Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-04-2016, 08:29 PM   #1
carwant.com.au
carwant.com.au

Default VW Will Pay U.S. TDI Owners $5,000 Each to Compensate for Emissions Cheating

Will this also be available for Australia consumers?

VW Will Pay U.S. TDI Owners $5,000 Each to Compensate for Emissions Cheating

After months of deliberations, it's said that Volkswagen and the U.S. government have finally come to an agreement over how VW will compensate American customers affected by the ongoing diesel emissions scandal. German newspaper Die Welt reported Wednesday that VW will pay affected U.S. customers $5000 each, per a Reuters report.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...ar-settlement/
carwant.com.au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2016, 09:36 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: VW Will Pay U.S. TDI Owners $5,000 Each to Compensate for Emissions Cheating

I wonder what happens to the payment when a car has changed hands? Thousands of these cars would be traded on the used car market on a monthly basis in the US.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2016, 09:39 PM   #3
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Default Re: VW Will Pay U.S. TDI Owners $5,000 Each to Compensate for Emissions Cheating

Vin will be recorded to make sure no car gets paid again.
I think the emissions were falsified on my eb ghia,wheres my 5g ford??
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-04-2016, 09:52 PM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINKY NINJA View Post
Vin will be recorded to make sure no car gets paid again.
I think the emissions were falsified on my eb ghia,wheres my 5g ford??
I'm not referring to people getting paid twice.

Just say you bought the car new and sold it 2 weeks ago - just prior to the $5k announcement.

Who should get the money?

They will probably need to make a formula based on ownership before a certain date.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2016, 09:55 PM   #5
lgpking22

fat chance of us getting anything the government is **** weak
lgpking22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2016, 10:46 PM   #6
katefactor

You would think the payment would go to the last owner prior to VW getting busted publicly but what a logistical nightmare that would be

Current Rides
2013 PX Ranger, GT F, Patrol F/Tray
Previous
XB GS Panel Van ( first Car), XA GT Coupe, XA GT sedan, XA superbird coupe, XY GT, XB GT sedan, A9X Sedan (should have kept that one)
katefactor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2016, 02:37 AM   #7
Phildo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent work on the BF Brake information. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Photo Essay - Centre Console Disassembly 

Car dealerships with a bunch of secondhand VWs oughta be pretty pleased about it...
Read about it all at Cabloid, the web site that has stories and photos about my life driving a taxi at night.
www.cabloid.com.au
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2016, 09:27 AM   #8
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What the hell do owners get 1cent as it's got nothing to do with them at all !

The owners were saving fuel and getting better performance.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2016, 09:47 AM   #9
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

VW Aust. paying owners for anything

Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-04-2016, 10:18 AM   #10
BFGasUte
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan View Post
What the hell do owners get 1cent as it's got nothing to do with them at all !

The owners were saving fuel and getting better performance.
Hello,

The resale value will have dropped, and operating Costs will rise with less performance after the fix.
BFGasUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2016, 05:22 AM   #11
Myluckyday

Well, we didn't buy their (German) Subs, so I doubt that any money will be flowing back to Aussie VW owners.
Myluckyday is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2016, 09:14 AM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The VW group is the Fourth Reich, their cars are horrible to work on and they're a cheating untrustworthy pack of ****s.

Premium pricing for an unreliable crap product where parts cost the earth.

Hitlers revenge.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2016, 10:16 AM   #13
BFGasUte
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
The VW group is the Fourth Reich, their cars are horrible to work on and they're a cheating untrustworthy pack of ****s.

Premium pricing for an unreliable crap product where parts cost the earth.

Hitlers revenge.
Hello,

My thoughts exactly. There are Web sites in the US listing problems people have had, most bought another brand and no more problems. The local dealers are hopeless, I had one as a work Car. Pile of rubbish. Service to match. http://www.cars-that-suck.com/ Have a read through here.

Last edited by BFGasUte; 28-04-2016 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Add link.
Old 28-04-2016, 10:31 AM   #14
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFGasUte View Post
Hello,

My thoughts exactly. There are Web sites in the US listing problems people have had, most bought another brand and no more problems. The local dealers are hopeless, I had one as a work Car. Pile of rubbish. Service to match. http://www.cars-that-suck.com/ Have a read through here.
Ive had a few roll through my workshop with the usual problems, for example, 2003 VW Golf requiring replacement door lock mechanism on driver side rear door.

Whole inside panel with speaker is one unit, the rods which move the lock assembly have adjustable weights on them.

Replacement assembly is $1100 just for assembly, then we have to pull the old one out and new one in.

