Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-10-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
nasss92

Default Proposed Heritage listing for Eastern Creek Raceway - assignment

I am attending the University of New South Wales studying a Bachelor of Planning degree (town planning). For the subject Planning History, Heritage and the Built Environment we have been tasked with preparing a "heritage proposal to council, for a site of town planning significance" . As an avid motorsport enthusiast, i thought it perfect to choose Eastern Creek Raceway, as the last remaining site for mainstream motorsport use in Sydney and NSW.

Im looking for some assistance in finding sources to attain any information regarding the History and Heritage of the site (legitimate sources please) . Inclusive of any documents related to council zoning and future development proposals

As im sure many on this forum would have had more extensive interaction with the motorsport scene at Eastern creek since its inception in 1989 than i have, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers in advance, Nath

nasss92 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2011, 06:50 PM   #2
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Default Re: Proposed Heritage listing for Eastern Creek Raceway - assignment

Heritage? Eastern Creek Raceway?

That doesnt make sense to me. IIRC a "Heritage" Listed property has to beyond something like 1950 or further.

Had to do an assignment on 3 Heritage listed properties in TAFE back in the early 2000's, for my Buiding design & Technology Diploma.

Besides, if I also Remember correctly, once a property is heritage listed, it cannot be altered unless the alterations keep in style & taste to the era & neighbouring street frontages. So attempting to Heritage list the raceway means no cutting edge designs & alterations to keep up with safety standards required by cams, ANDRA, (if there is a drag track, which I think there is) or other associated saftey or government bodies.

Im not seeing a true "logical" choice in your selection, but maybe Im wrong here......
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
nasss92

A proposal does not have to be from a specific time frame ie pre 1950s.. it is specific about having a unique quality that is uncommon and has to be protected ie. - one criteria for national heritage listing
Quote:
the place has outstanding heritage value to the nation because of the place's strong or special association with a particular community or cultural group for social, cultural or spiritual reasons
Said site is also subject to a "significance threshold" established by the local council

http://www.environment.gov.au/herita.../criteria.html
http://www.environment.gov.au/herita...uidelines.html

Quote:
Heritage listing does not prohibit any future change, rather it provides the framework within which changes
can occur.
- http://www.thehills.nsw.gov.au/Ignit...ean%5B1%5D.pdf

Maybe things have changed CONUNDRUM.. my understanding is that the site can remain as it does now functionally and with respect to development, a heritage listing merely allows for it to carry a more significant planning title. The effect of which would help to ensure it is managed correctly (including future development) and its future is guaranteed more-so than it would be otherwise (allowing a stronger case for planning intervention should everything turn bottoms up and reduce its capacity to end up a housing estate like oran park)
Old 18-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #4
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heritage???

I insured the construction of the project in the early 90's I cant be that old.
hawke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2011, 07:23 PM   #5
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum
Heritage? Eastern Creek Raceway?

That doesnt make sense to me. IIRC a "Heritage" Listed property has to beyond something like 1950 or further.

Had to do an assignment on 3 Heritage listed properties in TAFE back in the early 2000's, for my Buiding design & Technology Diploma.

Besides, if I also Remember correctly, once a property is heritage listed, it cannot be altered unless the alterations keep in style & taste to the era & neighbouring street frontages. So attempting to Heritage list the raceway means no cutting edge designs & alterations to keep up with safety standards required by cams, ANDRA, (if there is a drag track, which I think there is) or other associated saftey or government bodies.

Im not seeing a true "logical" choice in your selection, but maybe Im wrong here......
WISD dates from the early/mid 2000's, so it isnt exactly a heritage site either.

Something like Oran Park (now closed and redeveloped), one of the various old sporting grounds dating from the early 20th century or something like the ANZAC Rifle Range would probably be better choices.

