Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Climate Control Not Working??

Hi all,

As the title suggests the climate control is not working. This is strange as I had it all working perfectly fine the other day. I discovered that since the Fairlane Ghia conversion I had missed 3 blown fuses. I fixed all of these and the climate control began working perfectly.

The other day I was running the car with the heater on full as had been suggested in order to bleed the cooling system. Everything was working fine for about 10mins then my climate control fascia went blank! Dead nothing. Checked the fuses and no go.

Well I was having a fiddle last night and managed to get some life back to it although it still is not working? I now have it displaying although it is flashing at me. It was also clicking similar kind of sound as when an electric ariel is trying to move but can't (this can be heard in the video).

Here is a vid of it.

Any ideas?? Is the actual climate control behind the dash buggered? Or is there a vacuum line come off somewhere?? I have had a good look but short of taking the whole dash out again I am at a loss as to what it could be.

Also, on a side note. I noticed last night that the 2 wideband LC=1 sensors have stopped working? Not too sure if they are related or not as I had wired them straight into the back of the ECU? I have checked all of the connections and they all appear to be perfect still so this one has me completely stumped!

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
BHDOGS
Banned

Default Re: Climate Control Not Working??

Maybe try resetting the climate control otherwise no idea mate
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Anyone got a climate control I can borrow or a car I can throw mine in??

Well as I have been having issues with my climate control I have 2 things I would like to try to try and figure out the cause of the problems. (Unless someone knows what they are?)

Pretty much when all the display lights up. The fan stops. Display goes normal and then the fan starts again?

I have no idea why the hell it is doing this. The other day when I was running it to ensure the cooling system was full (Full heat, full fan) it just flat out stopped!

So what I want to try is putting a known working climate control into my car to determine if it is the display/control or something else. Otherwise I would like to try my Climate control in someone else's car which is known to be working.

So if someone is willing to lend me their Climate control?? I am happy to drive and pick it up/drop it off. Also, if I break it I will buy a refurbished one off ebay ($150) to replace it.

Or If I could bring mine and try it in your car?? I don't believe it will break anything as it was working perfectly fine. Also, was working perfectly well in the Fairlane it originally came out of.

Any help of this would be much appreciated as I really want to sort this out so I can finish the car off and get it back on the road....\

Thanks,

Rhys

Toy Car Build
Old 18-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just a new video showing exactly what the damn thing is doing!

Toy Car Build
Old 18-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

Do you know how to do the reset and self test on it? From memory it is the buttons on the very outside of the unit (as in far left and far right), it should cycle through all the modes.
Old 18-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #6
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Do you know how to do the reset and self test on it? From memory it is the buttons on the very outside of the unit (as in far left and far right), it should cycle through all the modes.

I have tried to find out how to do the reset...I have pressed all the buttons in all combinations however. I will concentrate my efforts on the outside buttons.

Thanks for the info

Toy Car Build
Old 18-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

Stuffed if i can remember exactly which ones but I am sure its a combination of the outside ones. Will cycle through all the screens, all the segments etc will light up etc.
Old 19-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #8
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Rhys, from the video it appears the unit is resetting - maybe because of the current drain from the fan? I would check your earth points. A dodgy earth point would explain the erratic behavior. This can be checked with a volt meter. Place volt meter across earth for CC unit and a known good earth - preferrably the engine block. Replicate the problem as per the video and observe the volt meter. You will soon see if you have a dodgy earth point as there will be voltage reading between the earths.

How did you go with your LC-1s? Check your power source and earths.

Cheers
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #9
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD
Rhys, from the video it appears the unit is resetting - maybe because of the current drain from the fan? I would check your earth points. A dodgy earth point would explain the erratic behavior. This can be checked with a volt meter. Place volt meter across earth for CC unit and a known good earth - preferrably the engine block. Replicate the problem as per the video and observe the volt meter. You will soon see if you have a dodgy earth point as there will be voltage reading between the earths.

How did you go with your LC-1s? Check your power source and earths.

Cheers
Stu
Thanks for the info. I should be able to figure out if this is the issue and then the fun part finding why as it was perfect the other week.

The widebands are still dead? I am wondering if something has failed causing them to be fried? But this I will find out once I check the earth and power for them...Just need to get off work early to find the time to check it all over this week sometime.

Toy Car Build
Old 04-11-2012, 04:48 PM   #10
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok so I have tried the reset on the Climate control to no avail. However, I have some more solid info on what it is doing and this may be the key to figuring the issue out.

When the headlight switch is turned off the climate control works with no issues...

Turn the headlight switch goes on and then the climate control stops working. This is by flashing the entire display and refusing to work.

I am still wondering if there is something in the actual climate control unit which may have failed and is causing this??

Secondly could the BEM have failed and be the cause??

But is there anyone who would be willing to allow me to plug my climate control in your car to see if the actual unit is the item that is not working???

Alternatively does anyone have a climate control unit I can borrow and plug into my car to see if that sorts it out??

Thanks,

Rhys

Toy Car Build

Last edited by bartsau; 04-11-2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Double Post
Old 04-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #11
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsau View Post
Ok so I have tried the reset on the Climate control to no avail. However, I have some more solid info on what it is doing and this may be the key to figuring the issue out.

When the headlight switch is turned off the climate control works with no issues...

Turn the headlight switch goes on and then the climate control stops working. This is by flashing the entire display and refusing to work.

I am still wondering if there is something in the actual climate control unit which may have failed and is causing this??

Secondly could the BEM have failed and be the cause??

But is there anyone who would be willing to allow me to plug my climate control in your car to see if the actual unit is the item that is not working???

Alternatively does anyone have a climate control unit I can borrow and plug into my car to see if that sorts it out??

Thanks,

Rhys
I have a spare climate control unit that I could mail down to you, some of the segments don't light up but it was definitely working when it was pulled.

Shoot me a PM if you don't get anyone local to help you out.
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post