Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
Byooty

Default Blame the greedy retailers for everything you buy being made in China

Blame the greedy retailers for everything you buy being made in China, without them everything would be still made in Australia as we wouldn't know any different.

Now its come back full turn to bite them and us on the bum.

Last edited by Byooty; 22-12-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Byooty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Default Re: Blame the greedy retailers for everything you buy being made in China

Really? We wouldn't know the difference?

I'd say the price would be a huge indicator, wouldn't you?

There is a reason why the likes of China make everything. They're cheap.
Old 22-12-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
Byooty

Default Re: Blame the greedy retailers for everything you buy being made in China

But if the greedy retailers didnt want more profit they would still buy from Australia, and there would be no price difference.

The retailers have brought about their own demise by seeking greater profits at the expense of the consumer.
Old 22-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

And who is buying there stuff?
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

The whole point of being in a business is to make a profit.
Old 22-12-2013, 08:02 PM   #6
Byooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1DY View Post
And who is buying there stuff?
You and I are.
Old 22-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
Byooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR View Post
The whole point of being in a business is to make a profit.
At whos expense?
Old 22-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #8
RHR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in b4 lock
BA 5.4L Fairmont goone
LW MKII Focus ST gone

Y62 Series 5 Patrol TI
FG MKII XR6T
FGX XR8
RHR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #9
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

If if wasn't China it would have been India, if it wasn't them it would have been the Vietnamese, of it wasn't them it would have been the Thai, if it wasn't them it would have been any other of the dozens of countries that pay their workers a few dollars a day.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2013, 08:09 PM   #10
stevz
Banned

Time for a boycott I say...

stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-12-2013, 08:09 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I don't know about you guys but when I go clothes shopping I can't seem to find any Australian made clothes to actually buy?

The only Australian made piece of clothing I have is my AMWU t-shirt, and it was given to me free.

Even my Caterpillar boots are made in China, not the USA, but they still cost close to $300 from the safety place.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #12
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we make dirt

deal with it
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #13
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byooty View Post
At whos expense?
The poor sods making the stuff for $3 a day I'd say.

I thought it was the high Aussie dollar that was hurting retailers?

Online shopping is booming.
Old 22-12-2013, 08:17 PM   #14
Byooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
If if wasn't China it would have been India, if it wasn't them it would have been the Vietnamese, of it wasn't them it would have been the Thai, if it wasn't them it would have been any other of the dozens of countries that pay their workers a few dollars a day.

Its western societies need for greed that have forced the third world to mobilizes their before non existence workforces.
Without the greed the status quo would have been maintained, first world countries would still be making their own tools, boots, cars, etc, third world countries would still be just in sustenance mode, ie, growing veggies to survive.
Old 22-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #15
Byooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
we make dirt

deal with it
And very good dirt it is too, so why do we give it away?
We also used to make machinery, tools, boots, cars too......

We should be saying if you dont like the price of our dirt then shop elsewhere, when elsewhere has run out of dirt you are always welcome back..........but the price has changed..........dramatically.........

Last edited by Byooty; 22-12-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 22-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #16
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

blame the consumers for wanting everything for nothing the retailers are buying what the consumers want and at a price they are prepared to pay, why do you think our car industry is dying

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #17
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Disagree. The greed is both capitolist and consumer. Both are to blame.

1) We as the consumer constantly put downward pressure on prices and business responds by adjusting their structure to make profit and lower the price.

2) Capitolist greed, it's there and always will be. People constantly price gauging and shopping around comparing stores to online only fuel the fire.

Retailers are greedy however their business models are modelled to cater for the ever growing greed of the consumer.

Both are to blame and both are just as bad.

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #18
Byooty

Nothing like a good healthy debate from all points of view without anyone getting upset about it.
Old 22-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #19
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Its western societies need for greed that have forced the third world to mobilizes their before non existence workforces.
Without the greed the status quo would have been maintained, first world countries would still be making their own tools, boots, cars, etc, third world countries would still be just in sustenance mode, ie, growing veggies to survive.
So, as long as we are ok, you know, being '1st world' and all, the '3rd worlders' should just do what they do best... stay low, don't aspire to be any better, grow stuff to survive for their advanced 1st world masters to enjoy ...

Things change. It was different 100 years ago, and 1000 years ago. Empires come and go, social status and financial situations change, and in 100 years, long after most of us are gone things will change again.

That's just the way it is....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #20
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
So, as long as we are ok, you know, being '1st world' and all, the '3rd worlders' should just do what they do best... stay low, don't aspire to be any better, grow stuff to survive for their advanced 1st world masters to enjoy ...

