Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
Dosing Madman
Starter Motor

Default Much needed serves of my new car

Hey guys,
Few weeks ago I brought an au 1 wagon with 260km on the clock. It's well over due for a serves and I'm going to try and do everything the best I can. Get it back into shape and hopefully keep it running for a bit longer.

First off changing the oil and filter, thinking of going 10w40 Synthetic, any brands or thoughts on oil. The oil is dirty as and I don't know when it was last changed, ive seen some motor cleaners you Put in with the oil. Should I think of doing something like that before I change the oil?

Spark plugs, read NGK Irridiums are the best? Ideas or brands I should get.

Injector cleaner, should I run this?

Change the auto oil and the filter.

What else should I do, to try and get it back to new?
Thanks

Last edited by Dosing Madman; 19-07-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Dosing Madman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 
Default Re: Much need serves of my new car

I personally wouldn't bother with the iridium spark plugs...they will last longer between changes but won't necessarily perform any better...just use the regular ones and change them when you change your oil...that way you know how your plugs are performing.

Put some injector cleaner through it but don't pin your hopes on it fixing any major issues...better off replacing the fuel filter and having your injectors cleaned properly at a workshop. Especially with the amount of k's on the car and if it's been running regular unleaded all it's life, chances are it will make a good bit of difference.

Full auto flush would be the go, not just a partial flush...

Engine oil - if it's been running synthetic beforehand, then keep using it...if you don't know, I'd use regular mineral oil or semi-synthetic at best...

AU1's take 5w30, so I'd personally stick with this or even 5w40.
My AU3 has just ticked over 250K, I changed the oil around 5000kms ago with 10w30 as per OEM spec and have had zero issues.

However I'd also suggest flushing the engine oil a couple of times.
Get a couple of bottles of engine oil flush (Nulon, Wynns doesn't matter - whatever is on special) and some cheap 20w50 oil (even the 4L supermarket stuff).

Once the car is on stands/ramps...add the first bottle of oil flush to the current oil...let it idle for 5-10 mins and then drain. Then you can add the cheap 20w50 and the second bottle of oil flush...use this to flush out any more gunk that's in there...let it idle for 25-30 mins, lifting the revs for 10 seconds every 5 mins to help it circulate...

Then drain all that stuff out (you'll notice it should most likely be pitch black like the original stuff) and then chuck in the good stuff and off you go.

If you're really concerned, get another bottle of cheap oil & flush and you can flush the engine out a second time...

I got the directions from the Mainline section on engine oil flushing:
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11257526

Tell us about the new wagon...put up some photos...and what (if any) are your plans for it?
Old 19-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #3
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I agree with dave987654321 - iridiums aren't necessary. I get 50k out of regular boring NGK's and i've got LPG!!1
Old 19-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
I agree with dave987654321 - iridiums aren't necessary. I get 50k out of regular boring NGK's and i've got LPG!!1
haha I need to change my name
Old 19-07-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
2002au
Define definitive

For oil flush I recommend liqui moly engine detox. Awesome stuff.
For oil I use nulon 10w40, comes in a 6L bottle too
BF F6 TYPHOON in NEO #718 ~ 356rwkw :
BF XR6 TURBO in SILHOUETTE
2002au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave987654321
haha I need to change my name
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=4156
Old 19-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #7
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Agree with Dave about everything. I'd use 10/40 though, for your engine oil, not 5w/30. With your car having done that many kays, I'd say the engine is a little worn.

Ford noticed that 5w/30 would burn off a bit quick over 10,000 kays, so your older engine would use a bit IMO. Better to go for 10w/40, or even 15w/40 or 10w/50. Your choice of course.

Also, I'd give your diff oil a change, clean the IAC/ISC and throttle body, change the O2 sensor, flush your brakes and give your auto trans connectors a bit of a clean.

Changing Diff Oil
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...7&postcount=42

Cleaning ISC/IAC Valve
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...9&postcount=43

Cleaning Throttle Body
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...2&postcount=48

Changing Fuel Filter
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...3&postcount=37

Inspecting and Cleaning Auto Transmission Connectors
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...0&postcount=86

Brake Bleeding
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...7&postcount=49

Changing O2 Sensors
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpo...5&postcount=127

All the best with it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2012, 11:00 PM   #8
Dosing Madman
Starter Motor

Tha is for all the help!!

Ill try and put some photos up tomorrow. I've got some plans but nothing to huge, getting my ba xr6t back on the road.

Plans so far, probably forgot some but I'll try and list them off the top of my head
What I've brought so far
Ba xr6 wheels painted in black
Black center console
Black auto stick and hand brake
K and n panel filter
Xr8/fpv snorkel
Front of the air box cut out(just done that today)
The bit that goes from the throttle body to the air box from a ba, should be here tomorrow.

Thing I'm looking out for
Front lowered spring and rear leaf spring(I missed a set on eBay that went for 120!!! So angry I missed them)
Black Leather front and back with door cards(also missed on eBay but might have some seats)
Black dash(might have it lined up)
Black carpet(found 2 places that do brand new)
Elect windows
Au s2 upright, lower control arm, sway bay, calliper
Headers(watching in eBay)
Cat back with high flow cat(just before I brought the car went on eBay for 40!! 2.5inch)
New disk and pads
Down the track I plan on respraying myself.

If I can find nice and cheap
au2/3 bonnet in galaxy
The grill that's mesh and ford badge In the middle
Doors if they have elect in galaxy
Front and back bumper in galaxy if good cond
Te50 front (dreaming lol)
All the items above when I respray if I haven't gotten them yet will buy then.

That's all I can think of right now, sorry for grammar and spelling i pretty mug always post off my phone
Old 21-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #9
Dosing Madman
Starter Motor

I'm going to head down to auto barn a little later on, I'll get oil, oil filter, spark plugs, engine cleaner x2, should I get leads?

I'll do diff and auto maybe next weekend.

Also is it worth for the time been getting injected cleaner untill I can get it done proply?
Old 21-07-2012, 03:21 PM   #10
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosing Madman
I'm going to head down to auto barn a little later on, I'll get oil, oil filter, spark plugs, engine cleaner x2, should I get leads?

I'll do diff and auto maybe next weekend.

Also is it worth for the time been getting injected cleaner untill I can get it done proply?
You won't do any damage and you might do some good! Give it a go I reckon.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 12:49 AM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you think the other stuff may have been neglected, i would be giving the cooling system a birthday too, the cooling system is usually the first thing that will have you on the side of the road, check hoses for leaks, deterioration, drive belt, cooling system corrosion inhibitor/coolant, if it was mine i would flush the old coolant/inhibitor out and put in fresh stuff.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #12
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

With regards to injecter cleaner,theres alot of crap out there! Depending on how much you want spend can i suggest going for something like nulon's total fuel cleaner,redline sl-1 or techron total fuel system cleaner. I'd go the redline first as its got the good stuff in it. Love your username-been in rehab? lol only joking mate!

cheers,Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #13
Day-mow
rexnet

Also your cat if it's original is proberly blocked or close to. Maybe replace it with a metal core cat.

Cooling system for flush out.
As 2002AU said nulon oil and liquid Molly engine cleaner is amazing.
Clean air filter helps a lot with good fuel economy.

And a final warning do not get diff oil on you. It smells like death and is very hard to get out of what you get it on. ESP if it's old and burnt.
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post