Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 01:15 AM   #1
IH8HSV
XR6T 400kw(well one day!)

Default Why drive a 4wd in the city?

Hi fellas...

Since I live out of the metropolitan area, I'm lucky that I don't have to drive in and around the city everyday.

However In the past 2 weeks Ive been forced to drive to Perth and in & around the city for most days.

My grunt is: I cant believe how many near misses Ive had with 4wds. I'm no where bias against people driving 4wds - but I have had some really bad run ins with them lately.

I personally don't see why you need to drive these things in the city, with there limited vision. Not to mention how hard people seem to have parking them. Where in Perth do you need to engage the gear box into 4wd???

I thought I was just unlucky to have so many bad encounters with them but it seems so many do in the city. I could add 50+ links on the negativity of them - mainly about the damage they can to do to pedestrians and other cars... But I'm not here to do that.

Im just surprised why people use such a big vehicle in the city. Not to mention the high fuel costs, registration costs and the cost to service them.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:46 AM   #2
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

They feel safer, better driving position, possibly space, status or maybe cos they like the look?
Deal's with camrys and cabs better? Makes people steer clear of them? Keeping up with the joneses? Allows to mount the kerb easier since they cant park?

Beats me...

Subaru Outback '02
Old 03-03-2011, 01:47 AM   #3
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's so the mothers can feel "safe" when they drop the kids off at school.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:50 AM   #4
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My dads had 4wds for ages. He never goes off road.

He chooses them for boot space, driving position and for going on holidays...just happens to work in the city though.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:54 AM   #5
J.Molloy
Territorial

I've only got a territory so, soft/city4wd, but the reason I've got mine is I like to take it down the beach whenever i get out of the city or back up to gero and can't afford to have a car for just city driving aswell, but I know where your coming from re. soccer mums with Landcruisers, just dangerous
Old 03-03-2011, 01:54 AM   #6
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I have a Rav4 and it is great to drive, has great vision and is easy to park.

It has NEVER been 4wding. That is all about to change though About time I took it offroad
Old 03-03-2011, 01:56 AM   #7
fmc351
let it burn

Apart from the above answers, maybe for some its matter of only owning one car, and they occasionally want to go off road, tow a boat/caravan. When they go to the city, or home if they live there, by default its in a 4x4. Maybe they own another car, but today the wife/hubby/kids has it.

edit: ninjad
Old 03-03-2011, 02:16 AM   #8
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why does anyone own anything???

Because they want to!!!!

I have a 4X4 and I live in the city, why does that have to concern anyone, it is no one elses business what car I drive in the city.

I can drive it with no issues, and I can park it with no issues and so can my wife.

Just because I live in the city I can not drive into the country???

Some reasons why I like it:
Great visibility, comfort, great for interstate trips, safety aspect for my family with idiots driving small buzz boxes and running into other cars, fits all my camping gear into it, fits all my hunting gear in it, gets me to my favourite camping spot, gets me out of my favourite camping spot after it rained all night and the track turned to crap, can tow a trailer or boat with ease, gets me places my car can not when I go hunting, gets me to my favourite fishing spot, great to transport car parts in.......just to mention a few.

My wife generally drives it day to day as she feels safer in it and and prefers the fact when she parks it at the shops anyone that runs into it or opens the door into it will damage their car rather than ours due to side steps and bull bars and tow bars, had a guy run into her a while ago (nose to tail) nil damage on our 4X4, the Honda needed to be towed, with the whole front end written off including a smashed windscreen from the bonnet getting pushed back.

