retailers got, and the multi levels distribution systems in OZ (the retailers rarely it seemed bought, or were able to buy, direct from the actual manufacturers) you could buy Australian made tools made by the likes of Repco/ACL, ABW/Private Brand Tools and Litchfield Tools and ship them back to Oz cheaper than you could buy them here; now there are virtually no Oz or for that matter US made tools and Chinese stuff is nearly as cheap here as it is in the US. Ebay and Amazon have also improved considerably with many US and UK suppliers listed so I no longer have to use MyUS so much anyway.

Last edited by aussiblue; 18-11-2020 at 02:01 AM.
aussiblue is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2020, 02:14 AM   #8
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

The other reason for using MyUs originally than some US companies (e.g. Bauer and Nike) prohibited sales of there products from North America direct to Australia consumers notionally to protect their Australian retailers businesses but I think also so they could continue to dump last years outmoded models skates on the Australasian market. I wrote a few letters to Trade Commissioners and the ACCC etc about this issue at the time with no success. In any event, as far as the North American retailer were concerned sending stuff to my MyUS address was sending to someone in Florida.

Many US or Canadian companies now ship bulk monthly or weekly shipments to MyUS in Sarasota Florida and offer free or heavily discounted shipping to any MyUS address. Some of the stores listed here: https://shopping.myus.com/stores/
Old 25-11-2020, 01:13 PM   #9
Stubbie

Thanks, found a couple of places that look to be about 40% lower than the usual price. I'll give them a go and report back. 66Fairlane, yes it's gonna hurt which ever way, just trying to lessen the pain. Starting to realize what FE stands for. F#$%@^# Expensive.