2003 BA Falcon door lock assembly is around $275 last time I did one.

We generally wont work on VW cars anymore because the parts prices are crazy and there are always issues with customers about the bill because 'its only a door lock'.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2016, 10:43 AM   #15
BFGasUte
Banned

Hello,

The quote I used is almost the same as I used to say where we had VW's ! My Falcon has an air bag in front of me, VW a petrol tank. German engineering ! ( I am making a point, I do know why )
Old 28-04-2016, 11:32 AM   #16
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Hello,

The quote I used is almost the same as I used to say where we had VW's ! My Falcon has an air bag in front of me, VW a petrol tank. German engineering ! ( I am making a point, I do know why )
And the last VW to have a Fuel tank in the front was ?
Old 28-04-2016, 12:16 PM   #17
BFGasUte
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
And the last VW to have a Fuel tank in the front was ?
Hello,

I dont know. This is a Ford site, and I have never owned a VW, nor would I. I have seen them in Beetles, and heard stories from a bloke who was a Fiery and saw 1st hand a Woman who died / was burnt in one when the tank went up. An Aussie made Falcon may have flaws, but never the Petrol tank in front of the driver.
Old 28-04-2016, 12:58 PM   #18
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hello,

The resale value will have dropped, and operating Costs will rise with less performance after the fix.
The resale has nothing to do with it at all.

To bad she is now up to date after the fix.

People are going to have a hell of a time keeping any new car up to date with the emissions of the latest madness, they have gone too far that it's just become a madness now.

The emission test is only conducted under the parameters of the test, but in the real world of driving one may go beyond them parameters anyway, so it's only the letter of the law we are on about, not truly about the fact of reality so much.

If we were to test every car every year to make sure they are meeting the law, we would have the expense of a Dyno and all the other that goes with it, the cost of such would be madness.

They only found out this emission problem due to one place having such tec too carry out what they found out, I don't think there are many places that could conduct such a testing.

All the ranting that has gone on with the media about all this is just madness, making such a big deal about bugger all.
Old 28-04-2016, 01:06 PM   #19
mick74GT

Quote:
Hello,

I dont know. This is a Ford site, and I have never owned a VW, nor would I. I have seen them in Beetles, and heard stories from a bloke who was a Fiery and saw 1st hand a Woman who died / was burnt in one when the tank went up. An Aussie made Falcon may have flaws, but never the Petrol tank in front of the driver.
hey mate,

Look all I can say is my wife has a VW Golf GTD 2010 model, done 170ks, and all we've ever had to do is service it and put a new battery and two new sets of tyres.

it drives like a new car and to be honest the build quality is far better than any Ford, Holden, or HSV ive ever owned.

Just my experiences for what its worth
E3 Maloo Black Edition
VW Golf GTD - Wifes Weapon
mick74GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2016, 01:16 PM   #20
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Hello,

My point was that you were comparing a 1960/70's Beetle with a modern Falcon with air bags.
They didn't have airbags back then, silly comparison.
Old 28-04-2016, 01:59 PM   #21
BFGasUte
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
They didn't have airbags back then, silly comparison.
Hello,

The last Beetle produced was in 2003 in Mexico. Falcon has had them standard since 1994. Nearly 10 years earlier.
Old 28-04-2016, 02:03 PM   #22
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I don't get this compensation - does anyone really think the owners care? Their car works the same now as it did before anyone knew about the trick. It just happens to pollute more than they though - big deal! Drive a V8 and anything looks cleaner....
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2016, 10:14 AM   #23
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Dieselgate: VW says Australian owners won’t get compensation because no local laws were broken

29 Apri, 2016

Joshua Dowling
National Motoring Editor
News Corp Australia Network

Volkswagen says models such as the Amarok ute did not breach local laws, even though it was equipped with software that could cheat emissions standards. Picture: Supplied.

VOLKSWAGEN believes Australian customers are not eligible for compensation in the “dieselgate” scandal because no local laws have been breached — even though it admits 100,000 cars sold here and 11 million sold worldwide had software that can cheat emissions tests.

The German car maker is back in Federal Court in Sydney today after being accused of failing to provide key information about its diesel emissions “cheat” software to the law firm leading an Open Class Action in Australia.

In the initial court hearing in December, Judge Foster ordered Volkswagen to explain in detail the “emissions defeat device”.

But law firm Maurice Blackburn says the material supplied in March was insufficient and a phone conference with Volkswagen experts in Germany was cancelled by the car maker at the last minute.

“Volkswagen’s statements of contrition and remorse and promises of transparency are at odds with the steps they are taking in resolving this matter,” said Jason Geisker, principal at Maurice Blackburn Lawyers.

Only a fraction of Volkswagen Amarok utes have had their diesel emissions recall work completed. Picture: Supplied.

