Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Default What the hell is wrong with the world

Hi guys,

No doubt this might be a subject touched on before but your thoughts.
I’m only 25 and will comfortably say I don’t have the experience as allot of the members here will in life. But I remember when I was a young lad with Mum and dad, and they say stop it, we stop. For instance, we use to go to family friends house and they were quite obsessed with their furniture and as a result, if I mucked up they'd let me know and for hours on end Id be watching boring SBS shows. At the age of 6 it wasn’t the greatest thing out there. But I knew my place and knew to respect my parents friends and not to destroy there house.

Nowadays it seems so ok to let your kids be absolute brats! I’ve lost count how many times at a shopping centre I see kids from 10 to 18 hanging just causing trouble. Im now to the point where I feel uncomfortable going to the shops as I may react and then be depicted as "the bad guy" due to ramming a few sh!thead kids heads through the wall!

I know I’m above average in the paranoia department and my Mrs. feels the need to remind me on a weekly basis. I understand that if I go to the city on a Saturday night I am going to see idiots that are drunk and high, but it was a choice to put myself in that environment. But now its to the point were I feel uncomfortable at my own local shops because I just might snap.

There are a million examples I can give. A 10 yr old putting a boot into my mum’s car. Me catching kids graffiti my elderly neighbors’ house yet I was depicted by the parents a a predator because I reacted. Teens having a smart *** thing to say when my Mrs. walks to the shops alone....

The list goes on and on and on.....

Please tell me I’m over reacting, or do I have a just reason to feel like crap?! I am beyond over society and its crap it has to offer....

I remember in primary school my Yr 4 teacher taught me, ignore people who annoy you and they will go away... yet for some reason, the older I get, the ratio of normal people to complete D***heads just seems to get worse and worse....

Sorry for the vent....

Whats your experience?

Old 07-02-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
PHANTMXR6
It's not an FG MKI.......

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile

Yep. I feel for you mate.

I can relate at my local shopping centre.

I put it down to a lack of discipline. Plain and simple. The world has gone soft.

Want to know how to do an A Service for an FG XR6T?

Look in this http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339404

Thinking of oil sampling your engine?

Have a look at this trend http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ght=oil+sample
Old 07-02-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
Eb5litre

You are right, its called the Y generation. Surprisingly you fall into that category, but it seems your parents taught you respect from a younger age, which is rare these days.
As far as being paranoid, don't be. If teenagers mouth off at you at the shops they do it to impress each other. When you stand up to them they s@!* themselves. Never think you are the bad guy if you know you are doing the right thing.
If you don't look for trouble when you go out you wont get it, but when you see someone trashing your mum's car, or graffiti on the neighbours house you have every right to act. Use your phone to take photos as well.
Be confident, never let anyone push you around and stand up for yourself. People are scared of speaking up. Most of the times your best weapon is your mouth.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #4
MAV50L
Banned

Your not overreacting.
I feel exactly the same as you do.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:06 PM   #5
dreadin86
Starter Motor

I agree with ya 100% mate...im 24years old, i have had many off the same issues come up that u have just explained! The new generations of kids coming through are a pain in the ***! They dont want to work, let alone work hard....there selfish, all they do is sit home, smoke dope, play xbox n talk ****...and they wonder why there 18 and aint got no money! I should know, i have to deal wit my younger bro n his mates.

I used to enjoy hitting up town every now n again...not anymore! Anytime im wit my miss's theres always trouble! Young loud mouth kids always have to put there 2 cents in when were out, its lucky ive spent the last few years boxing, coz ive lost count how many times **** has gone down when they whistle n spit **** at my miss's. Be so much easier if everyone kept to themselves n realised u dont need to start **** all the friggin time!

I think a couple of the problems caused are that theres too much sex n violence put in the faces of kids under 12... and parents arent able to spend as much time with there kids coz there workin longer hours n need to pay of mortgage...i can only see things going down hill as each generation comes up!