The Honda driver said to the wife do you what my details, the wife said, "looks like you been punished enough, I got to get to work"
Nil damage on out 4x4

Last edited by XB GS 351 Coupe; 03-03-2011 at 02:23 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:51 AM   #9
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I drive my 4x4 in the city. I can, I want to and I don't have to have a reason to do it. I have better visibility than I do when I am driving a regular car. I can park it just fine. Would it make it any better if I were driving a 2wd model? The funny thing is, most 4x4s sold in Australia are shorter than a station wagon! They are not much wider (if at all) either. Even a big bus or truck fits inside a car lane. You don't need to engage in 4x4 in the city. That's why they have a 2wd mode!!! Sorry, but this is not about safety, this is about the tall poppy syndrome. If you really have had that many "near-misses" (I think you really mean to say "near crashes" if you nearly missed them, doesn't that mean you actually crashed, but nearly missed?)? Anyway, if you had that many close calls, I would question your driving. "Not to mention the high fuel costs, registration costs and the cost to service them" Well you did mention those things, and I thought the cost of fuel was the same for every car (given the same fuel station, time, day etc), but anyway if you are complaining about fuel economy, then you wouldn't be as opposed to a diesel 4x4 as you would be to a V8 car. So, as long as you are being fair here, then you might want to start advocating everyone to buy a Prius. Certainly don't consider a Falcon XR6T with 400kw!

"In Australia, a tall poppy is a successful person or achiever who, as a result, is the target of jealousy and grudging remarks. The goal is to make everyone the same, but the result is no one strives to be great or believes that change is possible. This contains my thoughts on being a foreigner in Australia."
(2010). Tall Poppy Syndrome. Retrieved from http://tallpoppysyndrome.blogspot.com/
Old 03-03-2011, 03:24 AM   #10
JG65TE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its the only car that i own , so I take it everywhere....
Old 03-03-2011, 03:31 AM   #11
Maggot
Half an aussie garage!!

We have 4 kids and owning a van is just sad..
Old 03-03-2011, 04:30 AM   #12
bungarra

Some may have them issued for work vehicles, tow the boat, better than the family van type vehicles or maybe I just want to be a road warrior and run down some innocent women and children!!
Old 03-03-2011, 05:29 AM   #13
Kryton

Maybe the O.P is the issue.
Maybe its time to consider some advanced driving lessons instead of trying to push your beliefs that 4WD dont belong on the road with everyone else.
Id hate to see how you handle trucks if 4WD's are causing you such issues.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:59 AM   #14
xy500
Constant annoyance

its the wang factor.
the responses here confirm my theory that a lot of the members here are well spoilt for cash, because you almost couldn't own a more expensive car than when you drive a 4wd in the city. It would literally be cheaper over a few years to buy a buzz box and keep it in rego.
its the cool thing because if you drive a 4wd/suv you are sporty and adventurous and have lots of fun in life. At least that's how they're sold. Just ignore the fact that most are never even taken off road even briefly. and those that are, will mostly be occasional weekend warriors.
First its track days/cars now unnecessary 4wd's what next? gold & diamond teeth grills? some of you guys need a sponsor child.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:12 AM   #15
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy500
its the wang factor.
the responses here confirm my theory that a lot of the members here are well spoilt for cash, because you almost couldn't own a more expensive car than when you drive a 4wd in the city. It would literally be cheaper over a few years to buy a buzz box and keep it in rego.
its the cool thing because if you drive a 4wd/suv you are sporty and adventurous and have lots of fun in life. At least that's how they're sold. Just ignore the fact that most are never even taken off road even briefly. and those that are, will mostly be occasional weekend warriors.
First its track days/cars now unnecessary 4wd's what next? gold & diamond teeth grills? some of you guys need a sponsor child.

Wow, don't we have a chip on our shoulder.

I have a Prado first and foremost because i feel its safer for the Mrs and 2 kids, plus the extra room for day to day running around and not to mention holidays.

And yes, i take it offroad all the time.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:31 AM   #16
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe
Why does anyone own anything???

Because they want to!!!!

I have a 4X4 and I live in the city, why does that have to concern anyone, it is no one elses business what car I drive in the city.

I can drive it with no issues, and I can park it with no issues and so can my wife.