The managing director of Volkswagen Australia, Michael Bartsch, said the company has not breached any local laws.

“There are no regulations in Australia or anywhere in the world that requires us to meet real-world driving emissions tests,” said Mr Bartsch.

“The reality is that no manufacturer is required to provide emissions data based on real-world driving performance.”

When asked about the delay in providing more information to the law firm representing Australian customers, Mr Bartsch said Volkswagen has been “as open and transparent as possible (but) we’re heavily reliant on timing and information flow from Germany.”

Mr Geisker said “whether the cars passed or failed Australian regulations, Volkswagen has still misled consumers”.

The court case continues as only a fraction of Australian owners have had their cars fixed, and none have received compensation even though US customers were given $1000 as an “initial goodwill gesture”.

Volkswagen is in trouble because exhaust emissions are much lower in lab conditions versus real world driving. Picture: AFP / Josh Edelson

To date, about 1500 of the 8000 Amarok utes affected locally have had their emissions recall work done, while no fix has been set for the balance of more than 90,000 vehicles in Australia.

Volkswagen says the Amarok ute did not breach local standards when launched in 2011 — even when equipped with the cheating software — because the vehicle’s emissions were well below Australian regulations at the time.

However, Volkswagen did not say by how much emissions increased when the Amarok “cheat mode” was activated in normal driving conditions, rather than in a test lab environment.

To meet increasingly stringent emissions standards, Volkswagen developed software that enabled its cars to pass emissions tests in lab conditions, but they belched out more fumes when driven on the road.

Mr Geisker said: “We find it remarkable that seven months after the scandal has broken that Volkswagen are still saying to consumers they only needed to meet emissions tests in the laboratory and not under ordinary driving conditions”.

The lawyer said the regulations require vehicles to “operate in the same way in testing conditions as on the road”.

This reporter is on Twitter: @JoshuaDowling

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/tec...story-comments
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2016, 02:57 PM   #24
Bossxr8
Peter Car

It's amazing that VW are being totally transparent and doing everything they can in Europe and the US, but doing the exact opposite here and denying any problem exists. Poor form.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2016, 03:26 PM   #25
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
It's amazing that VW are being totally transparent and doing everything they can in Europe and the US, but doing the exact opposite here and denying any problem exists. Poor form.
well they are being transparent in Europe and US because they got heir hands caught in the cookie jar, and Europe and US is where they sell a lot of cars , but Australia is just a back water , and who really gives a toss about shirking their responsibility or a bit of bad publicity on the other side of the planet that in the scheme of things sells bugger all cars anyway.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2016, 03:29 PM   #26
BFGasUte
Banned

Hello,

I think there is no Government pressure here, and they know they can get away with it. At one stage there was a 2016 compliance sales ban in the US, so they couldn't sell new Cars there. I would not be sad if they went bust, but jobs would be lost and people who bought Cars would have more issues to keep them running until they can buy something better, such as a Chinese Car. The rep. will still have an impact on resale value, other Car makers made their Cars comply VW didnt. They deserve all they get.
Old 29-04-2016, 08:44 PM   #27
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
The cars passed our ADR law !

If we had the same level of emission law as Europe all new petrol cars would have to run on 95 octane or 98 to comply.
I don't think NZ is as strict as our ADR laws are because they don't need such a law.
Sydney needs strict ADR emission laws and Melbourne would be the next big Australian city that truly needs to be serious about such laws, but the rest of Australia does not need to be as serious because they are not all that bad, Sydney and Melbourne air pollution is shocking they stink I hate being down their, it must take a few months to get accustomed to the stench as the locals can't smell it.
Old 29-04-2016, 09:53 PM   #28
lgpking22

shows how **** weak our government is god i hate those ****ers
Old 29-04-2016, 11:44 PM   #29
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgpking22 View Post
shows how **** weak our government is god i hate those ****ers
Our Government has done nothing wrong in this case at all and VW don't have anything to answer for, as the thing passes our ADR Law no worries at all.

There is nothing to complain about as the bloody thing is clean running and it far from being called bad in reality and people are just stupid to say it is not a clean emitting.
The only thing is it just did not come up to the latest strict new madness of standards.

If anyone is up in arms about such, you should take every car and truck off the road that's been built before 2014 to feel better about such and make sure no one drives a new Falcon running on 91 octane, E10 or 95 plus fuel is a must do.
Old 29-04-2016, 11:49 PM   #30
lgpking22

I think you need to get of the drink if i buy a car and they claim some bull**** mileage it gets i want it to ******* get that i dont order a cheese pizza and just take it up the **** when it comes with no cheese like the description claims so why the **** would you with a car.