Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #1
TE029
Blue Blooded

Default Best Performance/Daily drive under 25K ?

Hi All,

After some opinions on best performance car option under 25K to use as a daily driver. I just sold a T3 TE50 as i couldnt bring myself to turn my 50000Km garage queen into a daily, I am now leaning towards the below options -

BA GT or GTP, Probably better off with the GT so i dont have the Brembo's to deal with on a daily but if the price is right...

2002 Audi S6 - Yeah i know it is a strage one but worked on them when they were new and they were a weapon, Age does not do Euro cars any favors though so hesitating here.

2004 Ausi S4 - The V8 in these things sound horn and they drive great but again age and Euro= $$$

So i find myself looking at 2 options a BA GT manual with approx. 70K for dealer price of $26000.00

Or a BA GTP auto with 130K and new twin exhaust for dealer price of $24000.00

What would you pay and which way would you go ?
No right or wrong here just looking for some Pro's and Con's from another perspective.

Needs to carry the kids and do 15000K's a year and last the next 4-5 years..

Let me know your thoughts or random suggestions.

Cheers
Mick

The ones I wish I never sold but you cant live in them...
XE ESP 351 4 speed in Red and Charcoal
ED XR8 Sprint 5 speed in Polynesian Green
2002 AUIII TE50 5.6lt 5 speed in Venom Red
2003 FPV GTP in Phantom
TE029 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 
Default Re: Best Performance/Daily drive under 25K ?

Fg xr6 turbo.. You may get one still under factory warranty for what you want to spend... BA GT's can be expensive to maintain. Xr6t gives you cheaper rego, better fuel and a newer car.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
T4ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the manual BA GT sounds good.

If you weren't worried about driving a Holden then a VZ SS 6ltr 6spd would fit the bill also.

Japanese 6cyl turbo?
Built BTR 4k TCE stall
FG inlet and exhaust manifolds
T4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
TE029
Blue Blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
Fg xr6 turbo.. You may get one still under factory warranty for what you want to spend... BA GT's can be expensive to maintain. Xr6t gives you cheaper rego, better fuel and a newer car.
Strange thing to say i know, But too new for me, Couple of reasons, But main one is I personally dont like the newer shape being the main one.
Very logical call that makes sense though !

Hadnt thought of a Typhoon though.. Hmm off to carsales.com he goes...

2003 FPV GTP in Phantom
This user likes this post:
Old 25-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #5
TE029
Blue Blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4ME View Post
I think the manual BA GT sounds good.

If you weren't worried about driving a Holden then a VZ SS 6ltr 6spd would fit the bill also.

Japanese 6cyl turbo?
I did think of the generals offerings for a heartbeat but Blue blooded and couldnt do it..

Need a 4 door with decent size boot which rules out a lot of Jap stuff, So does the lack of the "Right"sound out the back :-)

2003 FPV GTP in Phantom
Old 25-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #6
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A BF turbo? as a daily driver they make good sense . they have good economy driven normally and only drink the fuel when you put the boot in.
best of both worlds

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #7
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

I bought a BFII Typhoon for 26K with under 90,000 km. Great buys out there at the moment.

That's my suggestion.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2012, 12:20 AM   #8
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Cant have a Holden, must be >$25K, must be a V8.

hmmm can you handle iffy build quality and a 5 spd slusher?

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...k&sort=%7eYear

Chrysler 300C with 57,000km
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2012, 12:32 AM   #9
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you get either of the Audis, you might want to consider a second job...

Mazda 6 MPS might be worth a look.
Liberty GT also? 4th gen. 5th gen is pig ugly.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2012, 12:40 AM   #10
Windsor220
Now Fordless

If you want a bit more space then maybe a Territory turbo.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #11
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

BFII XR8 with luxury pack should come in under 25k, similar brake size to a BA GT, newer car and ZF 6 Speed auto leaves the BTR 4 speed in the Stone Age.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #12
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know it's sold, but my answer would have been "You already have the car you love...drive it".

A guy I used to work with has, as a second car, a 1964 Chevrolet Bel Air four door in literally brand new condition and all original that was left to him by an elderly relative who had owned it since brand new. It only had around 60,000 miles on it, and had been babied all it's life. The young guy kept it in the shed, polishing and cleaning it, driving his other car but only maybe driving it once every month or two. When asked why he didn't drive it more often, he would always reply "I don't want to run the miles up and ruin its value". One guy at work one day came out with the perfect answer to this comment: "So, are you planning on selling it?". The shocked answer was "No, of course not! That car is never getting sold". The reply was simply "Then the only value it has is its value to you in the enjoyment you get out of it...drive the damn thing".
My mate now drives it fairly regularly, the only real change being he bought a nice set of American Racing wheels in a nice traditional 15" and left the original and old cross-ply tyres and rims with beautiful hubcaps at home, only putting them on for shows.