Just because I live in the city I can not drive into the country???

Some reasons why I like it:
Great visibility, comfort, great for interstate trips, safety aspect for my family with idiots driving small buzz boxes and running into other cars, fits all my camping gear into it, fits all my hunting gear in it, gets me to my favourite camping spot, gets me out of my favourite camping spot after it rained all night and the track turned to crap, can tow a trailer or boat with ease, gets me places my car can not when I go hunting, gets me to my favourite fishing spot, great to transport car parts in.......just to mention a few.

My wife generally drives it day to day as she feels safer in it and and prefers the fact when she parks it at the shops anyone that runs into it or opens the door into it will damage their car rather than ours due to side steps and bull bars and tow bars, had a guy run into her a while ago (nose to tail) nil damage on our 4X4, the Honda needed to be towed, with the whole front end written off including a smashed windscreen from the bonnet getting pushed back.

The Honda driver said to the wife do you what my details, the wife said, "looks like you been punished enough, I got to get to work"
Nil damage on out 4x4
All your personal reasons are perfectly valid because you use it as a 4WD, fair enough. The truth is you are are less than 1% of 4WD owners in that you use it for its 4WD capability, the vast majority do not.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:21 AM   #17
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

why do people drive a 4wd in the city
why do people drive performance cars when the speed limit varies from as low as 50 and only goes to 100
why do people hate hsv's
why do people have stickers on their car that signify how many are in their family
why do people kill their brain cells with alcohol
why do people pollute their lungs with cigarette smoke
why do people eat junk food even though it will be detrimental to their health

if you need to ask these or many other questions, you will not understand the answer

and the near misses have nothing to do with 4wd's. it is to do with you or the said driver of the 4wd, but unforntunately our government only attack the easy targets or the targets that make money, so the under performing drivers will be rampant for years to come
Old 03-03-2011, 07:35 AM   #18
JC807
sucksqueezebangblow

there aren't many big cars/station wagons on the market anymore, and if you need lots of space thats why people need 4wds.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:11 AM   #19
CODSASR

When I am in the city I get sick of trying to see past them when pulling out of a car park or when there parked on the side of the road I am about to turn into. Almost 90% seem to be driven by people who would have trouble driving and parking a laser let alone a 4x4

2012 SZ TS Territory
Old 03-03-2011, 08:11 AM   #20
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC807
there aren't many big cars/station wagons on the market anymore, and if you need lots of space thats why people need 4wds.
This trend has been around long before Ford stopped making wagons so it has nothing to do with space....

Take a look at the large numbers of P platers with 4WD which have massive lift kits, huge tyres, a cut back tray and rabid dog on the back...

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 03-03-2011, 08:16 AM   #21
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ban trucks & delivery vehicles as well while we're at it.
My employer supplies me one. I use it for what it is designed for 50% of the time, i have no problems parking it and have a better view of surrounding cars whilst driving.
As far as fuel costs & economy. I drive a D40 Navara and get over 700km's to a tank with a mixture of city & outer suburbs driving.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:34 AM   #22
JUZXR8
Hmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
Maybe the O.P is the issue.
Maybe its time to consider some advanced driving lessons instead of trying to push your beliefs that 4WD dont belong on the road with everyone else.
Id hate to see how you handle trucks if 4WD's are causing you such issues.

I didn't see his post as "pushing his beliefs" mate. Just as it as him asking a question.

Everyone is entitled to drive whichever car/s they like, and good on them for doing so. Maybe proper driver training is required for 'City 4WDing' as alot of people seem to be doing it wrong.

