Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
Kryton

Default Fibregalss body panels and ADR's - also abit about new Vic RWC's too.

OK general question before the back ground.
Are fibreglass panels ADR approved?
For example, on an FJ40, you can buy every single panel in fibreglass, even the side walls, the roof and the tub itself if you really wanted to.
Now, for a RWC, would fibreglass side panels, even though they would be considered a structural part of the car, be legal for road use and pass a RWC?
I ask as i have a HJ45 and it had rust in the 'B' pillars next to the door striker plates (on the side wall section that bolts off and can be driven around legally without that and the roof).
I have filled these holes with Metal Mend (look it up - you can drill it, mill it, tap it, sand it, fix cracks in engine block etc - its like metal when it hardens) and the RWC has said that being a structural part of the vehicle, it needs to be welded and plated.
He has also handed me a new Vicroads form to be completed by an accredited panel beater who has to inspect the repairs to state that the vehicle is structurally sound.
My argument is that it isnt part of the structure as i can remove that whole section, along with the roof and still be legally allowed to drive it on the road.
You can also by these parts in fibreglass which have no structural integrity at all, which you could argue are even less safe than the repair i did myself.
What are peoples thoughts on this?
Is it worth arguing the point further?

Also, for those people of Vic that dont know, or havent had a RWC in the last 4 weeks, new laws have come out and it WILL be harder to get a RWC.
ANY vehicle that has had ANY rust repaired at all, will need to be inspected by a qualified panel beater (who deals with insurance agencies - even says on the form), to make sure that that vehicles repairs are of good quality, are as good as the manufacturers structural integrity and so on and so forth.
This isnt just for Repairable Write Offs, this is for ANY vehicle that is being presented for inspection.
If you decide to go and spray any sound deadener under the car, you know that stuff that is on there from factory, you will be made to remove it before it will pass.
There was also some talk about any previous repairs done by previous owners, receipts need to be kept and shown at the RWC - this isnt just for VIVs, this is any repairs.

Now, before anyone starts jumping up and down saying that im talking carp - go and ask your local tester about the new laws and what it takes to get a RWC now in Vic.
This isnt just the tester that i used being difficult, this is now state wide and it WILL affect you next time you want a RWC for anything that isnt brand new.

Looks like the government is getting their way and removing old cars off the road without anyone noticing or making a fuss about it.

Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2011, 09:31 PM   #2
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Fibregalss body panels and ADR's - also abit about new Vic RWC's too.

There is nothing in the ADR about what materials a car is made of.

Plenty of factory cars come out made of fibreglass or with fibre glass panels.

The only thing is structure... side intrusion on doors etc.... and remember a car only needs to meet the ADR standard of when it was built.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...ign/index.aspx

If it was ceritfied to have the roof removed and door pillars then you need to argue the point that its not structural.

As for the rest of the new rules it certainly sounds sus in all respects.
But then how do they prove when the car was repaired and by whom?
How do they know what is "factory" on a 30yr old car? or even a new one for that matter...

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2011, 09:38 PM   #3
IDT
Marko

Default Re: Fibregalss body panels and ADR's - also abit about new Vic RWC's too.

There is no doubt they are trying to get rid of old (and in general terms unsafe) cars on our roads. I don't necessarily agree with all of the rules, but for just one moment forget that its the government and imagine you are the inspector signing off that it is safe, how could you do an inspection if its hidden?
Old 26-10-2011, 11:09 PM   #4
stang65
FPRJET

if it comes from a car manufacturer as original equipment it will be o.k.
if it is made by an aftermarket company it most likely would need to have paperwork stating that it is ADR approved. Unless there is legislation stating before a certain build period it is not required.
Old 26-10-2011, 11:27 PM   #5
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

I have a fiberglass bonnet on my FG ute also had one on my BF F6 sedan both have compliance and were tagged with the vin number off my car.
Link to Bonnet thread.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11301733

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2011, 11:01 AM   #6
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang65
if it comes from a car manufacturer as original equipment it will be o.k.
if it is made by an aftermarket company it most likely would need to have paperwork stating that it is ADR approved. Unless there is legislation stating before a certain build period it is not required.
What he said.
If it comes from a reputable company, it will have documents stating it meets side intrusion and mounting strength requirements.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2011, 09:39 PM   #7
olds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it can be removed remove it and present it for roadworthy. It only has to be roadworthy if fitted. Like a spare tyre
olds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #8
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds
If it can be removed remove it and present it for roadworthy. It only has to be roadworthy if fitted. Like a spare tyre
Tempting.
I have the rear wall and roof off at the moment anyway.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post