Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 28-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Should Ford bring back the single-piece body ute?

What we often forget when we look at the monthly sales for Falcon and Commodore is the effect of the ute sales.

Holden sell around 800 utes a month which are mostly sporty private sales. With the current ute almost 7 years old, we could easily see sales once again go over 1000 units a month once VF is released.

Ford with a cab chassis ute should be the darling of the workhorse market, but with the lack of diesel and ground clearance Ford are more focusing on Ranger for those tool of trade purchases.

Could Ford bring back the traditonal monocoque Falcon ute body and chase sporty private sales and leave Ranger for the rest of the market? A one piece body may just be what Falcon ute needs to justify the return of the XR8 as well as justify the existence of RWD.

Traditional ute body

Last edited by Brazen; 28-10-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 28-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 
Default Re: Should Ford bring back the single-piece body ute?

No.

Having a one piece body just for a sporty or XR8 verison would be a waste of development money.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 28-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
Kryton

People arent buying VE utes because they are one piece, they are buying them because they have Holden written on them - something Ford will never have no matter what it does.
Old 28-10-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

You couldn't do both cab chassis and coupe ute on current sales, so the only logical alternative would be to do only the coupe ute body style. Who's to say the likely sales from that model alone could justify development costs, of which would be significant given they would likely drop the hybrid frame they've used since '99 and with it the leaf sprung live axle.
Old 28-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryton
People arent buying VE utes because they are one piece, they are buying them because they have Holden written on them - something Ford will never have no matter what it does.
Ford up until a few years ago used to thrash Commodore ute sales. Tradies and fleets have moved to diesel and Ford don't offer anything people want for those that are remaining in the sporty ute market.
Old 28-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #6
robbyj
Rob

I use to think some holden utes looked better because the single body, til i could open my eyes a bit more
Old 28-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #7
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

Ford need a v8 ute! Not everybody wants a turbo 6 or an FPV as a workhorse.

Now a AWD TX Territory Daily
P6 Silver Monarch Weekender

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.
Old 28-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #8
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

There's no money and no Business plan justification to make expensive changes to a vehicle running at 500 sales a month.
Old 28-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #9
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

15 years ago yeah. Not now, not in the economic climate. Perhaps someone could photoshop an FG into a coupe/ute like VE?

Last edited by DJM83; 28-10-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 28-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #10
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

I say no. I hear the OP's reasoning, but as Nikked said "it's a waste of development money". I own an Xh ute and I love it, I would love it even more if it had an alloy tray option.

From Fords point of view in manufacturing costs and options the alternative of a styleside or alloy tray is easily accomodated for the end user.

I agree that the monocoque ute body looks better, but it just isn't as practical for a tradies use - isn't that what utes are primarily designed for?

A ute is as close as I'm going to get as far as owning an Aussie two door.

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
Old 28-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #11
Falcman0o7
Banned

No....
Old 28-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #12
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden only sell more utes becuase they have a V8.. End of story!!
Old 28-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #13
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
So the ford 6 Ute outsells the Holden 6 Ute does it?

If I wanted a Ute it would be Holden for sure, imho the Holden is a much better looker than the ford. Plus from the back the ford has hardly changed since the au days, except for lights and those awkward flared rear guards.
6 of one half a dozen of the others really. If you want a workhorse buy the ford, if you want a showpony get the Holden.
An ssv manual Ute would make me pretty happy.
Old 28-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #14
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
There's no money and no Business plan justification to make expensive changes to a vehicle running at 500 sales a month.
With the LCV market over 90% diesel, I can't see how they justify a cab chassis Falcon. Next Falcon ute I'm betting won't be cab chassis, unless they add diesel.
Old 28-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #15
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no...
Old 28-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #16
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford shouldn't be bringing anything back. They should be innovating and creating new products (like a smaller Falcon with hatchback option).
Old 28-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #17
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
Ford shouldn't be bringing anything back. They should be innovating and creating new products (like a smaller Falcon with hatchback option).
Wouldn't that be exactly a mondeo?

BA XR8 Manual
Old 28-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #18
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think ford need to bring back the coupe ute

For no other reason than so people stop calling it the single body ute

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
Old 28-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #19
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think no but here is a quick mock up of one

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO

Last edited by FGII-XR6; 28-10-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 28-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #20
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

No...