To give more relevance to your topic you could choose something around the state (not necessarily in Sydney) that is at risk of closure or redevelopment.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2011, 07:36 PM   #6
nasss92

http://www.heritagespace.com.au/comp...efaq/?view=faq

this might also shed light on the criteria for heritage listing

i understand there are other sites i could have chosen, but:
1. i am limited greatly by about 100 sites that have previously been chosen
2. i believe despite its apparent young age (so far as heritage goes), the site is significant to planning, both with respect to its local context in sydney and to its greater context for maintaining a motorsport culture in NSW and Australia
3. its not a real proposal but an exercise to establish the framework and process of setting up a proposal to council
4. its my choice, its different and its something i enjoy knowing more about and doing as a project
Old 18-10-2011, 07:39 PM   #7
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Come on guys... he is after info... its for an assignment.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2011, 09:14 PM   #8
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Come on guys... he is after info... its for an assignment.
I know, I wasnt criticising his choice, simply asking question in regards to the validity & reasoning behind that choice, & whether or not that it would fill the critera for the said assignment.

Like I said, I am rusty when it comes to the heritage aspect of things. Its not an area I have have experience in since completing my course, I moved into the Mainstream Project Homes area of housing. Like I said, almost 10 years & rusty. But I wasnt far off in the way that changes could be made, just a "framework" as it is specified would need to be drawn up & applied & adhered to.

IMO, with what you have provided, its still borderline, but within the critera. I can undertand that. I liked to push the boudary with my assingments too. Shows that your not just following the rest of the sheep.......

OK. Off the top of my head, racing paraphernalia. There is plenty of information that would be available in regards to ECR in racing records. im sure that there is some online stuff, but I cant quite remember where. Try googling it, then work from there.

Straight out of the bat, there is

http://www.eastern-creek-raceway.com/ you might even be able to contact the circuit directly, & ask for the appropriate information you require. (In their best interests, they SHOULD help you).

The other way is to see what events the track has held inits history & try & work from sources associated from those events.

So there is V8Supercars (formally AVESCO that ran the ATCC) 07-5630 0364 or www.v8supercars.com

Its also (IIRC) Hosted rounds of the Australian Superbike Championship, & Also a number of Rock Concerts. (And a small section of the biggest loser, if that helps! ). As well as the Australian Motorcycle GP for a few years.

Maybe council records, (Im sure you were already looking at that if you havent already).

Might be a few starting points there.

IF you get knocked back chasing a lead on any information through a "Source" ask if there is any other avenue that "they" can recommend to aquire information from. Dont just write off a lead, keep pushing. Being a student they may just brush you aside because your "not worth their time." (They may not say that too you, but sometimes you can hear it in their voice)

I still get it in a particular field that I am trying to move into as the next part of my career. Keep pushing. & Dont give up. You never know, this might actually come around to acutally pass in the future, at which point you can just dust off your assignment as a basis for the real thing. Yes similar things have happened before. & Im not joking.

Good Luck
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.

Last edited by Revolver; 18-10-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2011, 09:32 AM   #9
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

Eastern Creek Raceway was built & operated for a period by the NSW Government, it is still owned by the NSW Government, but is now managed & operated under a trust sort of agreement by the Australian Racing Drivers Club (ARDC).
Contact the NSW Sport & Rec. department in the Government or the ARDC, to get all the history. Most of the ARDC management should be able to give you the history. Their contact details are on the web site http://www.ardc.com.au, could give you a few names but can't think who'd be best, being a member of the club I should know? If you wanted someone famous, Allan Moffat's a ARDC board member, but not sure if he knows the full history about Eastern Creek though.
cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2011, 10:18 AM   #10
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
WISD dates from the early/mid 2000's, so it isnt exactly a heritage site either.
It's more challenging to assess something this recent because it's not as easy establishing the context. Don't forget the Sydney Opera House went up for listing a few years ago - and even got onto the World heritage list.

Movable heritage is listed too. I'm sure the original Holden might be on a national list and there could be a case for the original Falcon. The remains of the Ford factory at Homebush and BMC factory at Zetland are listed.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post