Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-07-2014, 11:45 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation WA New Speeding Penalties...

http://www.ors.wa.gov.au/Road-Safety...enalty-Changes

And they start on the Queens Birthday weekend!!! why does that not suprise me !!!

Old 03-07-2014, 12:04 PM   #2
NEEDspeed

Default Re: WA New Speeding Penalties...

Typical. Joe Bloggs who would not ordinarily see these changes is now going to be slogged in some cases 200% or more for the fine and yet most demerit points are staying put.
Are they really fooling anyone about their money?

Blueprint 2003 XR6. Forged internals 10.8cr engine.
NEEDspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

I still don't think the fine for using a mobile fine is sufficient and that in addition to increasing that to $400, they should have also imposed a phone seizure and destruction penalty. It is more dangerous than mild hooning and at least should attract a similar penalty.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #4
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

This country is such a frkn joke now.
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2014, 01:13 PM   #5
Nova 8

No demerit points for 1-9km over, that's pretty cool. As I've said in other threads loss of demerits points is what stops me from speeding and not so much the money involved.

Either way it won't be long until the minimum sentence for exceeding the speed limit by 1km will be higher then what you get for murder.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #6
Itsme
Experienced Member

I think the obscuring number plate was a good one $1200 fine
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2014, 01:23 PM   #7
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

some of the sa fines for the same things are nearly double
consider yourselves lucky over there
lol
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-07-2014, 03:50 PM   #8
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Still cheaper than my one fine years ago $1700 :(

Mods to Date
Ceramic Coated Pacemaker 4495s
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
Eaton True Trac with 3.9s
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

RWKW: 200.0
Nm: 394

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
tut0r is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2014, 10:43 PM   #9
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Queensland...up to 10km over $160 and 3 demerit points...!!!!
Old 03-07-2014, 11:04 PM   #10
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

At least our local plod is heading in the right direction... Drug driving

http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/st...riving/?cs=148
Old 04-07-2014, 12:09 AM   #11
Ruination

Quote:
Following too closely
Most rear end collisions are caused by drivers following too closely behind the vehicle travelling in front of them. Maintaining a safe following distance gives drivers sufficient time to react to emergency situations
So almost everyone in Perth should be fined.
BECAUSE THEY DRIVE TOO DAMN SLOW!

Honestly, I am sick to death of doing 20km/h or more below the speed limit in most places. Regardless of traffic.
People drive down Thomas Road in Oakford/Casuarina at 60, when it is a 90 zone.

So damn frustrating.
Ruination is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-07-2014, 12:23 AM   #12
zilo
BANNED

Guess I'll have to take the GhostPlates off when in WA now...
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2014, 12:27 AM   #13
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Queensland...up to 10km over $160 and 3 demerit points...!!!!
What a ******* joke.

At least this WA one is getting serious on unsafe overtaking. Cant believe how much of a minor fine it previously was.
But if overall more people obey the rules, they will have to increase the fines even more to keep the revenue rolling.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2014, 12:55 AM   #14
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Imagine having to pay a 10% levy on top of the fine.

Come to SA and deal with our fine structure, where we pay a "victim of crime levy" on top of the fines, which, on the whole, are a lot higher to start with, even though the only "victim" in most traffic offences is the poor bugger getting the fine, then you might appreciate how good you still have it.

If you're a little confused as to what the levy is about, I'll explain. It was introduced to supposedly cover the cost of compensation paid out to victims of violent crimes yet it was imposed across the board to not only cost the crims that perpetrate said crimes but anyone and everyone who steps out of line for any reason including the multitude of victimless crimes out there. If you get done for littering, the fine will include the levy the same as if you get done for glassing someone in a pub. similarly, if you get pinged for failing to indicate, or god forbid, be going 5kph over the posted limit, you pay the levy. It's just another example of revenue raising by bastardising an otherwise good idea to make the violent and hard core criminal element pay for their actions.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2014, 01:00 AM   #15
furiousgibbon

How about some mandatory driver training? Oh I forgot, we all know how to 'find the address' right?

A driver who has a poor understanding of the braking or handling characteristics of a car is far more dangerous than a skilled/informed driver travelling 10km/h faster.