The only reason Holden sell more utes is because Ford don't make an XR8 ute anymore and their base model ute looks like crap!! (saving $200 by not colour coding the skirs / rear tub skirt).
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Old 28-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #21
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ford have a V8 ute.

Ford have the fastest V8 ute ever sold in Australia.

Ford also have the fastest 6 cylinder ute, the fastest LPG ute the only car based trayback ute, the only car based 1 tonne ute but unfortunately holden have fans who show their loyalty by spending money on new utes not complaining on the internet.

FG XR8 ute was quicker and more powerful than Holden SS and was the same price yet I would be very surprised if anyone in this thread bought one new.

FPV GS ute is about the same price a SS-V Redline and again none of you have one.

I bought a XR6T ute after driving several SS utes as it was quicker, used less petrol, was more comfortable and as an added bonus had a Ford badge.....

Now on the actual topic of 1 piece body. I believe it is not the 1 piece that is the perceived problem it is the lack of IRS which is the result of designing a chassis that would work for wagon, ute, and 1 tonne ute in all forms which has kept the price down.

Basing a ute on the sedan chassis would be an expensive exercise with doubtful return although basing one on Territory may do better.

One last point, these incredibly well selling V8 utes aren't the ones currently being discounted by up to 30% because no one was buying them are they?
Old 28-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #22
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

I think we'll be lucky to see the Falcon ute continue in its current configuration, let alone expect Ford to invest further on a new body style.

The current split-body ute looks great anyways and offers plenty of flexibility.
I image the utes biggest threat is the Ranger anyways, not commodore ute.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Old 28-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #23
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

adding to flappist's post utes and wagons used as intended ( to carry loads ) are far better with the old leaf springs. leaf springs are far better for carrying loads than coils thats one reason for has stayed with leaf springs

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 28-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #24
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
One last point, these incredibly well selling V8 utes aren't the ones currently being discounted by up to 30% because no one was buying them are they?
The killer blow in a top post.
Old 28-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #25
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't see the point in these utes from Ford & Holden. They are only half of a good ute when compared to real ones such as the Ranger, Amarok, Hilux etc. They go places the Falcon & Commowhore utes will fear to tread.
Old 28-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #26
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Ford have a V8 ute.

Ford have the fastest V8 ute ever sold in Australia.

Ford also have the fastest 6 cylinder ute, the fastest LPG ute the only car based trayback ute, the only car based 1 tonne ute but unfortunately holden have fans who show their loyalty by spending money on new utes not complaining on the internet.

FG XR8 ute was quicker and more powerful than Holden SS and was the same price yet I would be very surprised if anyone in this thread bought one new.

FPV GS ute is about the same price a SS-V Redline and again none of you have one.

I bought a XR6T ute after driving several SS utes as it was quicker, used less petrol, was more comfortable and as an added bonus had a Ford badge.....

Now on the actual topic of 1 piece body. I believe it is not the 1 piece that is the perceived problem it is the lack of IRS which is the result of designing a chassis that would work for wagon, ute, and 1 tonne ute in all forms which has kept the price down.

Basing a ute on the sedan chassis would be an expensive exercise with doubtful return although basing one on Territory may do better.

funny that falcon Ute sales dropped 300ish sales per month when the xr8 was stop....
Old 28-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #27
The Snout

I'd rather Ford drop the sedan and build utes, panelvans and wagons. 3 box is about the most useless variation of the lot.
Old 28-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #28
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
funny that falcon Ute sales dropped 300ish sales per month when the xr8 was stop....
So there was 300ish Ford V8 utes selling per month? Didn't know that

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 28-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #29
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Pfft, More like 50 a month if you ask me.....
The last year of XR8 Ute was 2010 and only 291 were sold in the whole year even though the car was stopped at June 30.
Old 28-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #30
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No... waste of development money as said.

And also there was a thread about the commodore ute being expensive if not uneconomical to repair because the side panel is one piece.

Cab chassis is more useful to tradies, I see a lot more alloy trayed Falcon Utes being used by traides then I do commodore utes around here.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Closed Thread