Coming soon: Kaaz diff w/ 4.11 gears - Pursuit pod gauges ( oil pressure&volts)
Old 07-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #6
nstg8a

i was watching the morning tv today and they were talking about a chinese mum whos very strict on her kids, and they were basically rubbishing her practices saying 'oh,let kids be kids' etc etc. pigs backside i say, young adults are getting worse and worse, and its all down to lack of discipline imo.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:15 PM   #7
PHANTMXR6
It's not an FG MKI.......

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile

Parents need to share some of the blame as well. If they are not teaching their kids the rights and wrongs and letting them get out of hand doing what they like when they like, then they should have something to answer for as well.

Hell, you can't even discipline your kids in public anymore without some whistleblower telling you that you can't do that and it's wrong.

Want to know how to do an A Service for an FG XR6T?

Look in this http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339404

Thinking of oil sampling your engine?

Have a look at this trend http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ght=oil+sample
Old 07-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #8
Kryton

It all started when parents stopped hitting deserving little brats.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:26 PM   #9
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

You're not over-reacting at all. I work in employment services and believe me, some (basically 70%) of the people aged around 18 i have to 'work with' and put into work would make your skin crawl. Our office is a haven of idiocy and violence.

No, i don't work for centrelink!

p.s. not ALL young people are trouble making fools, just a lot of the ones i have to deal with, who have no ambition to work, help, converse, or contribute to society in any way at all.

Last edited by Professor Farnsworth; 07-02-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:31 PM   #10
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

What the hell is wrong with the world?

It's wrong because I'm in it - according to the ex missus that is............

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:46 PM   #11
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Every generation blame the one before it for all the problems of the world and thinks the generation that follows is good for nothing.

Been like that since the ancient days.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #12
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
Every generation blame the one before it for all the problems of the world and thinks the generation that follows is good for nothing.

Been like that since the ancient days.
not at all, parenting has broken down to an all time low and attitude problems are at an all time high.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:52 PM   #13
fordv8!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
here here nothing like a good old fashion flogging to bring you back into line
Old 07-02-2011, 08:03 PM   #14
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

I am a stay at home dad of 3 kids. I know some kids can be brats so I am a responsible parent. My kids do muck around but they got told off and smacked...yes smacked, sometimes hard.
I went to my mates yesterday with the wife and 3 kids. They wanted to jump on the leather lounge. They got told to sit down with their feet off the couch. Then they were asking for drinks they all said please and thankyou because I tell them to, all day every day, and it has sunk in. They then ran up and down the hall way screaming...once. I step in and tell them to calm down. I don't do it in a sugar coat king of way. I tell them so they listen. You may have to raise your voice but I tell you for free asking a child politely in a nice calm tone of voice gets you no where when they are shouting and being hyper.
My kids have manners and will do what they are told when asked...by me.

My only fear is that I will raise them the right way and they may be overlooked or mistreated by kids who may have a mum and dad but not parents and those people won't care that their kid is being a ****.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:07 PM   #15
EF Hoon
Sideways in my 33!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout
What the hell is wrong with the world?

It's wrong because I'm in it - according to the ex missus that is............
^Lol

Sydneys west and south west is fully populated by them.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:10 PM   #16
Barry_v
rocknrolla

The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in lace of
exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:11 PM   #17
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELIIXR8
Hi guys,

No doubt this might be a subject touched on before but your thoughts.
I’m only 25 and will comfortably say I don’t have the experience as allot of the members here will in life. But I remember when I was a young lad with Mum and dad, and they say stop it, we stop. For instance, we use to go to family friends house and they were quite obsessed with their furniture and as a result, if I mucked up they'd let me know and for hours on end Id be watching boring SBS shows. At the age of 6 it wasn’t the greatest thing out there. But I knew my place and knew to respect my parents friends and not to destroy there house.

Nowadays it seems so ok to let your kids be absolute brats! I’ve lost count how many times at a shopping centre I see kids from 10 to 18 hanging just causing trouble. Im now to the point where I feel uncomfortable going to the shops as I may react and then be depicted as "the bad guy" due to ramming a few sh!thead kids heads through the wall!

