Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-01-2011, 12:03 PM   #1
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

Default Drunk consequences advert

If I could find a link to show you the ad I would but I can't find it.
I'll describe it.
Group of people at a bar drinking. One guy has had a fair bit and nearly falls from his stool. Laughing and having a good time.
Guy standing next to him looks concerned at his mate and stops him from falling off his stool.
Cuts to the guy who was sitting on the stool now in a wheel chair trying to tell his concerned mate that he did nothing (wrong). "Mate you did nothing. You did nothing." Concerned mate looks as though its his fault.

I didn't understand this ad at all. It made no sense to me.
I initially though the concerned guy had an accident causing his mate to be in a wheel chair; it didn't make sense because why would the guy in the wheel chair say its not his fault.

I just figured it out however . The guy in wheel chair must of had his own accident causing the loss of use of his legs. The concerned mate is thinking he should of stopped his mate drinking so much and/or stopped his mate from driving.

I think its not a very effective ad. Its not clear enough what happened. They should of showed the guy having the accident by himself.

Anyone seen this ad? Did you get it first time you saw it?
Anyone find a link for it?

Old 30-01-2011, 12:21 PM   #2
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Yeah I got that ad as soon as I saw it. It was pretty easy to figure out that the guy felt guilty for allowing his mate to drive home. What they do not show which annoyed me, is how very very hard it is to get your mate to hand over his keys. I have a mate who had 3 pints in 1 1/2 hours, he is a cheap drunk and was tipsy after the first, I told him not to drive, even explained as an ambo I don't want to scrape him and any innocent victims off the road, but no he was bullet proof and short of pinning him down and knocking him unconcious he wasn't handing over his keys. The other problem is you might lose a mate because they feel offended and possibly embarassed that you tried to obtain their keys in a public.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
HLC
Audi S3

"mate you did nothing"

that is the key to that add. Not so much how the dude got paralysed, but about doing nothing.

It works in the sense that:

a) you did nothing - as in you did nothing to stop me. or;

b) you did nothing - its not your fault, i was a drunk idiot.

The purpose behind that is to get both the drinker thinking about their own actions and consequences, and mates thinking about their in-actions and subsequent consequences.

and, i cant really remember the finer details of the add, but I assumed the guy binned it off the stool and got paralysed that way, I dont recall seeing anything about driving in there.
Old 30-01-2011, 04:31 PM   #4
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

They didn't show how he got injured.
As Spudz said it would be extremely hard to get your mate to hand over his keys without making him look like an idiot and getting into a fight about.
"mate you did nothing" is the key to the ad but it took a while for me to work out what he was on about, as you didn't see the accident (car or fall off bar stool).

I drove to a pub once and got paralytic. I was asked to leave because I fell asleep on a table. My mates shoved me in the back of a mates car who wasn't drinking and drove me to their place to sleep. I went back the next day and got my car.

I'm saying the ad needs to show the accident or more of a lead up of his mate "doing nothing" prior to the accident.
Old 30-01-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowEL2XR8
They didn't show how he got injured.
As Spudz said it would be extremely hard to get your mate to hand over his keys without making him look like an idiot and getting into a fight about.
"mate you did nothing" is the key to the ad but it took a while for me to work out what he was on about, as you didn't see the accident (car or fall off bar stool).

I drove to a pub once and got paralytic. I was asked to leave because I fell asleep on a table. My mates shoved me in the back of a mates car who wasn't drinking and drove me to their place to sleep. I went back the next day and got my car.

I'm saying the ad needs to show the accident or more of a lead up of his mate "doing nothing" prior to the accident.
they don't need to show the accident/how it happened at all. It clearly gives you a good indication of him slipping on the stool, the mate-who-did-nothing, saying, 'you right mate' and then the drunk guy receiving another round.

It shows the mate-who-did-nothing doing exactly that. He didn't pull his mate aside and send him home or whatever.

the add is VERY CLEAR, and as I said in my prior post, it get's you thinking from both sides of the fence- ie, to not get too drunk that you cannot control your actions and could hurt yourself, or to not put up with drunks and look after your mates.

not sure what is confusing about the add these adds are designed to provoke thought about actions (or lack-there-of) vs. consequences.
Old 30-01-2011, 06:18 PM   #6
3vXT

I haven't seen it but from the way it's described it doesn't sound like it's talking about drink driving specifically. To me it sounds like it's showing one of the potential dangers of drinking too much and suggesting that we should try to slow ourselves and our friends down before we get to that point.
Obviously that could apply to driving or sitting on a bar stool or any number of things.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #7
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

Him nearly falling off his stool though to me was indication of how drunk he was not that he was about to have an accident.
Maybe because its so unrealistic is why I don't get it. His behaviour isn't bad so I wouldn't step in until he gets a bit rowdy or tries to drive. This ad shows neither.
If your mate is drinking and laughing and having a good time which is all the ad shows why would you be concerned?
I've leaned back on a chair sober and nearly fallen off so in my opinion that wasn't anything but an indication of his level of intoxication.

The ad does get me thinking about both sides. It also got me thinking what was that about?

My wife thought the concerned bloke had a car accident and caused his mate to be wheel chair bound. I told her that didn't make any sense cause I sure would be blaming him and my own stupidity for getting into a car with a drunk at the wheel, and the guy said "mate, you did nothing", so that didn't make sense.

