Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-09-2012, 12:22 AM   #1
sirchAU
'mechanically-challenged'

Default T-series style headlight surrounds, and photoshop

I'm getting sick of the look of my aftermarket headlights and want to go back to stock, but with painted bezels to match the grille. At this stage I want black lights to match the black grille which i just repainted recently, but am also considering blue grille/headlights. Can anyone with photoshop skills mock up these combos for me please?

These are the aftermarket headlights.

Anyhow, yesterday I took my old stock headlights apart using the 'how to' in the 'useful threads thread' and managed to get the headlight surrounds/bezels out. Unfortunately I cracked both inside indicator lenses in doing so !

So, I will have to buy another pair of stock headlights (mine were in crap condition anyway and didn't have any of the wiring attached), and then get a professional to take them apart, put the painted bezels in them then put them back together and fit them up. Would a panel beater be best to take them to to do that job? How much you guys reckon it'll set me back? Will probably paint the bezels myself to save money.

Anyhow, some pics:

Headlight surround inserts/bezels

Cracked indicator lenses

Any help/info/photoshop mock ups would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Chris

Old 03-09-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: T-series style headlight surrounds, and photoshop

I did mine

and

and

Mind you I had a chrome bezel not the type you have. Heat the glue and pull slowly apart, be carful not to touch the chrome on the reflector, paint ( I used matt black) and re seal with skikaflex.

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2012, 01:05 AM   #3
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had mine done by a bloke called Scott at the Headlight Hospital (in Doveton), cost me $120 to get them both done, plus I provided the colour matched paint in a rattle can (from Autobarn) to get them in sparkling burgundy.
This was back in 2007 mind you, so the price may be off, but he still comes up in the Yellow Pages if you don't want to do it yourself.
Cheers,
Matt
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #4
sirchAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp
I had mine done by a bloke called Scott at the Headlight Hospital (in Doveton), cost me $120 to get them both done, plus I provided the colour matched paint in a rattle can (from Autobarn) to get them in sparkling burgundy.
This was back in 2007 mind you, so the price may be off, but he still comes up in the Yellow Pages if you don't want to do it yourself.
Cheers,
Matt
Thanks for that, that's not far from my place at all. Might give him a call. Cheers
Old 07-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
T3man
Banned

That headlight joint has closed hasn't it? I seem to remember something about a fire through the place a while back. However there is another place somewhere in Melbourne that do it so I've heard. It's posted on the forum - maybe you could get lucky with the search function - it never seems to do anything for me! LOL. I've pulled a few of my own apart - not too hard if you have a heat gun and a ton of patience.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #6
sirchAU

Manged to get mine apart with a hairdryer... what a PITA! Pity I broke the plastic indicator lenses on both sides though, won't find replacements without buying the whole headlight. Mine were in crap condition anyway I guess so will find another set from a wrecker and get the painted inserts put in. Might have another go at it, now that I've done it once the 2nd time should be easier.

Search function is a bit hit and miss for me too it seems, always end up trawling thru a million different posts to find what I'm looking for!
Old 07-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
Uncle_Ken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I was goign to do a how to from what I did. Take your time and don't rushs I had 6 light I got cheap, and put the best bits together. Check the 2nd hand lights very carefully for cracks, scratches on the plastic lens and the back.

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Old 09-09-2012, 03:18 AM   #8
xr6tjet
[AUT-747]

I'm really interested in having this done professionally also. anybody know somebody who is willing to do the job? Im in melbourne too if that helps.

cheers.
xr6tjet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #9
Uncle_Ken

Finally got around to doing a how to for lights.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...15#post4435515

UK
Old 10-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #10
sirchAU

I remember seeing that guide from MADNC_8 and JC too, yours is a great job as always mate.

Btw, you wouldn't happen to have a few of those old spare headlight bits still lying around would you...?

I'm after the indicator lenses, in particular the RH front, but a L/R pair in decent (uncracked) condition would save me buying a whole new set of headlights. Will cover the cost of postage to VIC 3802 if you do have them? PM me if you can help mate.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 13-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #11
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 

One thing I'd suggest - don't use Sikkaflex to reseal your lights unless you are happy to never be able to get them open again.

I used some Butyl rubber roll used to seal windscreens (from alibaba). It's super easy to use as you simply need to stretch it out as you lay it in the groove. The hard part is removing the old rubber with a heatgun...though lots of people don't bother, they just reheat the old rubber and squeeze them back together with generally no leak results. One of my lights already leaked and I was keen to do it only once, hence the extra effort.
TE2 #116
Build/Maintenance thread here.
www.fte.ford.com.au lives! 2001 2002
Add a T-series to the Registry HERE
Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #12
Uncle_Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirchAU
I remember seeing that guide from MADNC_8 and JC too, yours is a great job as always mate.

Btw, you wouldn't happen to have a few of those old spare headlight bits still lying around would you...?

I'm after the indicator lenses, in particular the RH front, but a L/R pair in decent (uncracked) condition would save me buying a whole new set of headlights. Will cover the cost of postage to VIC 3802 if you do have them? PM me if you can help mate.

Cheers,
Chris
Mate be happy to if I still had them. It took me that many to get a good pair. They either had broken backs, scratched lens etc. My car goes in tomorrow, and both the headlights I did are broken at the holders so thye will be write offs. I'm going to ask they give them to me, if they the lens is any good you can have it.
UK
Old 14-09-2012, 12:03 AM   #13
sirchAU

Thanks Ken, all good mate.

