Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-06-2014, 06:21 PM   #1
ShootsWithFilm

Default Ford Roadside Assistance - is it a given?

Greetings all,

Just a quick question about the Ford Roadside assistance program.

When I read the Ford website, it suggests that if I have a capped price service, I should get free roadside assistance from my local motoring organisation. When I had my last service done in March, the dealer made no mention of this to me and I most certainly have received nothing from Ford about it.

So, is it a given that I have roadside assistance? If I have an issue (even if its a Flat or I have run out of juice), I just simply ring 1300 FORD and they will sort the rest?

Cheers

EDIT - just read that the state motoring organisation deal is only on cars sold after April 1/ 2013. Mine was purchased end of Jan 13, so I assume that I just get the standard MyFord roadside assistance?

Last edited by ShootsWithFilm; 28-06-2014 at 06:27 PM.
ShootsWithFilm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2014, 07:54 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Ford Roadside Assistance - is it a given?

You should get a card with a membership number and a phone number.

Mind you, my books were stamped at service time stating I got roadside service when I actually didn't. Then I had a major service and got a generic dealership stamp and got the card.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #3
usernametaken
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just got a sticker on the windscreen which is swapped with every service - no card per se

Bought new Jan/Feb 2013 (can't remember off top of head)
usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2014, 08:48 PM   #4
ShootsWithFilm

OK, I've never had a membership card or number, but yes, the service sticker simply says "Ford Roadside Assistance".

Based on what I thought I knew, I had let my RAA membership lapse. I just wanted to make sure that I am covered!
Old 28-06-2014, 10:42 PM   #5
Itsme
Experienced Member

When I had my car serviced there was no mention till I asked the dealer which they said they sent paper work off to ford.
Two weeks later I was notified by RACV of the Ford roadside assist on my membership with them, when my RACV renewal came in it was half priced so I presume Ford subsidised my membership payment since I have Total Care cover which is more than adequate than standard cover.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2014, 12:29 AM   #6
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

How many years does the Ford Roadside assistance last after purchase of the vehicle? I had it when I first purchased my FG XR6. Then last service, I was sent an NRMA card to replace the Ford one.
I'm also insured with Allianz who sent me their roadside assistance card around the same time.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2014, 02:05 AM   #7
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought my roadside assist had run out and possibly had but at a recent dealer service I was given a card with it on. I think originally it was 3 years and I think they continue it if you continue servicing with them.
Old 29-06-2014, 02:17 AM   #8
baxtc1

I bought mine in October 2013. With the 15,000km service got the Ford/RAA roadside assist, I don't know how it works, but is somehow attached to my existing RAA membership, though I have a separate card which is for the car, regardless of who is driving it. It seems to be pretty basic, as for country areas they will attend a call up to 32 kilometres from the nearest agent.
baxtc1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2014, 03:04 PM   #9
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All you lucky people who live in cities............We over here in rural land have trouble getting 24 hour RAA attention. Granted they are operated by private operators; auto electricians, small workshops etc
I had to call service on night around 7.30pm "aw hell Tony cant it wait Ive just sat down to dinner, could you wait till morning".

And the dealers try and sell 24 hour road side assist. JOKE
Old 29-06-2014, 03:55 PM   #10
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
I had to call service on night around 7.30pm "aw hell Tony cant it wait Ive just sat down to dinner, could you wait till morning".
Well it is part of his company's contract to get off his a** & do what he is paid to do, don't mind waiting a little while but next morning....Not on especially when you are out in the sticks.
Old 29-06-2014, 10:38 PM   #11
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
All you lucky people who live in cities............We over here in rural land have trouble getting 24 hour RAA attention. Granted they are operated by private operators; auto electricians, small workshops etc

And the dealers try and sell 24 hour road side assist. JOKE
Wasn't a Ford, but a work vehicle broke down one night at Kerrabee which is 1 hour from Muswellbrook in the middle of nowhere. Not even Telstra mange to get mobile reception out there. People in the car managed to call the depot in Newcastle on an old landline phone in an abandoned railway signal box. Supervisor got in contact with roadside assist and they flat out refused to go help the car. Said it was "too far away and this must be a prank call"

Wouldn't want to breakdown somewhere even more remote dealing with those idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
When I had my car serviced there was no mention till I asked the dealer which they said they sent paper work off to ford.
Two weeks later I was notified by RACV of the Ford roadside assist on my membership with them, when my RACV renewal came in it was half priced so I presume Ford subsidised my membership payment since I have Total Care cover which is more than adequate than standard cover.
I have heard that Ford roadside assist doesn't apply to the Ranger because it's a 'Commercial Vehicle'.
I might have to actually ask at my next service.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2014, 12:18 AM   #12
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
I have heard that Ford roadside assist doesn't apply to the Ranger because it's a 'Commercial Vehicle'.
I might have to actually ask at my next service.
Well it was offered to me & I got the confirmation in a letter from RACV, interestingly if you go to the Ford website & check Capped price servicing it states free roadside assist for all vehicles including fleet.
http://www.ford.com.au/ownership/myf...rs/cappedprice
Old 30-06-2014, 08:45 AM   #13
Mulga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've always had to ask the dealer to send me the roadside assistance card, not once have they provided it to me at the time of paying for the service.
Mulga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2014, 09:02 AM   #14
mechanic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Manufacturers roadside assistance is a selling point, nothing more.
After spending the majority of my working life in dealerships and RACQ workshops I've lost count of the number of motorists who mistakenly believe that their local dealer will rush to their assistance in the event of a breakdown.
Breakdowns are contracted out to RACQ or the corresponding body in their state.
Then the vehicle is taken to the dealer, most times there isn't one in remote areas.
How many dealerships have a tilt tray anyway, I've never worked in one?
You'll be picked up be a contractor, that's the roadside assistance they're talking about.
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2014, 03:00 PM   #15
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic View Post
Manufacturers roadside assistance is a selling point, nothing more.
After spending the majority of my working life in dealerships and RACQ workshops I've lost count of the number of motorists who mistakenly believe that their local dealer will rush to their assistance in the event of a breakdown.
Breakdowns are contracted out to RACQ or the corresponding body in their state.
Then the vehicle is taken to the dealer, most times there isn't one in remote areas.
How many dealerships have a tilt tray anyway, I've never worked in one?
You'll be picked up be a contractor, that's the roadside assistance they're talking about.
Quite true but if your vehicle is still under warranty then hopefully will be transferred to nearest dealer for repairs or nominated repairer by Ford depending on location., you can correct me if I'm wrong stating this.
This user likes this post:
Old 30-06-2014, 03:18 PM   #16
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

