Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Which new TV to buy?

My 8 years old 42" Hitachi TV started playing up tonight with a black line down the centre of the screen. It's been giving me signals over the past few weeks with occassional ghosting and pixilating. It might be a simple fix but, just in case, I've just done some research on LCD, LED, and plazma and recommendations on C.net are:-
Best LCD: Samsung LN46D630 46"
Best LED: Visio M3D550KDE 46"
Best Plazma: Panasonic TC-P55VT50 55"

Electronics are not my most knowledgeble subject so any experiences and advice will be appreciated.

Last edited by Pedro; 02-04-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
JAJH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Which new TV to buy?

I don't know what your budget is but I recently bought a LG 60 inch 3D for about $2300 from Domayne in Bundall. It's got a fantastic HD picture and it also can convert standard 2D into a simulated 3D.

PREVIOUS RIDES
AU3 VENOM RED XR8, 19" SILVER ARGENTS, REBEL BODY KIT & 6/4 BREMBOS
MARS RED FG MK2 XR6 ECOLPI, SILVER ARGENT 19" RIMS & TINT
BLOOD ORANGE BA GTP, QUAD EXHAUST, SUNROOF, CHIPPED, SS CAI, 320KW
NAROOMA BLUE AU3 HERROD XR8- SS CAI, TS RIMS, 6/4 BREMBOS, TWIN SPOILER, REBEL BODY KIT & TUNED BY ELITE
VENOM GTP, HERROD EXHAUST, DVD PLAYER, WINDOW TINT, SS CAI, STEALTH
VENOM AU11 TE50, HERROD LOWERED, HEADERS AND EXHAUST
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JAJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #3
trentski
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got a 50 inch Samsung plasma and apart from having a real nice picture it has a nice remote and a good user interface. I don't like the remotes and user interface of the panasonics, so it's worth considering that when you compare them.
trentski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #4
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Most of my TV's are Samsung now. Like the remotes, pictures are good, have a 50" and 64" and still going good. I just think they are very good value.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2013, 10:31 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

Having had both a plasma and an LED, I very much prefer the LED. A lot sharper picture. They do say that plasmas are better if you watch a lot of sport as the LED can sometimes go a bit pixelated in fast movement images eg a footy match etc. Having said that I cannot fault ours and will buy another LED when this one goes.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:33 PM   #6
usernametaken
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The ST is better value than the VT

With the VT you are paying a lot more for the THX and a couple of smaller extras.

Go the ST

Can be had for around $1800 for the 60" at the moment.

Plasma is still king
usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-04-2013, 11:19 PM   #7
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Consider a Sharp (Simply the best? *boom tish*).... I have the 52" version of this one, I got it for about $1700 even thought RRP was $2400 or some such. Absolutely magnificent picture. Plenty of input outputs and its networkable so can play media off a media server too

http://www.sharp.net.au/product-cata...ts/LC60LE940X/
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2013, 11:26 PM   #8
BHDOGS
Banned

http://www.binglee.com.au/samsung-ua...-55inch-led-tv
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2013, 11:27 PM   #9
BHDOGS
Banned

also harvey norman will price match with online stores thats how i got my 55inch sony tv for 1300 when it was advertised at 1700
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2013, 11:40 PM   #10
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

I always buy Japanese brands and never had a problem with any of them. (Panasonic and Sony).
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2013, 12:09 AM   #11
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
I always buy Japanese brands and never had a problem with any of them. (Panasonic and Sony).
That's why I bought the Hitachi in the first place but my understanding of the current manufacturing is that they are all made in China apart from the Korean brands.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:36 AM   #12
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought a new Panasonic LED TV at the start of the year (made in Malaysia) and it's fantastic, I love it. It's a 'Smart TV' so it can hook up to the internet, get facebook and youtube and can also record live TV onto a USB stick or hard drive. Syncs up to a smart phone as well. The full 1080p is so sharp and clear, it's mesmerising, twin USB ports, and it plays absolutely every file type imaginable (avi, mp4, flv, mkv, mov, mpeg, etc etc. I'm wrapt with it.

It replaced a Panasonic CRT TV which my parents bought in 1992 (still working, and the 42 inch Panasonic plasma they replaced it with seven years ago is still going strong too). In my experience you can expect a long and trouble free life with Panasonic products. I also just bought a new Panasonic 'Genius' microwave and that's been outstanding as well, a really noticeable quality difference from the other brands, and not surprisingly it replaced a flimsy Samsung microwave that died after 12 months.

