Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-02-2019, 01:12 PM   #1
kellyvb

Thumbs down Ford Recall- TCM AND CLUTCH

Hey guys, apologies this topic has probably been done to death.
I’m new here, I thought I might be able to gather my own information from here.

I have a 2013 Ford Focus titanium with the dreaded transmission issue.

My car went in for assessment this morning at my local ford service centre and they confirmed it needs a new clutch and engine mount from the shuddering but when I mentioned the TCM he didn’t really know what I was talking about.

The car has shuddered like crazy on acceleration and on hills.
Also sometimes it doesn’t recognise reverse, you accelerate and it goes no where and it doesn’t recognise sports gear. From what I’ve heard it can be quite dangerous because some cars have suddenly slowed down on freeways, won’t move at lights etc.

I’ve been given a case manager at ford, which is a nightmare, communication is non existent. She was meant to contact the service centre before the car was taken there and I found out this morning she hasn’t been in touch with them.

I’m wondering what other people’s experiences have been in this situation, I’m wanting a refund or replacement vehicle .

Any recommendations on how to handle this?

Thank you!
kellyvb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2019, 01:27 PM   #2
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: Ford Recall- TCM AND CLUTCH

I cant offer much help with the problem you're having with Ford but i will ask is it insured, because if it is, i'd burn it.

Ford will only patch it up temporarliy, its a design fault which will appear again soon enough and the resale on them is almost non existant due to the coverage and bad rep its received over the class action owners have brought against them.

Its a bloody shame as other than that they're a great car.

Good luck.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2019, 01:31 PM   #3
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I cant offer much help with the problem you're having with Ford but i will ask is it insured, because if it is, i'd burn it.

Ford will only patch it up temporarliy, its a design fault which will appear again soon enough and the resale on them is almost non existant due to the coverage and bad rep its received over the class action owners have brought against them.

Its a bloody shame as other than that they're a great car.

Good luck.
What an incredibly dumb thing to say.

To OP follow it through with Ford's CRC. They have a process in place where they will look after you with a replacement vehicle or compensation.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-02-2019, 01:39 PM   #4
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
What an incredibly dumb thing to say.

To OP follow it through with Ford's CRC. They have a process in place where they will look after you with a replacement vehicle or compensation.
Rubbish, they'll follow it through, replace the clutch pack, reprogram the TCM and as with every other one it'll be back to square one in no time.
They dont have a class action against them over it for nothing.
The OP has already been given a case manager which they've said is a nightmare and that case manager has already dropped the ball, considering the number of complaints over these cars you'd think they would have a dedicated team dealing with powershift complaints.

But you work for Ford and they do no wrong hey.

We just bought a 2014 manual and the Dealer we bought it from said straight out that the problems with them are ongoing to the point where they wont even entertain the idea of trading or stocking them as they cant move them and dont want the ongoing hassles and damage to future business.

Theres a reason you can pick up a 4yr old car with 60k's and full dealer history for less than half its original price, i know, i did, what do you think they gave for it if they could sell it for 9k.

Last edited by BENT_8; 04-02-2019 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:10 PM   #5
kellyvb

Quote:
Rubbish, they'll follow it through, replace the clutch pack, reprogram the TCM and as with every other one it'll be back to square one in no time.
They dont have a class action against them over it for nothing.
The OP has already been given a case manager which they've said is a nightmare and that case manager has already dropped the ball, considering the number of complaints over these cars you'd think they would have a dedicated team dealing with powershift complaints.

But you work for Ford and they do no wrong hey.

We just bought a 2014 manual and the Dealer we bought it from said straight out that the problems with them are ongoing to the point where they wont even entertain the idea of trading or stocking them as they cant move them and dont want the ongoing hassles and damage to future business.

Theres a reason you can pick up a 4yr old car with 60k's and full dealer history for less than half its original price, i know, i did, what do you think they gave for it if they could sell it for 9k.

