Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
HarleyXR6

Default Spider in the car!

G'day guys. Last night i noticed a hunstman about 15cm long on my windscreen, Went to brush it off, But it was inside. Me and my brother spent hours trying to find it and get it out after 2 failed attemps and getting it out.

Im not sure what to do. I refuse to drive while i know its in there. I set a bomb off just before and will set two more off later, And i know these have minimal effect on the spider itself, But will kill all its food and hopefully its moves out.

Anyone else have some tips? My next option may be a couple of sticks of dynamite and an insurence claim

HarleyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Default Re: Spider in the car!

Im no good with huntsmans at all. Put me near one and, involuntarily, im 10 meters away in half a second.

These buggers prefer to be out at night so your best bet is to look for it then.

Last edited by GT; 13-12-2012 at 10:11 AM. Reason: first warning - pls read T&C
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 09:34 AM   #3
sbcb
BA Xr8

Sell it. As is, where is. If no buyers then just walk away. At least you'll have your life.
My Ford List - AU1 Futura, AU1 Cobra XR8, EB Gli Project Car, AU2 XR8 200kw, AU1 Fairmont Ghia VCT, AU1 V8 Tickford Fairmont Ghia, BF Xr6 6spd ZF, BA MkII XR8, AU3 Fairmont, SX Territory, AU3 Xr8 220kw, BA Xr8.
sbcb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

leave the car open over night and it will leave, im buddhist so please dont kill it.

hes looking for other spiders to eat, huntsmen hunt other spiders ect.

15cm long lol, he must have scared you.
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyXR6 View Post
G'day guys. Last night i noticed a hunstman about 15cm long on my windscreen, Went to brush it off, But it was inside. Me and my brother spent hours trying to find it and get it out after 2 failed attemps and getting it out.

Im not sure what to do. I refuse to drive while i know its in there. I set a bomb off just before and will set two more off later, And i know these have minimal effect on the spider itself, But will kill all its food and hopefully its moves out.

Anyone else have some tips? My next option may be a couple of sticks of dynamite and an insurence claim
15cm ? , time for a cuppa aggregate as I have no sympathy , park the car in the sun and open the door on the shade side , when you come back spidy will have vacated
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Remember those AAMI adds years ago when the spider drops from the sunvisor???

I had a small (though still thought he was huge) drop from the visor while driving many yrs ago.... almost lost it! ended up driving real slow as i couldnt pull over and opened the window and tried to gentley force him out... luck he took my advice and then settled outside on the windscreen! I kept driving after that... musta looked funny to pedestrians

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you put TWO creepy crawly Bombs in your car
wtf no spider survived that and any kids either for a day or two.OVERKILL
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Better get rid of it before it out grows the car itself !!
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #9
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's only a huntsman, geez, he won't hurt you. Give him a chance to escape before you resort to killing him. He's probably been in the car for weeks.
Old 13-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #10
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

I use Mortein bombs in the dog float every 6 months to keep the spiders away - mainly the white tails but I must say, we do the home once a year for flies and those big guys. Seems to stop them coming in rather than killing them. Easy to relocate with a broom if you have to. We had a 12cm one here 2 years ago but in the car - eek.

If you thought the spider was scary, last year a tiger snake came through the dash of a Territory in Melbourne while someone was driving. Now that is heart attack stuff! Spent 20 mins trying to find the photos but need to get on - will look again tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #11
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

no choice but to either burn the car or sell it
*shudder* spiders...
Old 13-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #12
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use mortein surface spray in my cars and it works a treat

I just spray it on all the metal parts under the dash and then sit back and watch the buggers run just need to be carefull of the plastic bits

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #13
RAPID_BA
Banned

I noticed a foul looking spider in my car a few years ago.

I stopped my car at a set of lights and jumped out. it was about 11pm and noone else on the road.

Some lady pulls over and says is all ok. I was sort of embarrassed to say but i told her. She went in head first to get rid of the spider in my car. She was in there head down bum up for a good 10 minutes but couldnt find it. She probably nicked all the coins in my dash whilst she was in there.

Didnt find anything, I drove home knowing it was in there. Bombed the car when i got home and never saw it again. Ended up selling the car so who knows.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #14
GA_0009
Restoration Garage

Try having this hungry bastard knock on your door! lol

1975 XB Falcon Sedan
GA_0009 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #15
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT View Post
If you thought the spider was scary, last year a tiger snake came through the dash of a Territory in Melbourne while someone was driving. Now that is heart attack stuff! Spent 20 mins trying to find the photos but need to get on - will look again tonight.
Need to see these photos.

I would have just bailed while the car was moving. That's an every man for himself moment.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #16
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mate, its a huntsman.....not a bad bone in their body

I got a big one up on the roof in the ducted air con.....I was cleaning the bats (not the flying type but the air con ones) when I had an itch on the back of my right hand, had a look and there was a spider that covered the back of my hand looking back up at me

I put my hand back over to the air con and he moved back in, still there today i think

trouble is I had a spidey "expert" come to get some blades done, I told him about the encounter and he reckons it may be a bird eating spider because of its size......Hmmm! put a different feeling in my gut

but as has been said he will move on if given the right encouragement......maybe lay on the floor of the vehicle and make a noise like a fly and when he comes to eat you........grab him!!!

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #17
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

i used to have a camira paddock bomb. One day i was drifting around in our paddock and TWO huntsmans (who obviously don't like lateral shifts) ran up my throttle foot and under my pants. I was trying to counter-steer while shaking my right leg to get them out and it was good fun.

I lived in the country at the time, they were both the size of my hand, so not fully grown.

I also had one crawl up my arm onto my shoulder one day while i was sitting on the couch.

They're harmless, they eat flies and insects which is good. They'll usually stay out of your way. They gather in cars etc when it's going to rain. My mrs is scared senseless of them and reacts the same way. She saw one climb over the windshield a few years back in her new Fiesta, pulled over and said she was selling the car. When i start laughing (accidentally) she hits me and calls me every name under the sun. That just makes me laugh more. I know i'm not helping so i'll stop talking now.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 13-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #18
Dragoneletra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Man when I was a kid I used to play with the huntsmen spiders that lived in this wattle tree next to the house. Used to put them in the old glass soft drink boittles and stuff.......for some reason they scare the crap out of me now.

BFIII wagon, hoovered, scooped and dropped. Water/meth injected..
Getting the shopping done.....FAST
Build thread:
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11307332

'69 XW Fairmont
bombed 351 cleveland
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11244411

The reason I'll end up divorced
XE FALCON HEARSE build.
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11452342
Dragoneletra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #19
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thou art braver than i Professor , i say let a couple more bombs off just to make sure.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #20
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Ohh, reminds me of the time I was ferrying four girls in my Fairlane during a wedding and a huge huntsman crawled out from behind the sun visor and down the A pillar and the dash to who knows where. We were doing 100 km/h on the freeway and the passengers were panicking and there were a few screams. My fault for keeping the sunroof up overnight.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #21
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyXR6 View Post

Are you a man ?
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #22
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Funny, if it were my car that had the spider, I'd be wanting to find him to both save him from the dangers in there, and to have a look at him!

We've only had a few around our house, but I've seen plenty huntsmen spiders elsewhere. They really are harmless and quite a sight.
I was taking photos of one once and he decided my camera lens was better than the wall he was on!

There was a big 16cm one at my cousins old house on his farm property, he was only just starting to live there at the time permanently so the toilet and fridge were both outside still, and the hotwater system was a boiler! Every time we ran it while staying there, out came spidey to sit on the boiler.

I like spiders haha!
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #23
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #24
Addz08
"FEED IT"

I had one in my old EL years ago, bloody huge, I just put a bomb in there, but I also never found it either..... ahhhhh
BA XR8 UTE ,PACEMAKER 4/1'S,MAGNAFLOW METALCORE CATS,TOYS CUSTOM TWIN 2 1/2 SYSTEM, CAPA TUNE, K&N FILTER, LIGHTENED BILLET STEEL FLYWHEEL, DCS CLUTCH, SS INDUCTIONS BIGMOUTH CAI, 20" FR20 SIMMONS....
Addz08 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #25
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
9 users like this post:
Old 13-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #26
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty View Post
HA, saw that on facebook this morning from I f*&^ing love science.
some of the comments that went with it were gold.
Old 13-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #27
Sinead Phipps

This is my own personal nightmare. I'm not embarrassed to admit (well, not much), that a few years ago I spotted a huntsman in my car and I literally couldn't put it into park (actually surprised I managed to do that) and jump out fast enough. Then I rang Eddy - who, for those of you who take note of Ford vehicle photos in media reports, is usually the one driving the cars in the pics - and made him come and take it away. I'm still living that one down years later. I'm so paranoid that I never ever park my car under a tree - it could be 50 degrees outside and I'll park my car in blazing sun away from anything remotely resembling a home for spiders.

I even went so far as asking our Product Development boss if they could please develop a car that was impossible for spiders to penetrate. You'll be surprised to learn that he just looked at me oddly and shook his head :-)
Sinead Phipps is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 13-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #28
saam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think this thread comes up at least once a year over the summer months..... Still a good laugh though

If it was my missus, she would have left the car on the side of the road, still in drive and ready for someone else to pinch
saam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #29
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Had a snake and its babies in the pano when living on the farm , quite intimidating seeing their little heads sticking out of the empty at the time radio ...doors open for days and lots of poking .
Old 13-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #30
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinead Phipps View Post
This is my own personal nightmare. I'm not embarrassed to admit (well, not much), that a few years ago I spotted a huntsman in my car and I literally couldn't put it into park (actually surprised I managed to do that) and jump out fast enough. Then I rang Eddy - who, for those of you who take note of Ford vehicle photos in media reports, is usually the one driving the cars in the pics - and made him come and take it away. I'm still living that one down years later. I'm so paranoid that I never ever park my car under a tree - it could be 50 degrees outside and I'll park my car in blazing sun away from anything remotely resembling a home for spiders.

I even went so far as asking our Product Development boss if they could please develop a car that was impossible for spiders to penetrate. You'll be surprised to learn that he just looked at me oddly and shook his head :-)
They could do that for you but they'll still find a way in.

Can't say for myself though I've ever had a spider in the car as yet. *touchwood*