In my own case, it's a motorbike...my 1974 H2B 750cc two-stroke three cylinder is a rare bike these days, and worth a hell of a lot of money, up near twenty grand probably or maybe more, but it gets "ridden not hidden".

Whatever you buy, make sure you drive it.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
9 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #13
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
I know it's sold, but my answer would have been "You already have the car you love...drive it".

A guy I used to work with has, as a second car, a 1964 Chevrolet Bel Air four door in literally brand new condition and all original that was left to him by an elderly relative who had owned it since brand new. It only had around 60,000 miles on it, and had been babied all it's life. The young guy kept it in the shed, polishing and cleaning it, driving his other car but only maybe driving it once every month or two. When asked why he didn't drive it more often, he would always reply "I don't want to run the miles up and ruin its value". One guy at work one day came out with the perfect answer to this comment: "So, are you planning on selling it?". The shocked answer was "No, of course not! That car is never getting sold". The reply was simply "Then the only value it has is its value to you in the enjoyment you get out of it...drive the damn thing".
My mate now drives it fairly regularly, the only real change being he bought a nice set of American Racing wheels in a nice traditional 15" and left the original and old cross-ply tyres and rims with beautiful hubcaps at home, only putting them on for shows.

In my own case, it's a motorbike...my 1974 H2B 750cc two-stroke three cylinder is a rare bike these days, and worth a hell of a lot of money, up near twenty grand probably or maybe more, but it gets "ridden not hidden".

that's it!! their meant to be driven. even if I had a phase 3 GTHO. i'd still drive it. don't care how much its worth. all cars are made too be driven
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #14
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

I had to consider this myself recently, as my car was stolen. I might still have to make more decisions depanding on the insurance outcomes due to its condition after recovery,anyway..

Someone said you were looking for a V8, but on reading the op, this wasn't mentioned. It will be hard to move from the power, noise and fun once you have tasted V8 enjoyment

I looked at the VW Golf GTI's. You can still fit adults in the back.
The boot is ok, for a hatchback. ITS NOT A HOLDEN, or anything GM affiliated.

My only issue was I did not want to leave the blue oval, I also hated the backwards indicators, the auto goes 'up' the gears pushing the wrong way, and the layout of the accelerator is annoying.

Plus point are-goes like stink and handles too, cheap on fuel, and cheap rego (qld at least).
my_gxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #15
usernametaken
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bora 4motion and keep the change (and yes, I noted the Euro comments on age)
usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #16
XT302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate has a Orange 2006 series2 BF 6spd typhoon, 1 owner less than 85000kms on clock for $25K in Sydney
Old 26-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #17
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

F6' force6 force8 will all do you proud. The force twins a good buying as they aren't well enough known to have good resale, a pity for a burger with the lot car.

The territory turbo was an excellent suggestion. F6X would be too, but you won't fit that in your budget.

Of the 2 cars you mentioned the lower km GT would be good but if its a family car the mrs might prefer the auto.

If you go the BA BF FPV route it might be worth hanging out for a 6 speed car as they are a bit better on fuel and as a daily that matters.

The other thing is get something you will be happy with long term. I watched plenty of people buy the latest hi tech gadget only to be over it quickly and burn $$ changing them over again and again. The benefit of the FPV will be it will still make you smile when it's 10 years old. The Audi won't. It will be a car for the two bob millionaire brigade.

Not sure if that helps.

T
Old 26-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #18
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE029 View Post
I did think of the generals offerings for a heartbeat but Blue blooded and couldnt do it..
.......but you're happy to drive a Corolla....
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2012, 10:48 PM   #19
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

EL XR8 with $10k thrown at it...
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2012, 11:18 PM   #20
MattGTP

I did the exact same recently. Sold the TE50 as we wanted a daily driver. Ended up with a BFII GTP. Great decision. I wanted the FG but the wife prefered the shape of the BF and as she is driving it I went with what she wanted. I suggest stick to the GT or GTP. You will not regret. If you can get the 6 speeds. We got the auto. Really easy to live with.
MattGTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2012, 11:21 PM   #21
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post