I bought this car a year and a half ago for 16,000 and I had no idea about all this crap that’s going on with them.
When you first speak to the case manager they ask what the resolution is you want and I said I wanted it repaired, now since I’ve done a ton load of research to find there’s not one person who hasn’t had to continuously have the TCM and clutch replaced, I’ve just told her I either want a refund or replacement vehicle.

I’m in a group on FB specifically for people with these cars and most have been lucky enough to get a new 2019 Focus or a refund. So I can only cross my fingers.

I don’t see how someone can spend $16,000 on a car, then find out there’s a recall and it’s going to continue having the same issues if repaired because it’s a defect from the maker, and not get compensated for it. This must be why they were fined $10 mil, you can’t knowingly keep replacing something with the same faulty defected part.

This has just been a nightmare, I know the bare minimum about cars which makes it harder.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:26 PM   #6
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyvb View Post
I bought this car a year and a half ago for 16,000 and I had no idea about all this crap that’s going on with them.
When you first speak to the case manager they ask what the resolution is you want and I said I wanted it repaired, now since I’ve done a ton load of research to find there’s not one person who hasn’t had to continuously have the TCM and clutch replaced, I’ve just told her I either want a refund or replacement vehicle.

I’m in a group on FB specifically for people with these cars and most have been lucky enough to get a new 2019 Focus or a refund. So I can only cross my fingers.

I don’t see how someone can spend $16,000 on a car, then find out there’s a recall and it’s going to continue having the same issues if repaired because it’s a defect from the maker, and not get compensated for it. This must be why they were fined $10 mil, you can’t knowingly keep replacing something with the same faulty defected part.

This has just been a nightmare, I know the bare minimum about cars which makes it harder.
Yes, i feel for you and let me say that my initial sentence above about insurance and burning it was tongue in cheek as i dont expect thats what you would do although im sure it has brought many an owner to that point, but im sure you got that.
Bossxr8 has an axe to grind with me because i dont love Ford the way he does so he likes to have a dig where he can, unfortunate he'd choose your thread rather than see what i said for what it was, but i digress.

As i said, good luck.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:27 PM   #7
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

The thread you need a lot of reading
https://fordforums.com.au/showthread...ighlight=focus
and another
https://fordforums.com.au/showthread...ighlight=focus

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2019, 02:58 PM   #8
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The best thing Ford AUS did was to switch Focus to a genuine auto trans in 2015,
that's little comfort to older Focus owners I know but at least they limited the ongoing
damage to reputation...now if only they would expedite repairs to the pre-2015s...

Us customers aren't so lucky with Ford selling Focus 7,359 with Powershifts in January
even though production has ended and Ranger is being built in its place....

Last edited by jpd80; 04-02-2019 at 03:06 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2019, 03:12 PM   #9
kellyvb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan View Post

Thank you!!!
Old 04-02-2019, 03:14 PM   #10
kellyvb

Quote:
Yes, i feel for you and let me say that my initial sentence above about insurance and burning it was tongue in cheek as i dont expect thats what you would do although im sure it has brought many an owner to that point, but im sure you got that.
Bossxr8 has an axe to grind with me because i dont love Ford the way he does so he likes to have a dig where he can, unfortunate he'd choose your thread rather than see what i said for what it was, but i digress.

As i said, good luck.

Haha not to worry, I haven’t gone out and set it on fire, I’m not that silly
But yes that’s about all they’re good for... Providing some heat while it burns.
Hopefully the newer 2019 ones are much better, I’ve seen a few people getting there’s replaced with the 2019.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:17 PM   #11
kellyvb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
The best thing Ford AUS did was to switch Focus to a genuine auto trans in 2015,
that's little comfort to older Focus owners I know but at least they limited the ongoing
damage to reputation...now if only they would expedite repairs to the pre-2015s...

Us customers aren't so lucky with Ford selling Focus 7,359 with Powershifts in January
even though production has ended and Ranger is being built in its place....