I know I’m above average in the paranoia department and my Mrs. feels the need to remind me on a weekly basis. I understand that if I go to the city on a Saturday night I am going to see idiots that are drunk and high, but it was a choice to put myself in that environment. But now its to the point were I feel uncomfortable at my own local shops because I just might snap.

There are a million examples I can give. A 10 yr old putting a boot into my mum’s car. Me catching kids graffiti my elderly neighbors’ house yet I was depicted by the parents a a predator because I reacted. Teens having a smart *** thing to say when my Mrs. walks to the shops alone....

The list goes on and on and on.....

Please tell me I’m over reacting, or do I have a just reason to feel like crap?! I am beyond over society and its crap it has to offer....

I remember in primary school my Yr 4 teacher taught me, ignore people who annoy you and they will go away... yet for some reason, the older I get, the ratio of normal people to complete D***heads just seems to get worse and worse....

Sorry for the vent....

Whats your experience?
It's a basic tennant of life that we blame others and don't listen although this can imprve when ageing as you are discovering
Mine ( family) know two ears one mouth to be used in that ration , your observations are correct the ratio of have a clue to idiots is at an all time high (imho)
Parents are now failing to instal the most basic morals and behavior as evidenced by the recent looting and theft around during the storms but on the other hand a lot did help whilst it was going on so there are a lot of decent people also
I remember when I was a youngster in the 50's the local bad boy was a problem until several local parents took care of the matter although the result of that these days would be quite different
As for the answer I don't have them although me and mine try to do the right thing and thas all you can do really ?
Old 07-02-2011, 08:51 PM   #18
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

As Denis Leary once said, I'm glad my parents beat the **** out of me, and I'm looking forward to beating the **** out of my own kids!

And he also said (for those who are too soft to hit their kids) - you don't have to hit them, waving the gun around generally gets the same job done!

Seriously, the amount of kitchen utensils that met my behind when I was a kid was uncountable. But it made me learn (the hard way) right and wrong. A stern "don't do that again" really works well, so much punishment and deterrent there. Hit the little gobshyte and teach it a real lesson!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:57 PM   #19
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
Yep, there is only so many times you can tell a child No.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #20
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

What comes around goes around, mate, karma will take care of everything!!!
Old 07-02-2011, 09:19 PM   #21
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
not at all, parenting has broken down to an all time low and attitude problems are at an all time high.
Yup, been like that for thousands of years.

Here is a quote Plato attributed to Socrates.

Quote:
The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannise their teachers.
and another attributed to Heisod

Quote:
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise [disrespectful] and impatient of restraint
Like I said, each generation thinks the one that follows is disrespectful and lazy, and generally the one before it has caused all our problems. You can find thousands of examples going back in history of people saying the exact same things as is being said in this thread.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:23 PM   #22
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nope your not alone and not over-reacting.
Unfortunately a lot of people no longer have any shame or care about what people say.
In the "good old days" everyone knew their neighbours etc... if so and so's kids played up in the neighbourhood they were told off and then their parents would be told.
The parents would then throttle the kids and thank you for pulling their kid into line.
Try and do that today and you get the parents telling you where to go or much worse!

Late last year I had a conversation with the boyfriend of an old family friend, he is around 25yrs old and asked me (older wiser?) " when did we loose our balls?" He was so fed up with the stupidty shown by the younger generation who simply didnt care....
In my mind i said to myself, well guys like him are a rarity! We have some hope!

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 07-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #23
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't worry fellas, if something as inconsequential as childish behaviour gets your blood pressure up then you'll be dead soon and won't have to worry about it any more.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #24
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

They get to me all the time...some areas are worse than others...i find there are some younger than me who are more mature than those my age and up...

and im 18..

Subaru Outback '02
Old 07-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #25
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

bahaha @ that pic

in 15, and even i tell a heap of other lowlifes/********* (who have actually keyed the EF while it was in the driveway in daylight :shock ) just to **** off.. thats it, just **** off.. they harass me beforehand and the amount of **** i have to take from them is stupid..

