Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #1
Rodge
Banned

Default Toyo Proxes C1S / Dunlop Sport Maxx TT / Michelin Primacy HP ?

Looking at new tyres for my Merc and just thought I'd put it out there and see what people think.

Merc's a lux car and not especially sporty but I like the Kevlar re-inforced sidewalls of the Dunlop Sport Maxx tyres with the additional steering feedback they giveas fitted to my SC GT-P and some more steering feedback wouldn't hurt in the Merc TBH.

For 235/55/17 tyres got a really good price on the new TT version of these which is their touch technology, supposed to be even more steering feedback
$1,299 Kiwi = $A1,000 for a set of 4 fitted balanced and wheel allignment.

Or there's the relatiivly new Toyo Proxes C1S which have been getting really good feedback on some of the tyre review websites. Have a higher wear rating (300) so will outlast the SportMaxx's probably by 30-40% and they'll work out about 10% cheaper to buy, overall running cost will be around 40% lower and as mentioned good reviews.

Original Equipment is Michelin Pilot Primacy, (new updated version is Michelin Primacy HP) and would work out to $1,805 Kiwi =$A1,400. Wet weathewr grip is probably the best of these 3 and longevity of the original set has been pretty good at 42,000 km's, (would have worked out to nearly 50,000 km's if the Mercedes-benz dealer had of rotated them as they should have at service time).

As mentioned this is not a performance car and is not driven in that way, so not looking for the last word in sportiness. Thoughts out of these 3 brands I've shortlisted ?

My gut feeling is that's a really good price on the Dunlop Sport Maxx TT's and it's a known quantity. I have also been happy with grip, (especially in the wet) of the Michelin Pilot Primacy.

Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 
Default Re: Toyo Proxes C1S / Dunlop Sport Maxx TT / Michelin Primacy HP ?

Stick with the Michelins for the wet weather I'd say.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post