I just think the as would be better if he watched his mate leave the pub and go to his car and he stood there doing nothing or if it is falling off a bar stool that this should of been shown. Like that other ad that shows the drunk guy dancing and knocking the pregnant lady into the corner of the table and she loses her baby.
If you just saw him drunk dancing and then a lady being told she lost her baby I'd be like WTF?
Old 30-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #8
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
I haven't seen it but from the way it's described it doesn't sound like it's talking about drink driving specifically. To me it sounds like it's showing one of the potential dangers of drinking too much and suggesting that we should try to slow ourselves and our friends down before we get to that point.
Obviously that could apply to driving or sitting on a bar stool or any number of things.
Good point. Maybe thats why they aren't showing what happened. You use your imagination as to what caused the guy to be in the wheel chair.

I don't know why I didn't get this first 100 times I saw this ad.
Old 30-01-2011, 06:55 PM   #9
3vXT

Well there are a thousand ways people hurt themselves and each other when they drink too much, getting behind the wheel is the obvious one but not the most likely. I think it's probably a good idea if the ad is generalising the specific incident and focusing on the root cause (being sh'tfaced).

Some people probably think getting blind drunk is safe as long as they don't get behind the wheel, this ad is probably aimed at them or at their slightly soberer mates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowEL2XR8

I don't know why I didn't get this first 100 times I saw this ad.
Here's a chance to regain your mental mojo http://www1.math.american.edu/newstu...isapuzzle.html
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2011, 07:01 PM   #10
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903

Some people probably think getting blind drunk is safe as long as they don't get behind the wheel, this ad is probably aimed at them or at their slightly soberer mates.
Your on the ball.

Edit: I failed that mental test.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:49 PM   #11
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

http://www.alcoholthinkagain.com.au/...0Campaign.aspx

Found the advert. Its in that link.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:38 PM   #12
gtfpv
GT

i dont know anyone who has manged to stop someone from driving under the influence . i have seen many people offer a bed , or ask someone not to bother driving , but i have never seen anyone successfully convince someone not to drive . to do this you would have to be forcefull .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2011, 10:35 PM   #13
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
i dont know anyone who has manged to stop someone from driving under the influence . i have seen many people offer a bed , or ask someone not to bother driving , but i have never seen anyone successfully convince someone not to drive . to do this you would have to be forcefull .
Back in October i was at a one of our bowls trial games with a few friends.
One of the group was a 60yr old who had just been diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Although the doctors had urged him not to drink, by last drinks he was paraletic on port.
His partner was the barmaid and both had arrived in seperate cars.
As she had to stay behind and close the bar, he decided to drive home

I followed him out into the carpark and watched him open his car door, the next thing i know he is lying flat on his back over the drivers seat, feet hanging out.
I went over and picked him up and pleaded with him to not drive...he wouldnt listen and became agitated.
It was at this point that i remembered someone mention him being a former driving instructor.
I asked him if he would allow one of his students to drive in this condition...he handed over the keys and i organised a lift home for him.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2011, 11:00 PM   #14
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
Back in October i was at a one of our bowls trial games with a few friends.
One of the group was a 60yr old who had just been diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Although the doctors had urged him not to drink, by last drinks he was paraletic on port.
His partner was the barmaid and both had arrived in seperate cars.
As she had to stay behind and close the bar, he decided to drive home

I followed him out into the carpark and watched him open his car door, the next thing i know he is lying flat on his back over the drivers seat, feet hanging out.
I went over and picked him up and pleaded with him to not drive...he wouldnt listen and became agitated.
It was at this point that i remembered someone mention him being a former driving instructor.
I asked him if he would allow one of his students to drive in this condition...he handed over the keys and i organised a lift home for him.
I've spent my fair share of time around bowls clubs (my grandfather played, dad plays, my brother and I both played) and I know exactly what you mean about older blokes being reluctant to hand over their keys after having one (or more) too many. Good job on handling that situation - it certainly could've ended badly.

I've known a few bloke that have had crashes driving drunk; one got drunk and ended up going sideways through a couple of young trees - luckily he walked away from the accident... I've known a few others that weren't so lucky.
93EB_SXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #15
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Closest I got to stopping someone was refusing to get into their car, tried to reason with them, physically stop them, then they got in and went off in a huff anyway.

About 10 minutes later returned going "what the eff was I doing?!"
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #16
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

So wait on
I watched the video, and it doesn't seem that cars came into play at all
It's somehow the mate's fault that this guy DECIDED to get ****ed to the point that he hurt himself?
Personal Responsibility? WHAAAA?
Old 10-02-2011, 08:53 PM   #17
Work Horse
Budget Racer

I believe the add is about changing our culture. Most of us (myself included), believe getting rat faced is acceptable behaviour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by from the ad
The latest phase of the Alcohol.Think Again campaign was launched on Sunday September 12, 2010. The campaign focuses on decreasing the problems that result from drinking too much on one occasion and tolerating drunken behaviour.

The key campaign messages are:

Tolerating drunken behaviour can have serious consequences.
There are a range of problems that may occur as a result of drinking too much on one occasion including (but not limited to) falls, burns, pedestrian injuries, assault, road traffic injuries.
It is everyone’s responsibility to discourage drunken behaviour to prevent alcohol-related harm among drunk people and those around them.
Harmful alcohol use is supported by some social customs and environments that make alcohol available and affordable.

This phase of the campaign will feature a television advertising strategy to be accompanied by a planned unpaid media strategy.

The campaign is being developed in partnership with the Injury Control Council of WA.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:14 AM   #18
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse
I believe the add is about changing our culture. Most of us (myself included), believe getting rat faced is acceptable behaviour.
It still would be acceptable behaviour for me, but the consequences I suffer are just getting too much now that I'm 30. It should not take me til 4pm to recover!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post