You and your wife must be in the 5% of all city bound 4WD Drivers who are competent then, because the majority i see struggle with knowing where the car is positioned on the road.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #23
smally289
growing up is optional

Why do people drive 4x4's in the city? It's a bit like asking why do some people have 500hp, 10" rear wheels and 4" fronts when they are not drag racing.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #24
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy500
its the wang factor.
Top post

So since I have a 4wd as my daily/holiday car which is being setup to do extensive 4wd time I have too much cash, haha, guess you would also hate to know I have a F6 Typhoon sitting in the shed getting prepared to drive it whenever I feel like it which most likely be stuff all considering how much I love driving my 4wd, guess all my hard work earning the money to afford these luxuries I should just give to people who don't help themselves

I drive what I want to drive whenever I want to drive it and nobody has the right to tell me otherwise.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:52 AM   #25
Honest Gaza

I'm with the OP....way too many 4WD's for my liking.

Yes, you are entitled to drive what you like, but please consider the following points :

* You may feel safer because of your field of view, but how about the lesser field of view you create for other car drivers behind you and around you ? Should we all hop in Trucks because they provide the driver with a better field of view ?

* You may feel safer in an accident because they are "tougher". What about their ability to avoid an accident ? Surely, they are not as maneuverable as a car ?

* There have been reports that they are a greater danger to pedestrians than a car....(not sure about the validity of the argument)

So yes, you are entitled to drive whatever you want, but like the OP, I personally would prefer a lot less 4WD's (ie 4WD "styled" vehicles) on the road.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:08 AM   #26
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some of you have mentioned feeling safer in a 4wd. I would have thought Landcruisers/Patrols etc were less safe than family cars like Falcons due to the increased rollover risk and sheer bulk when avoiding an accident? I don't understand why people seem to like them so much, unless they have 6 kids or a boat, they're definitely inappropriate for the city. Petrol guzzling and expensive to maintain. And there is no ride comfort at all!
Old 03-03-2011, 09:26 AM   #27
CODSASR

Well we have our 4th child on the way and are looking for for a new car. Looked at 4x4's but for me I couldnt justify fuel cost plus service cost's plus how unsafe they really are for a family.

Unless you live bush go bush or do alot of towing I really dont see the point of owning a 4x4 there are alot more practical family cars out there

2012 SZ TS Territory
Old 03-03-2011, 09:38 AM   #28
pb02
inconceivable!

I own a 4x4. It's my only vehicle and yes from time to time I drive into the city. I take my 4x4 off road and camping fairly regularly, being a dual cab it gets a lot of stuff thrown in the back. It's the only choice of vehicle that gives me these options. Since we live in a supposedly free country I thought I would have been free to choose whatever vehicle I want!!

The whole banning 4x4's is the stupidest arguement I've ever heard. After we ban them how about banning vans? They have blind spots everywhere and are very hard to see around when your stuck behind them. While we're at it how about banning trucks, if 4x4's are too big then these things are huge!!! Not to mention noisy and always blowing smoke. Another thing, whats the deal with people driving V8's, they use way too much fuel and with the current speed limits you don't need all that power. The same applies for turbo charged cars. I would also like to raise my hand to ban all 2 seat sports cars, talk about impractical.... Also shiny colours and any chrome should be banned as it reflects in sunlight which can be very distracting when driving.....

Yup, by your logic we should all be driving plain white camry's and nothing more. Thanks for your input chairman Mao! (end rant/sarcasm)
Old 03-03-2011, 09:39 AM   #29
sudszy
Banned

I don’t see that whether people go off road or not should be a criteria or justification for using them in our suburbs.
If I drive my leopard tank around in the bush because its the only vehicle that can survive the terrain I like to destroy(and I only want to pay one lot of rego), should l therefore be inflicting my choice on the rest of society on public roads?

Not wishing to single out anyone here, but these statements from XB GS 351 provide the attitudes that should make review of 4wds on our roads an urgent priority.
Quote:
Sorry, its everyone’s business what you do and the effect that it has on safety on public roads.

