Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-10-2013, 10:52 PM   #1
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Very few AU's on the road in 3 years?

This is from a thread in the Pub, and I wondered how many AU owners would agree with it.
Quote:
The spares required wil not be as much or as comprehensive as some think, by 2016 there will hardly be any AUs left on the road
Old 27-10-2013, 11:33 PM   #2
Dezza
Parts bin special

Default Re: Very few AU's on the road in 3 years?

I doubt it. It might get harder to get bits from Ford, but there will still be heaps of aftermarkets parts out there. I still have very little trouble getting spares for my EA, despite there not being many on the road anymore, and being that it's nearly 24 years old.

Daily 2010 FG XR50T ute - Lightning Strike
6 speed manual, XR8 bonnet, hardlid, Streetfighter airbox

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2013, 12:03 AM   #3
nstg8a

There's 11ty million au's piled up in wreckers yards too....

Spares will not be an issue.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-10-2013, 12:55 AM   #4
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Still see about the same as I did 3 years ago.
TheZHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2013, 01:05 AM   #5
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

still plenty on the road and you can't kill them. they are without doubt the best and most reliable falcon made and plenty of them on the road with over 500K and still going strong

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-10-2013, 02:00 AM   #6
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

There will be less of course, but I don't think it'll be a dramatic change at all.
Most of the taxi's in Busso are still AUs, because they just keep going!

I certainly know I'm not getting rid of mine.
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2013, 08:14 AM   #7
mif73
CNC fixer guy

I think i see at least the same or more of those unfairly called "lemon" au's on the road compared to vt's etc.
Sure the bodies might be banged up a bit by now but they still power on.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #8
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

He might be right about the parts situation from Ford, but to say there will be hardly any AU's on the road imo is a bit ott. Most Au owners are canny enough to already know where to source appropriately priced parts from lol!

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #9
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

I think there will be a steady decline, and beyond a certain point it will be fast.
Happens with all models at a certain age/mileage.

The mindset is the vehicle is beyond repair and worth nothing. And it's true to a point, at that particular time.
As time goes on, they naturally become more valuable again as they enter the classic phase.

Something I noticed on my recent trip around country NSW (as far as Broken Hill), was the enormous amount of AU's.
I'm guessing they're at a point where they're dirt cheap, still reliable, solid as a rock for country use, and easy to come by.

These things are still more common than Landcruisers and the like out there.
Old 28-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #10
CFOUR
The Destroyer

i think we will see a 25% decline every 5 years.
Old 28-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #11
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To be honest they only things I have brought for my AU from Ford are B Series bits. If I upgrade something or if anything goes wrong it is replaced with an after market alternative.

I think there will be less on the road because people will be wrecking/upgrading, but I wouldn't say there will be less on the road because there isn't enough spares?

Future fun: 1968 Ford Galaxie 500

ten[A]cio[U]s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #12
FPV-HSV
previously SMIKXR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Grinzy View Post
There will be less of course, but I don't think it'll be a dramatic change at all.
Most of the taxi's in Busso are still AUs, because they just keep going!

I certainly know I'm not getting rid of mine.
Are they still using AU's as cabs ? Damn they would have some ks on them by now any pics of one grinz ? Cheers.
Old 28-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #13
peterljohnson55

If I can keep my old lady, AU2 Fairmont Ghia, until she is 20 y.o., or even 25, I will be very happy. She has all we need for a suburban-inter city car, and then some.
-------- Preventative Maintenance Policy --------
peterljohnson55 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #14
peterljohnson55

BTW, I plan on picking up a discarded AU as my parts supply.
-------- Preventative Maintenance Policy --------
peterljohnson55 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #15
XW-BAXR6T

No dont think so as people hold onto them for as long as they can & judging from what im reading on this forum, the au's are popular & will be very expensive in a few years me thinks. Cars that will be in demand with classic car enthusiasts...

Nick.
XW-BAXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #16
robbyj
Rob

AU's are dirt cheap, so much bang for your buck. Parts are abundant, i don't see a drastic decline. I reckon in 3 years the BA will be the same price as an AU.
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #17
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the flogged out rusty AU will disappear quickly. Allowing the price of good rust free units to rise.these are simple to service and good value until it has that one big failure.I have 4 because its cheeper to buy another than fix an AU.

the BA locally the prices have dived as the maintenance cost rise. these are dead dogs on a one way trip when the tow truck arrives with people looking for engine and trim conversions.

plenty of old folk that have chose EF/EL as they are much better built and easier to drive.I see loads of scrap metal guys now loaded with up market EL.most only missing axles and seats.

I just done a south island new Zealand trip.
AU-FG falcon XR6 are common every day car/utes.----for the first 2 weeks I saw 2 EA and a few XF--only 3 of 4 cyl VC-VK,one road going 2.0 VL wagon.and 2 sierra wagon.
the first day of school holidays these old new zealand fleet must have hit the roads and I counted dozens.
Davehoos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2013, 01:00 AM   #18
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV-HSV View Post
Are they still using AU's as cabs ? Damn they would have some ks on them by now any pics of one grinz ? Cheers.
Absolutely! The newest thing I've seen was a Prius, but that's disappeared again.
They certainly would have some kays on them, not sure on any details, I don't use taxis.
If you really wanted I could get pics of all of them! Never hard to find 'em.
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2013, 01:39 AM   #19
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think we will still see heaps of AUs on the road in 3 years. there were 235000 odd made, i'd be banking around 2021 you wont see as many. thou I reckon BAs will disappear before AUs. as will the BF
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #20
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2018-2022 give or take a couple of years.
Old 29-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #21
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Without trying to sound like a snob, the XR and T Series parts which are consumable/could be damaged in an accident are going to be harder to find. It's already near on impossible to find front, side and rear skirts for a T3 let alone a T1/T2. Then you have grills/foglights etc and it becomes a revolving cycle of despair.