A guy I used to work with has, as a second car, a 1964 Chevrolet Bel Air four door in literally brand new condition and all original that was left to him by an elderly relative who had owned it since brand new. It only had around 60,000 miles on it, and had been babied all it's life. The young guy kept it in the shed, polishing and cleaning it, driving his other car but only maybe driving it once every month or two. When asked why he didn't drive it more often, he would always reply "I don't want to run the miles up and ruin its value". One guy at work one day came out with the perfect answer to this comment: "So, are you planning on selling it?". The shocked answer was "No, of course not! That car is never getting sold". The reply was simply "Then the only value it has is its value to you in the enjoyment you get out of it...drive the damn thing"

In my own case, it's a motorbike...my 1974 H2B 750cc two-stroke three cylinder is a rare bike these days, and worth a hell of a lot of money, up near
twenty grand probably or maybe more, but it gets "ridden not hidden".

You can get enjoyment from owning a special car - you dont have to drive it every day or even every month. Main reason for not driving it daily does ot have to be protection of its resale value. It is special vehicle and gets driven on special occasions. Good example is Walt Kowalski from Clint Eastwoods Gran Torino - he washes and polishes it and drives his beaten up F100 as a daily.
To me special car is used sparingly , it is above mundane transportation and it is treated with utmost care - pampered in every way.
It all hinges on ones life philosophy :-)
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #22
gtfpv
GT

fg is the better car by far . for 22k . BAGT WILL BE faster and have more wow , but like a boat in comparrison . ba gt will probably need several thousand dollars spent on it to get it as new , and paint may be shyte .
with me i would go xr6 , but if your after a performance V8 go the ba gt and spend a bit on it . THE BA GTP . forget it .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2012, 11:43 PM   #23
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv View Post
fg is the better car by far . for 22k . BAGT WILL BE faster and have more wow , but like a boat in comparrison . ba gt will probably need several thousand dollars spent on it to get it as new , and paint may be shyte .
with me i would go xr6 , but if your after a performance V8 go the ba gt and spend a bit on it . THE BA GTP . forget it .
I'd put money on the fg xr6t flogging the ba gt.

If it has to be V8, and not a fg, then force 8 all the way. Pure class.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2012, 11:58 PM   #24
klawsterfobik
Bad Music and Litre Bikes

For under 25k you can pick yourself up a 2008 G6ET. I couldn't think of anything better for that money to do shopping duties and when required fill the need for spirited driving.

I'm currently trying to hunt one down myself.
Anyway. Enough reality, back to the topic.
klawsterfobik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2012, 12:12 AM   #25
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like you're trying to justify buying a BA.
How about a BMW e39 540i. Fair few around, some are dirt cheap as well or,
Stretch the budget and look at a e60 545i.
Both examples are far beyond what Ford produces. They are a true sports saloon with loads of features.

Some specs below;

e39 540i
V8 32V, 4398, 10.0:1, 210 kW (286 PS; 282 bhp) @ 5400,
440 N·m (320 ft·lbf) @ 3600, 0-100kph 6.2 (man) / 6.5 (aut), 1996–2003

e60 545i
V8 Displacement4398 cm3Power 245(333)/6100 KW(hp)/RPMTorque331.9/3600 lb-ft/RPM
performance
Top Speed155.3 mph OR 250 km/h
Acceleration 0-62 Mph (0-100 kph)5.8 s
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #26
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

If your main reasoning is a nice sounding V8 any of the 5.4 engines sound old school tough and as mentioned you can pick up a GT, GTP B serious for around the money. If sound isn't your primary choice. Any FG turbo, G6ET or XR6T is a better buy IMO, or as mentioned before a Mazda 6 MPS, Subaru GT (with plenty of change left over), both respond very well to modifications (particulary the Subi) are normally well maintained with good build quality.

Having gone the Euro route myself in the past, I will NEVER EVER go back until I will Lotto, not worth the cost IMO.

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2012, 10:23 AM   #27
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

as elks said the force fpv cars a hamburger with the lot without the wow factor here's one
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...k&sort=default
BLU-220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #28
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV597 View Post
as elks said the force fpv cars a hamburger with the lot without the wow factor here's one
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...k&sort=default
Looks like an awesome buy, the exhaust isn't cheap.

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #29
LightningStrike

That's your car right there. You will get that for your budget too!!

Winter White AUII eGas 1 Tonner Goooone!

Winter White SY Ghia AWD 6spd Injected Gas
Mazda 3 SP25GT
==========================
LightningStrike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #30
LightningStrike

That's your car right there. You will get that for your budget too!!

Winter White AUII eGas 1 Tonner Goooone!

Winter White SY Ghia AWD 6spd Injected Gas
Mazda 3 SP25GT
==========================
LightningStrike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post