But don't worry, that new Kia has stability control, ABS and airbags, it'll save you. Just keep your eyes on the speedo.
furiousgibbon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-07-2014, 01:06 AM   #16
OCTANEBOSS

If WA police targeted people who drive at night with there fog lights on when it aint foggy the roads would be safer at night ( dazzling bloody things when not really needed & i think its illegal in WA). Easy money for the revenue coffers here, they would make a quick $600 after following me home for 15 minutes at night. Barnett's wasted all the cash in the good times & now its time everyone to coff up to cover his malpractice. They have seen the cash cows in other states draw in mega bucks from this type of speed taxing its only a matter of time here , just fewer people & a much bigger area to cover. Nearly unconstitutional but that's another story.
OCTANEBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2014, 01:20 AM   #17
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by furiousgibbon View Post
How about some mandatory driver training? Oh I forgot, we all know how to 'find the address' right?

A driver who has a poor understanding of the braking or handling characteristics of a car is far more dangerous than a skilled/informed driver travelling 10km/h faster.

But don't worry, that new Kia has stability control, ABS and airbags, it'll save you. Just keep your eyes on the speedo.
So as you're so concerned about it I assume that you've paid for some extra driver training for yourself?
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2014, 01:45 AM   #18
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
I still don't think the fine for using a mobile fine is sufficient and that in addition to increasing that to $400, they should have also imposed a phone seizure and destruction penalty. It is more dangerous than mild hooning and at least should attract a similar penalty.
So you want the state to have the power to legally steal people's stuff?

Property rights are inviolable. They should not be seizing cars ... or anything, for that matter. Can't wait for the day when someone with a bottomless bank account takes on the government in court over impounding legislation.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2014, 06:23 AM   #19
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bushbasher.. QLD has that but not on speeding fines.yet. I am sure Campbell is working on that!!
Old 04-07-2014, 10:33 AM   #20
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
How about some mandatory driver training?
The jury is still out on if this actually reduces road accidents, injuries or deaths particularly in young male drivers where it can increase their level of self confidence (or generally ill judged over-confidence) in their driving skills and therefore their level of on road risk taking.

Last edited by aussiblue; 04-07-2014 at 10:40 AM.
aussiblue is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2014, 10:37 AM   #21
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
property rights are inviolable
Nowhere and never has this been the case. If the Government wants to build a highway or develop and industrial estate etc they can resume your house and land. And do you really want the crims to keep their guns and the drug dealers the proceeds of their illegal activities? In a democracy any of your property may (with compensation) be taken for the common good. Yes you are generally free to deal with, trade and use your property unfettered EXCEPT where that would conflict with the law.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:57 AM   #22
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Perhaps they might spend the revenue on adverts like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQB5Bl_2GKI
Old 04-07-2014, 11:11 AM   #23
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/cont...pl_2/ii3.short

Quote:
Results: The international literature provides little support for the hypothesis that formal driver instruction is an effective safety measure
http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/10/1/4.short
Quote:
In two studies conducted in the United States and Norway, young males who received such training were found to have a higher crash rate than comparable drivers who did not take these courses
Old 04-07-2014, 11:19 AM   #24
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...01457507001583

Quote:
The present study examined in 224 individuals whether an advanced driving training aimed at recognizing, avoiding and handling risks in demanding driving situations, affected perceived risk of driving situations (measured by a questionnaire). The training, which involved both experience and feedback on real performance, specifically intended to emphasize the dangers in loss of control of a vehicle. With that emphasis, it was hypothesized that perceived risk would increase after as compared to before the training. In addition, this study examined whether risk perception was dependent on gender or on age. A mixed ANOVA performed on mean scores on the questionnaire yielded significant main effects for training (before/after), gender, and age. Higher levels of perceived risk were reported after the training as compared to before it, by females than by males, and by older adult drivers than by younger adult drivers. An analysis of the data of a smaller sample showed that the increment in perceived risk was still present 2 months after the training, and that it did not decrease significantly as compared to immediately after the training. These results are discussed in relation to relevant methodological issues and future research
So here a positive result for all but the most at risk group - young males. I guess we need a car with a male hormone suppressor. There are no simple solutions unless we can build crash proof roads and cars.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:33 AM   #25
furiousgibbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
So as you're so concerned about it I assume that you've paid for some extra driver training for yourself?
Well if you count the skidpan days, track days and motorsport events I've driven in, I would think I'm slightly more prepared to handle tricky driving situations than the person who has only focused on nailing that parallel park to get the tick on their driving test form.

