Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-06-2014, 05:26 PM   #1
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default FPV Drive Day and insurance

If anyone is interested........I was booked in for the FPV Drive Day on Dec 2nd. I thought I better forward the details onto my insurance company just to be on the safe side. After they looked over the course details they said I will not be covered for the day. A bit of a disappointment but would rather be safe than sorry. I forwarded the insurance companies reply onto Terry Bowe.

Just thought I'd put the info out there if anyone else is booking in for the day thinking they will be covered. I won't mention the name of the insurance company, end of the day some may cover, some may not.

Cheers

chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #2
graphicgoose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: FPV Drive Day and insurance

This is pretty typical of all track days and insurance companies. My insurance company (SGIO) will cover it if you meet their 4 criteria, which I think, if memory serves correct, is that:
  1. You tell them in advance
  2. It's with professional/certified instructors
  3. Laps aren't timed
  4. You don't go over 110kph
graphicgoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2014, 09:00 PM   #3
Guzz226

Which company Chris?

AAMI was ok when I did mine last year as it is considered a driver training day and not a track day eg no timed laps, in fact no laps at all as you need to come into the 'pits' and stop each lap
Guzz226 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2014, 09:16 PM   #4
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

what if it was called an advanced driver education course?

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2014, 12:26 AM   #5
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzz226 View Post
Which company Chris?

AAMI was ok when I did mine last year as it is considered a driver training day and not a track day eg no timed laps, in fact no laps at all as you need to come into the 'pits' and stop each lap
AAMI would not cover it as it classed as a track day. When I did claims for AAMI there was a case where a car was written off on a defensive driving course. Only course covered with AAMI is their own skilled drivers course. Basically got referred all the way to head management and decision was made because it was on a track it's not covered. Problem with speaking to customer service a lot do not know the technicality of the policy.

Basically most insurance companies will not cover your car if it is on a track. Read your PDS, track day, defensive driver course etc. It will state not covered.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2014, 03:13 AM   #6
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mornin' gents, I won't mention the company but I'll post the companies reply:

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your email.
As noted in your product disclosure statement on page 31 under ‘vehicle exclusions,’ your car would not be covered if it is “being used or prepared for use in any form of motor sport or context, experiments, tests, trials, or demonstration purposes.’

Therefore you would not be covered for the FPV driving day.

If you have any further queries, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

------------------------------------------------------

Given it is not a track day I don't agree with the reply. Everything Terry Bowe sent through I emailed through to the insurance company for perusal.
I forwarded the reply onto Terry Bowe that has the company reps contact details and have asked if they have anything to add, will see what Monday brings.

Will keep this thread updated.

Cheers
Old 29-06-2014, 09:40 AM   #7
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Terry Bowe says the same thing. Be careful no insurance or warranty from his point of view.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2014, 11:03 AM   #8
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
Terry Bowe says the same thing. Be careful no insurance or warranty from his point of view.
Yeah bud, no big deal my end, I wasn't going to do it originally anyway but thought 'why not'. I would have been surprised if they did cover me actually.

More so to put it on others radar. Some may read the course details and see the note that reads ......'this is not a track day' regarding insurance and think 'she'll be right then.

Cheers all
Old 30-06-2014, 09:25 PM   #9
Guzz226

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
AAMI would not cover it as it classed as a track day. When I did claims for AAMI there was a case where a car was written off on a defensive driving course. Only course covered with AAMI is their own skilled drivers course. Basically got referred all the way to head management and decision was made because it was on a track it's not covered. Problem with speaking to customer service a lot do not know the technicality of the policy.

Basically most insurance companies will not cover your car if it is on a track. Read your PDS, track day, defensive driver course etc. It will state not covered.
From AAMI PDS:
You need to tell us immediately if:
....other conditions......
• you intend to use your car on a competition race track, competition circuit, competition course
or competition arena (other than for a driver education course where the speed will not exceed
100km/h and there will be no timing of cars at any time), and you want us to consider covering you
for that use.

So doesn't strictly limit to only the AAMI course as you have stated. That said would also not cover the FPV track day as they time some of the drills and speed will exceed 100km/h even though not full track.

I got a verbal confirmation at the time it was covered - and would have escalated based on that advice (calls are recorded) if I had needed to. Nothing went 'wrong' and I don't intend to do anything similar again going forward - good to know for sure though.
Guzz226 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2014, 08:07 AM   #10
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzz226 View Post
From AAMI PDS:
You need to tell us immediately if:
....other conditions......
• you intend to use your car on a competition race track, competition circuit, competition course
or competition arena (other than for a driver education course where the speed will not exceed
100km/h and there will be no timing of cars at any time), and you want us to consider covering you
for that use.

So doesn't strictly limit to only the AAMI course as you have stated. That said would also not cover the FPV track day as they time some of the drills and speed will exceed 100km/h even though not full track.

I got a verbal confirmation at the time it was covered - and would have escalated based on that advice (calls are recorded) if I had needed to. Nothing went 'wrong' and I don't intend to do anything similar again going forward - good to know for sure though.
All good, but be careful with verbal requests to any company as not all companies record calls, even if they do say it in the phone message. AAMI call centre calls were not recorded, (2 and half years ago) when I was working there. Only the very odd call would be recorded for coaching reasons.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: