Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-07-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
supergogomobile
Starter Motor

Default My horn won't stop sounding!

Hi

I just replaced my steering wheel on my BA. Reconnected all the wiring from the airbag etc. However whenever I try to reconnect the battery my horn won't stop sounding. Any ideas of what I might have done wrong?

thanks

supergogomobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2011, 06:37 PM   #2
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: My horn won't stop sounding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergogomobile
Hi

I just replaced my steering wheel on my BA. Reconnected all the wiring from the airbag etc. However whenever I try to reconnect the battery my horn won't stop sounding. Any ideas of what I might have done wrong?

thanks
Pull the horn fuse at least so you can drive your car.

SOunds like you may have damaged the clock spring (wound coil of wire that connects your horn, airbag, volume and cruise control buttons). Either that, or you have a bad contact where the horn switch.actually is

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
fmc351
let it burn

I remember a horn pad on an e series, inside the horn pad is two plates of metal that are glued together with a sheet of material similar to the roof lining foam which had perished, and the plates were touching, so it was like your hand was constantly on the horn.

Not sure if BA is similar, never looked.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #4
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...highlight=horn

The horn and airbag is a complete unit. I replaced it myself, but needed a special tool. It is a security / airbag type allen key with a 5 or 6 point head (the non standard number!) which also has an indent / hole in it. There are 2 screws/bolts on either side of the steering column with covers / caps over them.

I bought a second hand complete unit (airbag / horn / centre) from my local Ford wrecker. Cost $50 18mths ago.

A mechanic will know how to do it, should take 15minutes. 5 minutes is the safety precaution of disconnecting battery. Apply brakes to remove any electrical energy stored.

If you do it yourself, just be careful with the cruise control and airbag/horn wires. Airbags are an explosive device!

Reason for replacement was horn coming on randomly. Did it a couple of times. Cause: Due to my AU being parked on the street the heat build up in the car eventually deteriorates the foam insulation between the contact points of the horn button.
_____

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2011, 10:27 PM   #5
supergogomobile
Starter Motor

Thanks guys.

Well I pulled the horn/airbag unit off the steering wheel and reinstalled it again and it works fine now.

Seems I just forgot to tuck the 2 wires which come out of the steering column under their appropriate clips which are located on the back of the horn/airbag which might not have left enough of a gap between the back of the horn unit and the steering wheel and caused it to prematurely beep? I don't know, but thanks again!
supergogomobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
Reaper8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have a similar problem with me AU but the horn is not constant but more like an alarm on off on off. it wassitting in the sun and went off and havnt been able to fix so pulled the wires off the horns. find out what it is one day and fix it
Reaper8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper8
i have a similar problem with me AU but the horn is not constant but more like an alarm on off on off. it wassitting in the sun and went off and havnt been able to fix so pulled the wires off the horns. find out what it is one day and fix it
That was exactly the cause of my problem. That was also my fix until i bought the second hand airbag / horn boss for $50 from a wreckers. Fitted it in under 20 minutes with the right tools. A mechanic can fit it for about $30. See my post further up.

Retrotech thread
Old 02-08-2011, 11:08 AM   #8
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergogomobile
Thanks guys.

Well I pulled the horn/airbag unit off the steering wheel and reinstalled it again and it works fine now.

Seems I just forgot to tuck the 2 wires which come out of the steering column under their appropriate clips which are located on the back of the horn/airbag which might not have left enough of a gap between the back of the horn unit and the steering wheel and caused it to prematurely beep? I don't know, but thanks again!
Happy to help. If it does it again. Go the second hand airbag / born boss.

PS I reckon it is more likely with cars that are exposed to excessive sun. eg non-garaged.

Retrotech thread