Quote:
I can drive it with no issues, and I can park it with no issues and so can my wife. Just because I live in the city I can not drive into the country???
Really, so your wife can parallel park the thing without a shop window to assist? One aspect which would half the number of these things on the road would be to institute a licences category for vehicles with a mass over 1.8 tonnes, that means taking the test in a vehicle of that size and seeing if you can safely drive the thing, that would at least get rid of most of the soccer moms and dads who just scraped through their test in a barina or something.

Quote:
Great visibility
Yeh, get great visibility out of the cab of a Kenworth too, the problem is that you reduce visibility for car drivers in traffic, we cant see what is in front of you when you choose to drop into our lane or what is approaching us on the left or right when you position yourself parallel to us at T intersections and the like.
It may be just my imagination, that its 4wd vehicles that don’t seem to pay any attention to what is happening in front, they don’t see someone ahead signalling to turn right and get stuck behind them, especially at lights. Combined with the fact that we cant see the indicator(or brake lights) of the car infront of it due to the mobile eclipse phenomenon of the 4wd it causes great traffic flow and further safety problems.
Oh, but what about trucks they are worse I hear the dimwits cry. Simple fact is there aren’t as many of them(we need them) and they aren’t increasing exponentially like 4wds numbers

Quote:
safety aspect for my family with idiots driving small buzz boxes and running into other cars,
There you go, the prevalent attitude, idiots, mentally deficient people drive smaller cars and cause all the accidents....Ill show em whose boss!

Quote:
fits all my camping gear into it, fits all my hunting gear in it, gets me to my favourite camping spot, gets me out of my favourite camping spot after it rained all night and the track turned to crap, can tow a trailer or boat with ease, gets me places my car can not when I go hunting, gets me to my favourite fishing spot, great to transport car parts in.......just to mention a few.
None of which is any justification for driving one in suburbia, you could always just hire one when you go on holidays.

Quote:
My wife generally drives it day to day as she feels safer in it
Again, at the expense of the rest of the public

Quote:
and prefers the fact when she parks it at the shops anyone that runs into it or opens the door into it will damage their car rather than ours due to side steps and bull bars and tow bars,
More of the same......... why not put metal spikes all around it as well, that will protect your further.

Quote:
, had a guy run into her a while ago (nose to tail) nil damage on our 4X4, the Honda needed to be towed, with the whole front end written off including a smashed windscreen from the bonnet getting pushed back.
Further evidence that they make conditions unsafe for the rest of us.

Governments have allowed this cult to get out of control, there are a number of things we could do to stop it, Ive got a few ideas, anyone else want to share some ideas on effective ways of controlling the number of these things on our roads?

Last edited by sudszy; 03-03-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #30
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8HSV
Hi fellas...

Since I live out of the metropolitan area, I'm lucky that I don't have to drive in and around the city everyday.

However In the past 2 weeks Ive been forced to drive to Perth and in & around the city for most days.

My grunt is: I cant believe how many near misses Ive had with 4wds. I'm no where bias against people driving 4wds - but I have had some really bad run ins with them lately.

I personally don't see why you need to drive these things in the city, with there limited vision. Not to mention how hard people seem to have parking them. Where in Perth do you need to engage the gear box into 4wd???

I thought I was just unlucky to have so many bad encounters with them but it seems so many do in the city. I could add 50+ links on the negativity of them - mainly about the damage they can to do to pedestrians and other cars... But I'm not here to do that.

Im just surprised why people use such a big vehicle in the city. Not to mention the high fuel costs, registration costs and the cost to service them.
Well, the converse question is why drive an XR6T in the country? People drive what they drive - are they supposed to have a 4WD for the country and a hatch or something for the the city (swapping them over at the city limits)?? And even if they don't take them off road at all, who cares - they are a valid choice of vehicle and offer great protection in a crash. Don't confuse a driver's skill level with what they drive - and if you've had a number of near misses, you need to learn to anticipate and show some judgement. ie perhaps be careful around 4WDs with their "reduced" visibility (though where you get that from I don't know - much better forward visibility in a 4WD than a sedan).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Closed Thread