The non-model specific stuff such as front guards, doors, rubber seals etc there should be a bit around at wreckers etc if need be. In saying that, if you've got the space, start stashing the bits just in-case (provided you want to keep the car for a while).
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #22
EATHSV
Oo---oO

People have already started hoarding the T series or rare parts. Money in the bank i the years to come I think.

I also believe that the BA/BF series will thin out well before the AU. The popularity of the barra motor out of these will render most as scrap thanks to retrofits and the turbo guys destroying engines looking for more boost.

Successful transactions with the following members:
Ride, Raised by Monkeys, TICK4D-TAS, Falcman007, 2002AU, JC.
EATHSV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #23
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I think the long term presence of the AU on the roads has less to do with the AU nuts and more to do with non-car people who just use them for transport and don't really care what it is.

In their eyes, there is nothing special about the AU that will see it cared for or whatever in the eyes of day to day motorists and on the 2nd hand market. The same fate will befall the AU as has every Falcon model before it and every Falcon model after it - once it gets to a certain age it will reach a certain level of worthlessness in the eyes of non-car people and it will become too painful and expensive for people to keep, and they will start ending up in wreckers en masse. It's probably already started going by some comments.

Some of the most desirable Falcons over the years - XY's, XA-XC coupes etc - have ended up at the tip or Simsmetal for the exact same reason. I've witnessed this time and time again over the years with Falcons from the early 80's up until now and I've seen nothing to change my view.

Only the AU nuts will continue to want/care for them and keep them on the road particularly with the performance models and these are the ones you will continue to see in the years to come, or the odd example that has been cared for from new by someone who liked their car and wanted to care for it properly.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2013, 11:50 PM   #24
leonbray
Cougar Owner

AU cylinder heads will cause the death of a few. I couldn't buy a new one last year when I needed on for the XG.

AUIII XLS with Tickford bits, 1968 XR7 (302W 4v roller cam), 1969 Convertible (302W),
leonbray is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #25
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Compared to the VT Commode the AU has aged gracefully and there seems to be no shortage of well kept examples. Three years? Hmmm I think it will be a while before they thin out to nothing but the used car market is subject to a lot of influences and I think fuel usage and newer low km Falcons will decide the survival rates of the AU.
Bill.
Old 30-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #26
robbyj
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
I think the long term presence of the AU on the roads has less to do with the AU nuts and more to do with non-car people who just use them for transport and don't really care what it is.

In their eyes, there is nothing special about the AU that will see it cared for or whatever in the eyes of day to day motorists and on the 2nd hand market. The same fate will befall the AU as has every Falcon model before it and every Falcon model after it - once it gets to a certain age it will reach a certain level of worthlessness in the eyes of non-car people and it will become too painful and expensive for people to keep, and they will start ending up in wreckers en masse. It's probably already started going by some comments.

Some of the most desirable Falcons over the years - XY's, XA-XC coupes etc - have ended up at the tip or Simsmetal for the exact same reason. I've witnessed this time and time again over the years with Falcons from the early 80's up until now and I've seen nothing to change my view.

Only the AU nuts will continue to want/care for them and keep them on the road particularly with the performance models and these are the ones you will continue to see in the years to come, or the odd example that has been cared for from new by someone who liked their car and wanted to care for it properly.
100% agree, but in 3 years? no.
Old 30-10-2013, 11:15 PM   #27
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I think paint will see AUs off the road long before the internals give out. Its not cheap to respray a whole car. If you don't care about paint condition, then AU's will be around for a while yet.

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #28
Optional

Hi, new member here.

I was interested to see a couple of people say the AU would outlast the BA models on the road.

Is this because the Au is a better car or just that more were sold?

I am trying to buy a cheap ute at the moment.

Given the choice between a 2000 model AU with 240,000km and a 2002 model BA with 290,000km in similar condition which would you choose?
Optional is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #29
robbyj
Rob

Well, our opinions are always going to be a little biased, but some here have owned both.

I would definitely choose the AU. I have 2 friends that own 02 model BA's, one is a ute, and they are both absolute lemons, always having stuff go wrong. That being said you can't judge based on that. But the general consensus is the AU is nicer to drive, inside looks and feels better, cheaper to fix when stuff does break, which is rarely.

I have owned my AU for 100,000 k's now (230,000) and the only thing i have had to replace is a water pump and power steering pump. (excluding general maintenance of course)
Old 31-10-2013, 08:46 AM   #30
Optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyj View Post
Well, our opinions are always going to be a little biased, but some here have owned both.

I would definitely choose the AU. I have 2 friends that own 02 model BA's, one is a ute, and they are both absolute lemons, always having stuff go wrong. That being said you can't judge based on that. But the general consensus is the AU is nicer to drive, inside looks and feels better, cheaper to fix when stuff does break, which is rarely.

I have owned my AU for 100,000 k's now (230,000) and the only thing i have had to replace is a water pump and power steering pump. (excluding general maintenance of course)
Thanks Robby, I guess you are right about a silly question in an AU sub forum

Not sure if this is off topic for the area, but whilst I have your attention i might ask some quick advice.

It's a manual gearbox ute. The clutch was changed about 20,000km ago.

Is there anything special I should look for? Rust locations, anything special in the engine bay or under the car, stuff like that?

Also the drivers seat has collapsed, is there a better option than just looking out for a decent one at a wrecker to replace it? And is it an easy job?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Optional is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post