I always come back to the major Japanese brands because I've never had a bad experience with any of them - can't say the same for the Koreans, Samsung and LG.

Downloaded Goodfellas in 1080p, a real treat for the eyes on the new telly.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:48 AM   #13
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got a 50 inch Samsung and a 42 inch hisence
The Samsung was replaced a week after we got it cos it started smoking and making funny noises
Lucky we took an extended warranty as the replacement samsung TV has been back twice to have the mother boards replaced
Also have a Samsung fridge that blew up 8 months after I got it and it was near impossible to get it replaced while it was still under warranty even after the samsung servce tech said that it wasn't worth fixing
We had a very bad experience with Samsung customer service or should I say lack of customer service

We we're a week away from a small claims hearing when they decided to act

I believe the Hisence is the only TV on the market with a 2or 3 year ( cant recall the exact period) In house replacement warranty

We have had the Hisense for Just under 3 years and no probs and the picture quality is as good as anything that is on the market

We just purchased another 3 of them one each for the kids and one for my mum

Last edited by neptune blue; 03-04-2013 at 12:54 AM.
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2013, 08:06 AM   #14
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you can get a Sony Bravia.

I have had one for 5 years now.

After 16 months of owing my tv, the LCD panel decided to start flashing red. (LCD is the screen). I called Sony up and they asked me when I got the TV. I had registered it with them so they said it is out of warranty, but we will send someone to look at it.

Gave me the number of the local guy, they came down tested the TV. Said they would be out in about 2 weeks to replace the panel. Panel was replaced within the 2 weeks and I had to pay for nothing.

It was good that Sony stand by the product, even after the warranty period.

The guy I spoke to at Sony said, that the panel should last longer than 16 months. It was such an easy and quick process. I have had other items stop working in the warranty period and have had more trouble than when I spoke with Sony.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #15
trentski
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
After 16 months of owing my tv, the LCD panel decided to start flashing red. (LCD is the screen). I called Sony up and they asked me when I got the TV. I had registered it with them so they said it is out of warranty, but we will send someone to look at it.
There should be no surprise that they fixed it free of charge, look up what your statutory warranty rights are and you will see that extended warranties are just a money spinner for the seller.
If it had not been fixed for free then consumer affairs would have helped you change Sony's mind
trentski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #16
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

we bought the sharp aquos 70 inch

only 100hz and when the footy is kicked its a little hazy as it spins but when you sit 4 meters away from it you dont give a crap
we paid 4500 for it
its prob down to around 3800 now

the 100 inch is out in the states (think its here or is very close) 200hz i believe
usa price 12 grand
au price 21 grand

rort

our 42 inch will go out on the alfresco for summer

we're not into the 3D thing so didnt bother with any of that rubbish
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #17
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win View Post
I bought a new Panasonic LED TV at the start of the year (made in Malaysia) and it's fantastic, I love it. It's a 'Smart TV' so it can hook up to the internet, get facebook and youtube and can also record live TV onto a USB stick or hard drive. Syncs up to a smart phone as well. The full 1080p is so sharp and clear, it's mesmerising, twin USB ports, and it plays absolutely every file type imaginable (avi, mp4, flv, mkv, mov, mpeg, etc etc. I'm wrapt with it.

It replaced a Panasonic CRT TV which my parents bought in 1992 (still working, and the 42 inch Panasonic plasma they replaced it with seven years ago is still going strong too). In my experience you can expect a long and trouble free life with Panasonic products. I also just bought a new Panasonic 'Genius' microwave and that's been outstanding as well, a really noticeable quality difference from the other brands, and not surprisingly it replaced a flimsy Samsung microwave that died after 12 months.

I always come back to the major Japanese brands because I've never had a bad experience with any of them - can't say the same for the Koreans, Samsung and LG.

Downloaded Goodfellas in 1080p, a real treat for the eyes on the new telly.

Thanks for your concise report. (And thanks everyone else as well).
mmmmm ... that Chrysler convertible would look good in my garage alongside my Park Lane.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #18
Winter XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a new 55" LG LED 3D Smart TV in the lounge room, works very well. A 42" Samsung plasma in guest room, about 3 years old. Being plasma, it's not as good, think it was a cheaper model though. And a 40" Sony Bravia LCD in my bedroom, which is about 4 years old now and it still works and looks good.
Winter XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #19
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentski View Post
There should be no surprise that they fixed it free of charge, look up what your statutory warranty rights are and you will see that extended warranties are just a money spinner for the seller.
If it had not been fixed for free then consumer affairs would have helped you change Sony's mind
This was in 2008. The laws had just been changed. The point I was making was Sony were so easy to deal with, was on hold for a couple of minutes and basically took me 5 minutes of my time to sort this out. Sony did not try and get out of anything. Really happy with that.

