Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-06-2014, 07:23 PM   #1
Caprobbo
Fordluva

Default 5.0 heads

Hi all In the process of changing the soggy stock valve springs in the 200kw xr8 and have noticed that the exhausts have valve rotators and my replacement springs and retainers are the non rotating type. Am I setting myself up for burnt exhaust valves/seats by not using them?.

Caprobbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2014, 09:03 PM   #2
BOTTLEDUP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 5.0 heads

No not really... The rotators are there for the truck applications. What springs and retainers are you replacing them with? Be aware that due to the rotators on the exhaust valve there are two different installed heights on the GT40Ps.
BOTTLEDUP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-06-2014, 10:29 PM   #3
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

Is this normal for the 200kw engines to have rotators? I'm also looking at replacing the valve sprigs in mine.
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2014, 11:24 PM   #4
ashebxr8

I am doing the same to my xr8 (200kw) Ute aswell. I am also replacing the valve stem seals aswell since it has almost done 240,000 km.

Last edited by ashebxr8; 02-02-2015 at 11:39 PM.
ashebxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-06-2014, 11:04 AM   #5
Caprobbo
Fordluva

Yea have done mine and it revs to 5000rpm now without all the valve train noise but I'm still looking for a clean 6000.Time for a dyno tune I think.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:07 AM   #6
Caprobbo
Fordluva

If I'm not using the rotators anymore and using chrome moly retainers, the springs would be the same heights wouldn't they?
Old 09-06-2014, 05:01 PM   #7
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Open the packet of retainers first and see if they are all the same,they normally have a flatish and a deeper one. flats are inlet from memory if they are all the same check the collet lines on the valves and see if there the same height from inlet to Zorst

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2014, 02:47 PM   #8
Caprobbo
Fordluva

the exhausts collet grooves are lower.