So they are still selling the dodgy cars that have the powershift ?
They may as well send them all to scrap
Old 04-02-2019, 03:25 PM   #12
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
So they are still selling the dodgy cars that have the powershift ?
They may as well send them all to scrap
Ford heads were saying about 12,000 left in inventory going into December but big Jan sales
suggests that dealers might be quick saling them because of 2018 Year Model thing...

After 2016, the later USA Focus Powershifts seem to have settled down quite well but my contact,
a Ford service tech there feels they have only delayed the onset of problems to clear warranty.
There are owners in the US reporting no problems with nearly 80,000 miles on the clock
with later versions of the Powershift. So maybe there's a fix that staves off problems for longer..
Old 04-02-2019, 04:26 PM   #13
kellyvb

Can I just ask seeming I know nothing about cars, how long should these clutches last normally before needing to be replaced ?

And the TCM
Old 04-02-2019, 04:47 PM   #14
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Can I just ask seeming I know nothing about cars, how long should these clutches last normally before needing to be replaced ?

And the TCM
They shouldn't need to be replaced at all.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2019, 04:49 PM   #15
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talk to owners on the forums mentioned above, that will give you more real world
background on what those people expect but for me, I'd want the thing to last at
least 130,000 km, so the fix should last long enough in the future that it's never
again your problem, even well after you've sold it..
Old 04-02-2019, 06:19 PM   #16
kellyvb

Thank you...

Also can a faulty TCM ruin or drain your battery?
Old 04-02-2019, 06:55 PM   #17
DMXR6T

Had 2 x Focus and 2 x Fiesta with Powershift as company cars. One Focus 7 years old & 70,000 KM and no problems. One Focus has recently had the clutches replaced after 4 years and all good so far. One Fiesta no problems at 5 years and 80,000 KM and now sold. One had the transmission computer failed and replaced after 4 years but otherwise no problems.

Important not to hold these cars on a hill using the transmission as it slips the clutches - use the brake.
DMXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2019, 07:42 PM   #18
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Hey guys, apologies this topic has probably been done to death.
I’m new here, I thought I might be able to gather my own information from here.

I have a 2013 Ford Focus titanium with the dreaded transmission issue.

My car went in for assessment this morning at my local ford service centre and they confirmed it needs a new clutch and engine mount from the shuddering but when I mentioned the TCM he didn’t really know what I was talking about.

The car has shuddered like crazy on acceleration and on hills.
Also sometimes it doesn’t recognise reverse, you accelerate and it goes no where and it doesn’t recognise sports gear. From what I’ve heard it can be quite dangerous because some cars have suddenly slowed down on freeways, won’t move at lights etc.

I’ve been given a case manager at ford, which is a nightmare, communication is non existent. She was meant to contact the service centre before the car was taken there and I found out this morning she hasn’t been in touch with them.

I’m wondering what other people’s experiences have been in this situation, I’m wanting a refund or replacement vehicle .

Any recommendations on how to handle this?

Thank you!

I don't see a recall notice:

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/sit...t_by=Relevance

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2019, 07:54 PM   #19
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

When they fix the trans, ask them how long they'll warrant the fix.

I thought i remember reading that it had a 5yr warranty for the fix.

Anyways, there is a class action going, i think. You could ask them a few questions too.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2019, 08:34 PM   #20
kellyvb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post

Well there definitely is, hence they’ve been fined $10,000,000
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 378DC9F1-1FCB-43F1-8861-221F8B9D22EA.jpg (85.2 KB, 20 views)
Old 04-02-2019, 08:50 PM   #21
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Well there definitely is, hence they’ve been fined $10,000,000

Looks like the TCM and CLUTCH are both under extended warranty.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2019, 09:00 PM   #22
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey Kelly vb
We have a fiesta 2012 with powershift. 2 years ago they put a ceramic clutch in it.Its been fine since.
And yes there is an extended warranty I,d have to find it 7 years or 160,000 kms.

Put it into the ford dealer and it will get fixed up, you must not be the original owner and didn't get the communication from Ford.

