Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default Northern Territory to trial roads without speed limits

Quote:
Outback speed limits will be abolished on a 200 kilometre stretch of the Stuart Highway as part of a 12 month trial that starts in February 2014.

Northern Territory transport minister Peter Styles says the outback drive between Alice Springs and Barrow Creek was an ideal place for the trial.

“The Territory has a unique road network with a low traffic volume and this section of road has been identified as an appropriate trial section,” he says. “In the ten years between 2001-2011 there wasn’t any speed related fatalities on this stretch of road.”

The current maximum speed limit throughout the Northern Territory is 130km/h.
Advertisement

Mr Styles says the limitless road was not an invitation for people to drive recklessly.

“We are bringing responsibility back to motorists – they need to be able to drive to the road conditions and their capabilities,” he says. “Be warned, police will continue to prosecute those who drive in a dangerous manner, and will be increasing enforcement of the non-wearing of seatbelts and drink driving which remain the major causes of fatalities and serious injuries on Territory roads.”

Learner and provisional drivers will have to adhere to limits placed on their licences, and heavy vehicles will continue to face restrictions.

The Country Liberal Party currently holds power in the Territory, and it has moved to overturn blanket speed limits introduced by previous Labor leadership.

NT Chief Minister Adam Giles told Fairfax Media in May that reviews of speed limits will be evidence-based.

Mr Styles says authorities will study the outcomes of the 12-month trial that starts on February 1, 2014.

Ray Wyatt, branch secretary for the Transport Workers’ Union in South Australia and the Northern Territory, did not welcome news of the trial.

“Life is more valuable than people going quicker from A to B,” he says. “The faster you go, the more damage will occur in an accident. It raises the risk.”

Nearly 2000 Queenslanders petitioned their state government for increased speed limits earlier this year.

Open speed limits were abolished by the former Territory Labor Government in 2006 and replaced by a maximum limit of 130km/h. To 2012, more people died on Northern Territory roads (307) than in the six years before the change (292).
http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...015-2vjzl.html

Well this is a good start.

Old 15-10-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Default Re: Northern Territory to trial roads without speed limits

Great news. But too bad the best car to do the drive in, a Falcon, will soon be no more :'(
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #3
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Yes, but its only 200km length of road, for 12mths. My bet is that it'll go back to 130km/h after the 12mths trial is over, just so the CLP can say they honoured their election promise and say it didn't work.

What they don't mention is that on a fair few other sections of highway in the Territory they've reduced the 130km/h limit down to 100km/h, and in some cases down to 80km/h.
Old 15-10-2013, 11:37 PM   #4
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

It won't go back IF the trial outcome is positive. Sure, some lengths of once 130kmh limit have reduced, but that is usually the result of deteriorating road quality, or crash rate, or is a higher risk section. An example is The Arnhem Highway where 'a length' was reduced from 130kmh to 110km/h a few months back.

Unlike in times past, it is worth noting under this derestriction:-
Quote:
Learner and provisional drivers will have to adhere to limits placed on their licences, and heavy vehicles will continue to face restrictions
The trucks remain speed-limited owing ARR 25. Learner and provisional drivers owing 'license cagtegory' speed-limits.

The application of derestriction, this time, is on a linear basis, rather than the old geographical application pre 2007. This gives NT GovCo the ability to trial new applications, example - they could decide to make certain (//) lengths a daytime only limit. Derestriction should see folk driving at a comfortable speed that'll be in the true 85th percentile range for the given length.

I remain of the view that NT's rural default speed-limit, 110kmh is too high, and should reduce to the range 80-90kmh. The roads this limit applies really are the worse of the worse, to the exent that it is pointless to post R4-1 speed-limit signs on any of the tracks.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2013, 03:04 AM   #5
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

The section between Alice and Barrow Creek is longer then 200klms. Also, that is the section of road that has had the most maintenance done on it over the last 18 months or so. Before that and after January 2007 nothing had been getting done. The chances of this restriction being repaeled in future is there but slim. The Guv knows that it will face an electoral thrashing it it goes down the Nanny state path again.

What will kill it will be the kids in their "hot EA flacons" seeing how fully sick their car is...... Even worse will be the dirt box commonwhores..... I dont even want to go there!!
Old 16-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #6
Trump
bitch lasagne

Trial, why do they need a trial (//) was the norm for decades, with reams of data available???

I smell a stunt, a cunning one...
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #7
usernametaken
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post

I smell a stunt, a cunning one...
Had to read that twice.

;)
usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 16-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #8
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah, I was up there 6 months ago.

did 800 kms in 5 hours - saw 3 cars. Slowed down for each one - one was a cop. no issues.

One car was crashed on the side of the hwy with a drunk original inhabitant still behind the wheel.