Things change. It was different 100 years ago, and 1000 years ago. Empires come and go, social status and financial situations change, and in 100 years, long after most of us are gone things will change again.

Melbourne seemed much nicer in 1850 than it is today from what this guy tells us:

http://wedderburn.vic.au/lonely-grav...whyte-letter-1
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #21
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Nothing like a good healthy debate from all points of view without anyone getting upset about it.
Oh it won't take long............
2 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #22
Byooty

Quote:

Nicely put argument. Sir

Last edited by Byooty; 22-12-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 22-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #23
Byooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Melbourne seemed much nicer in 1850 than it is today from what this guy tells us:

http://wedderburn.vic.au/lonely-grav...whyte-letter-1
Thanks Damo for the link....
Old 22-12-2013, 09:33 PM   #24
superyob
Banned

I'm alright Jack keep your hands off my stack... Greed and profit are as old as time...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2013, 09:51 PM   #25
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

Yep even the last RM Williams table cloth material shirt(@$120)I brought was made in china... I felt violated when I read the label!
Its sad but its the times "do or die"
Old 22-12-2013, 10:47 PM   #26
Hitman
Way over here

How much do you think a pair of jeans, or a television would cost if it was made in Australia, by workers getting $20+ an hour, plus penalties, plus super, plus holidays and don't forget the 17.5% loading.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #27
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It'd be interesting to find out from Harvey Norman what the sales ratio of Australian made v made in China is with their furniture. We just went furniture shopping, the lounge suite we bought was $999 made in China, the Australian made couch, which looked the same, felt the same, same metal frame, cost $3999. As much as I love to buy Australian made, I don't have a spare three grand lying around.

And for Australian manufacturing, that's the problem...
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2013, 12:17 AM   #28
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the premise of this thread is absolute rubbish. I work for a wholesaler who only sells imported goods, im am reminded of the term: THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT.
My customer (the retailer) WONT pay double or triple for a like aussie made item because they will go broke holding all this dead stock.
I am reminded of an Aussie made lounge i saw at Fantastic for 299. This item surely is sold as a loss leader, you cant make money making such an item in australia.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 23-12-2013, 12:22 AM   #29
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
I don't have a spare three grand lying around.

And for Australian manufacturing, that's the problem...
Having listened to stories of old told by parents, in laws and grand parents times have changed. Generally we are a very affluent society today, riding the big bubble.
Local made stuff has and always will be expensive, we just buy so much stuff today, as good little consumers, we have to spread our incomes further, across more things. How many TV's do you own, How many cars, how many heated towel rails, how overweight are you and the kids, how many holidays a year, etc.
Do we need all that stuff. I propose we don't, but what we do need we buy local and buy quality rather than quantity.
Not being a 'consumer' is not a dirty lifestyle to be frowned upon by the neighbors, buy quality Buy once and hold on to it, mend and repair when necessary.
Demand will force locals to produce at a higher quality, which is what Australia needs to be doing rather than competing with slave labor.
JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2013, 12:56 AM   #30
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehoon View Post
Disagree. The greed is both capitolist and consumer. Both are to blame.

1) We as the consumer constantly put downward pressure on prices and business responds by adjusting their structure to make profit and lower the price.

2) Capitolist greed, it's there and always will be. People constantly price gauging and shopping around comparing stores to online only fuel the fire.

Retailers are greedy however their business models are modelled to cater for the ever growing greed of the consumer.

Both are to blame and both are just as bad.
I agree but as a consumer everything costs more than it should. Just walk into woolworths, everything that should be at the $3-4 mark is up around $7.

You can't get anything for nothing anymore in this age it's all heavily calculated. Stock sales are recorded in the companies computer software and averaged when sales slow on comes a special. My mate works at coles and the demand for kleenex aloe vera/eucalyptus tissues recently had dropped as they're always *** $5 a box. Not enough people were buying them. So they put them on special to re entice consumers at 1/2 price. They sold out faster than they expected and have no plans to put them on special in the near future, that is until the demand drops again and they're forced to.

This has nothing to due with what the actual product is worth. It's worth to them what people are willing to pay for it which always changes. Plays on desperation. They make it a battle between company and consumer. Reminds me of people mortgaging their houses for cancer therapy in America. You can't use the attitude you "don't have to buy it" as we kind've do as we live in a western world that depends on it. I can't go hunt a cow in a paddock and eat it. Or a forest on that matter. I can't sell **** without requiring a license it's all regulated. Back in the day people usually made a product and on top of initial costs calculated a fair percentage of what their labour was worth and happily sold it for that price. There was always greed back then but nothing now.

Soon enough we'll have kids marking up their lemonade stands 600% when the weather hits 40 degrees.