I will always buy Sony TV's due to the service I got.

I have dealt with other companies and has taken weeks or months to get similar issued sorted.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #20
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernametaken View Post
Plasma is still king
Plasma is no longer the king! All they are these days is a screen full of flicker with dirty whites and buzzing!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #21
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
If you can get a Sony Bravia.

I have had one for 5 years now.

Gave me the number of the local guy, they came down tested the TV. Said they would be out in about 2 weeks to replace the panel. Panel was replaced within the 2 weeks and I had to pay for nothing.

It was good that Sony stand by the product, even after the warranty period.

The guy I spoke to at Sony said, that the panel should last longer than 16 months. It was such an easy and quick process. I have had other items stop working in the warranty period and have had more trouble than when I spoke with Sony.
+1

I recently bought a Sony Bravia 55 inch 200hz TV. Very, very happy with it. Great picture, 8 star energy rating, thin screen, fast response to remote inputs.

They're on special for sub 2K at the moment.

Cheers,

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #22
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

I got a 40" Sanyo LCD from Dick Smith 12 months ago. Very happy with it. hth
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #23
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

I saw a 142cm LED for $888. Looked quite good actually. But it was an Aldi TV, personally I have never had an issue with anything electronic from them. But as its not a Samsung, Sony, Panasonic etc many will automatically write it off.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #24
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Anyone here got a TV from Kogan? Prices are dirt cheap, don't know if they are just re-branded Chinese stuff or Korean panels.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #25
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS View Post
Thats very similar to the one we have. Paid a lot more for it back then though
Old 03-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #26
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

We bought a Toshiba Regza 42in LCD back in 2008, I'm not sure if I'd buy another again. It has an odd little 'feature' with the EPG if you want to flick to certain channels it will switch itself off. It is also as slow as a wet week.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #27
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

I am happy with my 2 Hisense with their 3 year in house warranty.

Has bought in a lot of Japanses technology

"electronics makers and began to manufacture televisions under the name Qingdao General Television Factory[Bell 3] in Shandong province.[Bell 3]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hisense

"Color televisions were manufactured through the purchase of a production line from Matsushita,[Bell 3] the first of many such technology transfers from foreign firms Hisense has made in order to remain competitive. The companies it has bought from include Hitachi, Lucent, Matsushita, NEC, Sanyo, Toshiba, and Qualcomm."

It also makes TV's for other companies:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_makes_Hisense_TVs

"Hisense sells under multiple brand names such as Hitachi. Other companies are Lucent, Matsushita, NEC, Sanyo, Toshiba, and Qualcomm."
Old 03-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #28
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

I bought the Sanyo to replace a Hisense 32" which we had. All the colour basically decided to go 'inverted' after about 2 years. When we claimed on warranty I wasn't able to be home during those times, so I had to arrange to take it to one of their repairers to assess it, and then I had to go and pick up their replacement (which looks to be a reconditioned older model) after that.

Because all of this took about 2 weeks I bought the Sanyo so I wasn't without a TV in the meantime. I haven't even tried the Hisense they gave me under warranty. The Sanyo for $399 is a much better TV than the Hisense we paid $699 for a few years ago.
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2013, 05:29 PM   #29
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned View Post
Plasma is no longer the king! All they are these days is a screen full of flicker with dirty whites and buzzing!
You havent seen the Pioneer Kuro - if you had you would swallow ur words.
Kuro is king and IS still benchmarked as the reference standard for pic quality.

Silly Sounding Tip - its all in the black. When considering a TV, look at how black the screen is 'turned off'. In a nutshell the blacker the screen appears the better it will project its black.... the better it does this the better the pic.

My choice in no preferred order
Sharp Aquos
Panasonic
Samsung

I would not look at Sony - over rated !

Warning - This users posts are classified (G).

G (General) – Contains material intended for general viewing. The content is very mild in impact.
IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED SENSITIVE ADULTS VIEW IN THE COMPANY OF CHILDREN

Last edited by fte50; 03-04-2013 at 05:35 PM.
fte50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #30
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Plasma - heavy TVs that use a lot more power than LCD and LED/LCD TV's. Also have a larger border around the screen
LCD/LED - Lighter and uses about a quarter of the power of a plasma. Also, the borders are a lot smaller so the screen looks more like it goes right to the edge of the TV.