Never saw a pedestrian either - so maybe that waste of oxygen harlod scaby should shut the hell up
steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought speed killed ????
Old 16-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #10
pmacc

looks like all the nanny groups have started again

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226740568229
pmacc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2013, 04:14 PM   #11
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Time to buy a Suzuki Hayabusa and go riding......Ah just like the good old days!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #12
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I wouldn't mind checking out the Territory. Maybe 2014 is the year to go.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #13
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go overseas..the 130km is slooooowww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I travelled at 80mph in USA, Europe..didn't die..still alive. I see Scruby's name in that article !!!
Old 16-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #14
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6 View Post
Time to buy a Suzuki Hayabusa and go riding......Ah just like the good old days!
Supersport

Blistering speed ... Precision handling ... Touring comfort ... 1400GTR ABS… Have your cake and eat it too!

Take one ZX-14 based 1400cm³ fuel-injected, dual RAM AIR four cylinder engine, add variable valve timing, shaft drive, Tetra-lever rear suspension, an electronically adjustable windshield, superbly comfortable ergonomics and a seamlessly integrated luggage system and what do you have? The world’s first transcontinental supersport motorcycle. Incredible acceleration, razor sharp handling and amazing high speed stability, all with the level of comfort you’d expect from a pure-bred long distance touring motorcycle. The 1400GTR ABS from Kawasaki … who said you can’t have your cake and eat it too?
Old 16-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #15
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Supersport

Blistering speed ... Precision handling ... Touring comfort ... 1400GTR ABS… Have your cake and eat it too!

Take one ZX-14 based 1400cm³ fuel-injected, dual RAM AIR four cylinder engine, add variable valve timing, shaft drive, Tetra-lever rear suspension, an electronically adjustable windshield, superbly comfortable ergonomics and a seamlessly integrated luggage system and what do you have? The world’s first transcontinental supersport motorcycle. Incredible acceleration, razor sharp handling and amazing high speed stability, all with the level of comfort you’d expect from a pure-bred long distance touring motorcycle. The 1400GTR ABS from Kawasaki … who said you can’t have your cake and eat it too?
Bloody hell they're pushing the limits ar'nt they? I'm a Suzuki man but the ZX14 is still bloody impressive and the GTR also is..... Better get to the NT before the good times stop rolling!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2013, 12:11 AM   #16
Spurious

I did a trip there years ago ('97 ish). Tenant creek to Darwin. No limit most of the way except for road house stops. Can't remember much of the trip actually, it's hard to make notes at 170 kph to 210 kph!!!

I had no troubles. The biggest issue you face out there is a mechanical breakdown. I slowed for oncoming cars/trucks (about 2 or 3 over a 10 hour periond!). I did discover cattle grids on the highway whilst at 170 kph, that was a surprise & the 2 kangaroos that hopped out in front of me at the same speed served as a gentle reminder.

I also enjoyed playing leap car (frog) with 2 blokes in a 351 XD. I was in a brand new VS v6 commy (hire car) & I lost sight of his tail lights a couple of times whilst flat out at 217 kph! (at dusk, not dark, c'mon I'm not crazy)
I don't think I'd have the courage for that now though. I'm more interested in taking in the beautiful landscape nowadays.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2016, 09:55 AM   #17
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple6 View Post
Yes, but its only 200km length of road, for 12mths. My bet is that it'll go back to 130km/h after the 12mths trial is over, just so the CLP can say they honoured their election promise and say it didn't work.
Wrong. They now have 336km of roads with no speed limits. Good to see the policy introduced by the looney left being unwound.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/460557/n...nt-wants-more/

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....light=northern

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2016, 05:55 PM   #18
5thFordWA

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft View Post
I remain of the view that NT's rural default speed-limit, 110kmh is too high, and should reduce to the range 80-90kmh. The roads this limit applies really are the worse of the worse, to the exent that it is pointless to post R4-1 speed-limit signs on any of the tracks.
If by this you mean that all side roads, unsealed roads, narrow sealed roads, tracks, etc, should carry a default speed limit less than the current 110 km/hr (same in WA), then I agree with you wholeheartedly. A much more important and relevant issue than the 100/110/130/unlimited debate on wide sealed roads with a white line down the middle.

Cheers.
2016 SZ Territory TX 4.0 Petrol (6th & last?)(Sadly, written off)
2004 WRX (Retirement Toy)
5thFordWA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2016, 11:40 PM   #19
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Wrong. They now have 336km of roads with no speed limits. Good to see the policy introduced by the looney left being unwound.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/460557/n...nt-wants-more/

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....light=northern
Glad I was wrong! I've been lucky enough to spend many, many hours legally travelling at 140-145km/h up to Ti Tree, Barrow Creek etc and back. However the CLP are looking at losing the next election (end of Aug) by a landslide and the Labor party have repeadedly declared they with return that section back to 130km/h if elected. They're pretty quiet about it at the moment actually, so maybe they don't want to talk about their plans in case it's negatively received.

In regards to the list above, I also drive those dirt roads a lot and 110km/h is fine. There's this common misconception that because the sign says 110km/h that people do that speed regardless (I know there's the psychological number thing), but in actual fact I haven't come across anyone going too fast for the conditions regardless of if the sign says 110km/h. I hate this whole 'cater for the lowest demoninator' thing - it just punishes the other 99%. Let stupid do stupid, and let the rest of us get on with out business.

Last edited by Simple6; 11-07-2016 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Bloody iPad keyboard
Simple6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post