I would really love to give them a ****en massive hit over the head, take away all their phones etc, and make them live somewhere that there is no clean water, no clean clothes, where you stink after a week (3rd world country) just so they see how privledged they are with their phones, laptops, facebook, myspace, msn, parents' money and actually just having clean drinking water, a shower and a bed to sleep in.. they should be greatful for that, yet, they go around thinking that they are "top-****" and can do whatever they like..

I have to put up with an entire high school each bloody day, and its worse when your the DJ with no security (yeah, im also a DJ... fun fun fun)

they need to take it for granted that they live in this "multicultral" society.. and not go around destroying other peoples lives.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:46 PM   #26
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

Depends where you live guys

I've noticed in outer suburbs of brissy there are just derro's everywhere

It isnt as bad in a small town like hervey bay, but they're still there.

Key thing is if they mouth to ya at the shops, say something back.
I once walked past some little 15 y.o brat and his mates and one of em called me a poof as i walked past, i was 5x the size of any of these kids and i just said "say it again man, seriously"
They just kept on walking/riding scooters
They only do it to show off, call em on the bluff and they'll feel humiliated
Old 07-02-2011, 09:50 PM   #27
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

People like you xrghiawagon make me think there is still hope

Subaru Outback '02
Old 07-02-2011, 09:57 PM   #28
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
Yup, been like that for thousands of years.

Here is a quote Plato attributed to Socrates.

and another attributed to Heisod

Like I said, each generation thinks the one that follows is disrespectful and lazy, and generally the one before it has caused all our problems. You can find thousands of examples going back in history of people saying the exact same things as is being said in this thread.
Except back then, the world was a little bigger & they had wars to correct it.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:00 PM   #29
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Too many kids grow up not knowing any boundaries.

In older days, kids knew where they were. Kids still mucked up, but they knew when they did, they would reap the consequences of their actions. The other big thing was, everyone was accepting of that fact. Teachers and other parents didn't scream and cry when a child copped it at home.

Too many of Gen Y and beyond have grown up with no real boundaries, from a flawed parenting style that wants to be friends more than parents. They think that discipline will make their kids not love them. What a lack of discipline appears to produce however, is a lack of respect for their parents and other authority figures.

Kids need boundaries, parents need to be in charge. Kids shouldn't be flogged, but they must be made to be accountable for breaching standards set by parents. And that's the major problem that I can see. Parents aren't setting proper boundaries and even the ones they set, they don't properly enforce.

The one's who are meant to be in charge are not and the ones who aren't, are!

It's all downhill from there! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
Old 07-02-2011, 10:11 PM   #30
2002au
Define definitive

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon
bahaha @ that pic

in 15, and even i tell a heap of other lowlifes/********* (who have actually keyed the EF while it was in the driveway in daylight :shock ) just to **** off.. thats it, just **** off.. they harass me beforehand and the amount of **** i have to take from them is stupid..

I would really love to give them a ****en massive hit over the head, take away all their phones etc, and make them live somewhere that there is no clean water, no clean clothes, where you stink after a week (3rd world country) just so they see how privledged they are with their phones, laptops, facebook, myspace, msn, parents' money and actually just having clean drinking water, a shower and a bed to sleep in.. they should be greatful for that, yet, they go around thinking that they are "top-****" and can do whatever they like..

I have to put up with an entire high school each bloody day, and its worse when your the DJ with no security (yeah, im also a DJ... fun fun fun)

they need to take it for granted that they live in this "multicultral" society.. and not go around destroying other peoples lives.
mate, im 15 aswell. and these are my thoughts EXACTLY! i remember me and my brother (his now 30) this year were just walking through town and we over heard these these scummy 14-16 year olds say " look at these tall faggots" and pointed to us. so my brother comes straight out saying, you stupid c**t's are seriously saying **** to us, were like twice your hight. good luck with life fella's. your gonna need it" they walked off instantly! btw im like 6 foot 4 and my brothers 6 foot 6 haha
BF F6 TYPHOON in NEO #718 ~ 356rwkw :
BF XR6 TURBO in SILHOUETTE
Closed Thread