But don't worry, there's a new speed camera installation on the Kwinana freeway northbound between Farrington and South Street. Not one camera, but two; the second one presumably to catch those motorcyclists that the West Australian pointed out the other week were just having too much fun.

by the way I have all 12 points on my licence and haven't had a speeding fine in years, so I may by cynical but I'm not bitter.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:43 AM   #26
furiousgibbon

By the way, advanced driver training doesn't mean 'teach them all how to drift'

It means giving someone an understanding how a car behaves under full acceleration; the number of people I've come across who are actually *scared* to open the throttle all the way is staggering. Understanding how a car behaves under heavy braking, including the ABS that so many never feel until they are facing their first accident.

Dealing with understeer/oversteer on wet/oily tarmac. This doesn't just happen when hooning.

Most of the accidents that occur in the city are minor hits that are caused by idiots not paying attention. The accidents I'm more concerned about are the ones that happen on country roads, by people who have been given licence to control heavy machinery on the basis that they can park, check their mirrors and find the address.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:46 AM   #27
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Or should a personality profile test be included in the driver's test? I'm not serious but this shows how complex the issue is.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11421411

Quote:
Personality subtypes of young drivers. Relationship to risk-taking preferences, accident involvement, and response to a traffic safety campaign The present study aimed at identifying subtypes of young drivers (N=2524) and evaluate how these responded to a traffic safety campaign. On basis of a cluster analysis of personality measures, six subtypes of young drivers were identified. The subtypes were found to differ on self-reported risky driving behaviour, attitudes towards traffic safety, risk perception, estimation of own driving skills, and accident involvement. Two of the subtypes were identified as high-risk groups in traffic. The first high-risk group consisted of mostly men, characterised by low levels of altruism and anxiety, and high levels of sensation-seeking, irresponsibility, and driving related aggression. The second high-risk group reported high sensation seeking, aggression, anxiety, and driving anger. The subtypes were also found to differ on how they evaluated and responded to the traffic safety campaign. The results indicated that the campaign seemed to appeal most to the low-risk subtypes. Gender differences within each subtype were also found on the different traffic related measures, as well as on response to the campaign. It is concluded that young drivers should not be treated as a homogenous group pertaining to road safety. Practical suggestions on how to promote safe driving among these subtypes are also discussed.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:56 AM   #28
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
It means giving someone an understanding how a car behaves under full acceleration; the number of people I've come across who are actually *scared* to open the throttle all the way is staggering. Understanding how a car behaves under heavy braking, including the ABS that so many never feel until they are facing their first accident.

Dealing with understeer/oversteer on wet/oily tarmac. This doesn't just happen when hooning.
Unfortunately , despite the good intentions and intuitive soundness of that approach, that sort of training, rather than risk perception training, is the sort that has been shown to increase excessive self confidence in young male drivers and increasing their risk taking behaviours. Additionally it also introduces the likelihood of them "showing off" these newly learnt skills (hooning) with sometimes fatal outcomes. There are just no easy solutions.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #29
furiousgibbon

I can understand that, but young males are always going to take risks and do stupid things. I remember as a fresh P plater, driving a couple of friends around and them having a go and how slow I went around a corner. Next corner I just threw the car in at speed and plough understeered towards a parked car and a tree. Luckily the front end gripped just before it got nasty. I didn't even know what understeer was before that night.

I've passed quite a few roadside memorials where I can only assume a spongily-sprung car hit an innocuous looking dip at very high speed, got floaty and that was it. Such simple stuff that could be taught to people, it won't stop them from going ridiculously fast, but it won't necessarily encourage them to do so. It will at least give them an understanding of what could happen.
2 users like this post: