Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
lv619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Root cause of RH rear wheel bearing ceasing.

Currently have my car in at the mechanics to get the clutch cable fixed and he has informed me that my RH rear wheel bearing is buggered. Now I am not getting this fixed for the time being until I know exactly what is causing the issue as this is about the 3rd time it has happened in as many years, the latest about 6 months ago (probably only 5000km ago, as I FIFO for work and dont drive it that much). I told the mechanic to have a thorough inspection to find the issue, however i suspect he will just tell me that the whole rear assy needs rebuilding.

*** cars, wheres the nearest boat ramp.

Old 15-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: Root cause of RH rear wheel bearing ceasing.

Sounds like it may have done some drift work into a kerb in another life , normally worn bushes and stuff just kills tyres not bearings . good luck with it

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
T3man
Banned

Is it live axle or IRS?
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
leonbray
Cougar Owner

It can be caused by the diff housing being out of alignment after it has been stretched to fit the diff in.

There was a diff service on the gold coast who had a jig to re-align the housing. Unfortunately I've lost the contact and like you I need to fix a wheel bearing

AUIII XLS with Tickford bits, 1968 XR7 (302W 4v roller cam), 1969 Convertible (302W),
leonbray is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #5
BillC

I had the same issue with my XR8 only it was the left rear. It turnd out to be because of a very slightly buckled wheel, Never felt it when I was driving and it was never mentioned when I had a wheel balance or alignment. The mechanic only noticed it when the car was jacked up at the back and the engine running and in gear. It was quite obviouse when the wheel was turning it was buckled.
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #6
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillC View Post
I had the same issue with my XR8 only it was the left rear. It turnd out to be because of a very slightly buckled wheel, Never felt it when I was driving and it was never mentioned when I had a wheel balance or alignment. The mechanic only noticed it when the car was jacked up at the back and the engine running and in gear. It was quite obviouse when the wheel was turning it was buckled.
Interesting outcome, sound logical and worth keeping in mind. You've had a good run since sorting out the rim?
TE2 #116
Build/Maintenance thread here.
www.fte.ford.com.au lives! 2001 2002
Add a T-series to the Registry HERE
Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
BillC

Its been fine now for about 20,000 ks. My biggest problem was finding a replacement mag. I did find one eventually but it took a few months. I bought some cheap replacements from bob jane whilst i was looking for the mag. They are on my xr6 ute now
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #8
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 

Good info, thanks!
TE2 #116
Build/Maintenance thread here.
www.fte.ford.com.au lives! 2001 2002
Add a T-series to the Registry HERE
Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post