Yes powershift equipped Fords are worth sfa now but ours drives okay we trust it and wifey is happy to just hang onto it. Ford will look after you.... well until 2020!
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2019, 09:02 PM   #23
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The TCM stuff was in the early days of fixing powershift.
according to my local Ford dealer the ceramic clutches have gone ok.
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2019, 09:57 PM   #24
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do not under any circumstances allow them to fix it. Open a case with Ford CRC and go from there. If they replace it, they will close your case or not even open one as it’s deemed repaired and case closed. It cannot be repaired, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

They are going to muck you around like no one has before. Don’t let them, and hopefully you have a good dealer as from personal experience that will help a lot.

Good luck.
Adamz Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2019, 12:35 AM   #25
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Serious question, what happens with the cars that Ford 'buy' back?
Old 05-02-2019, 12:50 AM   #26
kellyvb

Quote:
Serious question, what happens with the cars that Ford 'buy' back?

They get sold on, it must be criminal!!!!
Old 05-02-2019, 12:51 AM   #27
kellyvb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Looks like the TCM and CLUTCH are both under extended warranty.
Yep they are, but the problem is once they’re repaired it just happens again and again and again..... there’s people who’ve had the clutch replaced 7 times upwards!
Old 05-02-2019, 01:00 AM   #28
kellyvb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
The TCM stuff was in the early days of fixing powershift.
according to my local Ford dealer the ceramic clutches have gone ok.

I’ve heard absolutely nothing about ceramic clutches, the bucket loads of people in the private fb group who are currently going through cases with ford have had theirs changed numerous times and it just keeps happening.

I have a 2013 ford titanium and it’s only done 55,000kms and is doing bugger all in my possession and it already needs a new clutch, new engine mount because of the shuddering and a new TCM, god knows what it had done before me, it’s a joke.

And you can’t re sell them now because they’re worth bugger all because everyone knows about it.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:03 AM   #29
kellyvb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Do not under any circumstances allow them to fix it. Open a case with Ford CRC and go from there. If they replace it, they will close your case or not even open one as it’s deemed repaired and case closed. It cannot be repaired, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

They are going to muck you around like no one has before. Don’t let them, and hopefully you have a good dealer as from personal experience that will help a lot.

Good luck.

I currently have a case open, and I’m prepared to fight tooth and nail...

My case worker said to me today the repair of the vehicle won’t effect my current application for a resolution with refund or replacement .... I really don’t know what to do anymore, but I will threaten lawyers if I have to because we’ve nearly been taken out by a truck with our child in the car because the car wouldn’t accelerate. It really is a safety issue.

My dealership seems to be useless which isn’t helping
Old 13-05-2022, 08:59 PM   #30
Focus13Titanium
Starter Motor

Hey Kellyvb,

Apologies if this topic has done your head in but I have the exact same issue. I've also got the exact same vehicle, I'm pretty sure. Ford Focus Titanium tdci 2.0ltr dual clutch automatic transmission. Car went through the same issues if jerking and shuddering and now apparently my clutch is worn and needs replacing and my TCM is faulty causing over a dozen code errors. With everything I've read and found online, did you end up finding out if the warranty extension for the TCM and clutch was also included for our model? After calling Ford Australia, they checked my VIN and reckon that my car wasn't supplied with the extended warranty for the TCM and clutch and now they expect me to be liable for the $3600 bill. Was hoping to find out more from you and ask if you ended up finding someone willing to help you resolve your issue? And if you've come across anyone who's actually been given a newer model with the powershift rather than actually replacing the TCM and clutch? I've heard it can sometimes take Ford up to 6 months to get the TCM in! And after replacing the parts, apparently it'll eventually just end up having the same issue. I'm going to post my own thread and see what kind of feedback I'll get from other members but thought I'd touch base with you and see if you ended up resolving your issue? And also, I believe you mentioned having bought your car for $16k. My question is, when you bought the car, was everything fine at that time after getting the car second hand? And if you did get Ford to resolve your issue, was it still within the 5yr warranty period or passed that? Hopefully I can get some useful and productive input on this forum (I only just registered after reading your post/thread). I just want my car driving normally!
Focus13Titanium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post