Put my one good headlight back together yesterday. Seems putting it back together is much easier than taking it apart. Ended up just reheating the rubber adhesive that was in the channel and using it again, as well as a bit of extra black Silastic sealant I had lying around. Hopefully it is sealed well enough to keep the leaks out, I made sure to be very thorough.

The indicator lens on this one wasn't too badly cracked and still clipped in nice and tight. Unfortunately the other one is stuffed... as well as the cracked indicator lens, it's outer casing is scratched and chipped, and some goose put fingerprints all over the reflector (ooops!). Definitely time for a new one.

Anyone got a spare RH side headlight in good condition for cheap??
Old 14-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #14
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Quote:

I do, I'll shoot you a PM when I get home tonight/tomorrow and will let you know.
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #15
Uncle_Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride
I do, I'll shoot you a PM when I get home tonight/tomorrow and will let you know.
I love this forum, well done.
UK
Old 14-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #16
Uncle_Ken

Quote:
Thanks Ken, all good mate.

Put my one good headlight back together yesterday. Seems putting it back together is much easier than taking it apart. Ended up just reheating the rubber adhesive that was in the channel and using it again, as well as a bit of extra black Silastic sealant I had lying around. Hopefully it is sealed well enough to keep the leaks out, I made sure to be very thorough.

The indicator lens on this one wasn't too badly cracked and still clipped in nice and tight. Unfortunately the other one is stuffed... as well as the cracked indicator lens, it's outer casing is scratched and chipped, and some goose put fingerprints all over the reflector (ooops!). Definitely time for a new one.

Well done looks good, I like the black.
Uk
Old 15-09-2012, 03:05 AM   #17
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

reminds me of my old ones on the work ute ... with projectors.

Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #18
Uncle_Ken

I remember those !
UK
Old 15-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #19
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k

I like the look of the shrouds, did you have much trouble getting coverage over the projector? What shrouds are those? I went with a different setup with interesting, but by no means amazing results...they do seem to 'float' within the headlight.
TE2 #116
Old 15-09-2012, 09:48 PM   #20
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Quote:

Don't spose you've got those squirreled away in the garage/cupboard by any chance?
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #21
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I swapped them with HLC. When i traded the ute in ... and I think he ran HIDs behind them afterwards ... not sure if he kept them or on-sold them with his AU after he moved to Perth.

These were done by the Headlight Hospital ... and picked them up in Melbourne from The Doc when the masive AU meet was on several years back.

They utilised NC Fairlane projectors ... they were OK ... but there's gotta be better units out there now.

I was only using halogen in them.

I have a few beam shots against walls and stuff ... they did provide a flatter beam and seemed better coverage-wise than the standard reflectors .... but the main lighting was in the centre and you could tell ... brightness waned as it spread out to the edges ... the centres were more of a hot spot .... and I think this is the same for EF/EL XR projectors.

SilverT2TE50 .... I like the shrouds on yours ... got some beam shots???
Old 15-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #22
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Some beam pics.

I had highbeam sorted though ... Lightforce 240s ... I used to live in a rural area

Old 15-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #23
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Damn I miss that ute ... many a good time in it.
Old 16-09-2012, 09:17 AM   #24
Uncle_Ken

Quote:
Damn I miss that ute ... many a good time in it.
OK Define 'good times' and do you have any pics?
UK
Old 16-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #25
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Quote:

SilverT2TE50 .... I like the shrouds on yours ... got some beam shots???
Actually I don't. I should do some...

The below pic are the same setup, although they are LHD and I don't have them aimed the same way as this person has done. Mine are set to the same height each side with a couple of degrees tilt away from oncoming traffic (I'd not bother with this again).

Once you've had HID in projectors, there's no going back that's for sure...
TE2 #116
Old 16-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #26
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverT2TE50
Once you've had HID in projectors, there's no going back that's for sure...

I can totally understand that.
Old 16-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #27
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken
OK Define 'good times' and do you have any pics?
UK
I have no incriminating footage .... sorry.
I had more open roads to enjoy in it ... played with it more than the BF too.
Overloaded it many times ... and it still came back for more.

Was just a shame it came to a point where it kept overheating .... even after replacing everything in the cooling system .... it was frustrating ... and I needed a ute to work. Shame really ... if it wasn't for that ... I would have kept it for a lot longer.

Was funny getting guys at loading docks ask why I was driving a V8 as a courier ... that Stg 2 cam sounded nice at idle at running temp ... had a lovely lope to it and it rocked the ute side to side. Ahhhhh memories.
Old 16-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #28
xr6tjet
[AUT-747]

anyone know of somebody who would be professionally able to modify AU headlights with a projector or something ? very interested to change my headlights they are just too stock !

cheers.
xr6tjet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2012, 11:45 PM   #29
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6tjet
anyone know of somebody who would be professionally able to modify AU headlights with a projector or something ? very interested to change my headlights they are just too stock !

cheers.
MAD is a forum member and in Melbourne's outer East. He's the man to talk to. He's done several mail-order mods to various model headlights. They arrive plug'n'play with ballasts, looms, everything you need.

On your rig, I'd try body colour painted inserts and chrome shrouds, probably the same style as mine (Porsche Cayenne Turbo 'inspired') as its hard to find anything else that suits the big AU lamps. He can fit halos to them if you like that look. He's also done coloured LED parkers behind the projector which look amazing and sure will fix those 'stock looking blues' that you have!

Al
TE2 #116
Old 17-09-2012, 12:11 AM   #30
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Glenn's old AY002 had body coloured trim pieces in side his headlights .... I think his colour was Sparkling Burgundy ... it looked awesome. Much better than black would look.

Sorry ... Regency Red he had: