Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-02-2014, 11:07 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default I Love America !! Flashing Lights to Warn of a Speed Trap is Free Speech...

A federal judge in St. Louis ruled Monday that a driver flashing their lights to warn other drivers of an impending speed trap is protected free speech.

On November 22, 2012 Michael Elli received a ticket for flashing his lights to warn fellow drivers of a speed trap, according to Fox 2. The American Civil Liberties Union helped Elli fight the $1,000 ticket all the way to federal court.
http://autos.aol.com/article/warning...?ncid=webmail1

Old 07-02-2014, 02:42 AM   #2
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: I Love America !! Flashing Lights to Warn of a Speed Trap is Free Speech...

Thanks csv8,
Indeed, flashing lights and otherwise is freedom of...err..."being free". I've been flashed at times, regardless of speed (usually, I'm under speed ), check the speedo and proceed with caution to find nothing?
Still, it is a heads up.
I think I am looking forward to receiving a speeding fine in the mail.
Currently living just out of town where a merge with traffic requires a push on the right pedal to safely merge with traffic. Passed a 'Dalek', was doing (safely) about 90 in an 80 zone - double demerits and double fine, will probably receive the postcard from hell next month.
2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI

Last edited by Madaya; 07-02-2014 at 02:46 AM. Reason: from hell
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2014, 03:54 AM   #3
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Default Re: I Love America !! Flashing Lights to Warn of a Speed Trap is Free Speech...

Thats brilliant! Thats a huge fine too for such a little thing.

Havent had a driver flash me for a long time...bit of a shame how drivers dont look out for each other as much anymore!

Oh and the dalek cameras need to be snatched then promptly ditched off the boat ramp..

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-02-2014, 11:09 AM   #4
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I find that I most frequently get flashed for having my headlights on lowbeam during the day.
In my mind I echo "Thanks for acknowledging the value of DRL"
I then continue driving in the same manner and at the same speed as before - until I catch up to the car in front that dropped down to 80% of the speed limit because he thinks there are police ahead.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2014, 11:10 AM   #5
EF-MattyB
EF-Weapon

You don't get fined for flashing, you get fined for using high beams within 200m of another vehicle. If you want to get really ****, just simply turn your low beams on and off. That way you cant get fined for anything!!!
EF-MattyB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-02-2014, 02:07 PM   #6
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Victoria we are allowed to flash for speed cameras/cops.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post