I bought my ST in August last year (with RACV road assist included)

When I got the first service done, the dealership renewed the road assist for 12 months.

From memory the program runs for 7 years (as long as the car is serviced at a Ford dealership)
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2014, 03:49 PM   #17
mechanic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

trublu

" Quite true but if your vehicle is still under warranty then hopefully will be transferred to nearest dealer for repairs or nominated repairer by Ford depending on location., you can correct me if I'm wrong stating this. "

Yes, in fact while working at Kununurra at the RACWA agency we picked up a Nissan that had engine immobiliser problems [ no way would it start ].
Finished up with the vehicle on a semi and off to Perth. It may have been Main Roads so that could be a different scenario as well.
Warranty in my day was weird, I don't know if things have changed much.
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2014, 05:41 PM   #18
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81 View Post
I bought my ST in August last year (with RACV road assist included)

When I got the first service done, the dealership renewed the road assist for 12 months.

From memory the program runs for 7 years (as long as the car is serviced at a Ford dealership)
Yep, had it with my old XR5T. But i stopped getting it serviced at Ford for a good reason.

Got it with my ST aswell, and its being serviced at Ford aswell.
That said ive never used it on either of the above 2 cars.
Old 30-06-2014, 05:43 PM   #19
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Quite true but if your vehicle is still under warranty then hopefully will be transferred to nearest dealer for repairs or nominated repairer by Ford depending on location., you can correct me if I'm wrong stating this.
They will take it to the nearest dealership, and from there they will try to solve the problem or take it to where it was bought.

I had warranty work done at Artarmon. Driving out of Sydney something went wrong and I pulled over in that rest stop around 10 minutes past Narellan Rd.

It towed to a dealership out Campbelltown way, then got taken back to Artarmon. Don't know at what point the roadside assist cut off and the dealer started paying but the towie kept trying to get me to pay for the tow after X km, even thoug it was arranged through the roadside assist program.

Wouldn't have been cheap...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2014, 06:00 PM   #20
superfly
Go the Hogster!

I bought my car in Oct 2011 and each time I get a service, I get the free Ford roadside assistance. First couple of times they gave me a card but one time they didn't.

I got my car serviced at the start of May and a few weeks later I got a letter from RACQ and a membership card. As I was already a member with my wife's car, I got the XR50 added onto the same membership card.

I'm hoping this time I will get my full 12 months as I get my car serviced every 9 months so I used to loose 3 months of roadside assistance as they wouldn't carry the unused portion over. I hope RACQ do!
Old 30-06-2014, 08:27 PM   #21
staity

I was told when i bought my ute 6 years ago that i had roadside for 3 years. Broke down one day about 18 months into ownership, rang ford roadside and was told my car didnt exist on their records and they wouldnt help me. Had to organise a tow truck at my own expense and when i brought it up at the delaership they seemed uninterested in my problems.

2013 Ford Kuga Titanium Gunmetal Grey
staity is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2014, 11:14 PM   #22
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

It's included if you pay for fixed price servicing. The sticker should have a serial number on it with an racq, racv logo etc on it. Ranger gets it too.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2014, 05:56 PM   #23
nitro50th

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
It's included if you pay for fixed price servicing. The sticker should have a serial number on it with an racq, racv logo etc on it. Ranger gets it too.
I got a service about 3 weeks ago but got no serial number on my sticker. The service guy asked for my RACV membership card and took my member number though, but i didnt receive a Ford roadside card.

Interestingly, i have a card from an earlier service (2013) and it stated eligibility for cars less than 6 years old and under 103k (since new warranty start date). My new sticker (and the Ford website) now state 7 years and 135k. Must have changed just recently.
05 BF XR6
10 FG XR50

Present:
81 XD Falcon 351.
nitro50th is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2014, 01:32 PM   #24
ShootsWithFilm

I ended up calling the dealer about it - their words "looks like a glitch and it wasn't submitted"...... why do I feel like calling bullshit?

I wonder if its worthwhile calling the Ford RSA number and see if I am on the system?
Old 05-07-2014, 01:39 PM   #25
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootsWithFilm View Post
I ended up calling the dealer about it - their words "looks like a glitch and it wasn't submitted"...... why do I feel like calling bullshit?

I wonder if its worthwhile calling the Ford RSA number and see if I am on the system?
Just ask the dealer to reissue it otherwise tell them you will take your car to another dealer.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:37 PM   #26
cherokee45
Starter Motor

Quote:
My experience as well. I have RACV Gold membership and was 1/2 priced after filling out the paperwork at the Ford dealership. If you are with RACV, RACQ, NRMA be sure to tell the Ford dealer as you are sigining up for road assist. (Clever way for the service provider to get new customers)
cherokee45 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2014, 12:34 AM   #27
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Isn't it the basic road side service ? living in the country I need RACQ Ultra to get service ..
http://www.ford.com.au/ownership/myf...ide-assistance